ETRI successfully exchanged quantum information on daylight in a free-space quantum key distribution
The Electronics and Telecommunications Research Institute (ETRI) has reported a successful free-space quantum key distribution (QKD) in daylight with the self-developed polarization encoding chip for the first time. QKD is one of the most promising secure communication technologies, which encodes information into a single-photon, the smallest measurable unit of light. By using the quantum mechanical properties of the single-photon, quantum cryptography guarantees secure information exchange between the distant parties. The report is particularly worthy of attention in two points as follows.
First, ETRI’s free-space QKD system works successfully even during the daylight whereas most other systems have failed to operate properly due to substantial amount of noise photons from sunlight. By developing and adopting elaborate noise filtering technologies, ETRI’s QKD system achieved the secure key rate of 142.94 kbps with quantum bit error rate of 4.26% in daylight over the free-space distance of 275 m .
Second, ETRI’s QKD system is configured with the self-developed polarization encoding chip, which dramatically reduces the size of the system compared to conventional QKD systems. Miniaturizing key components is highly important to make QKD systems to be used for the secure communication solution of several applications requiring light-weight such as Unmanned Aircraft Vehicle (UAV) and automotive cars, whose security is one of the critical concerns. The chip-based QKD component of ETRI is considered as a core technology for the commercialization of QKD system in various fields.
ETRI is now applying their integrated-chip technologies to other optical components to realize miniaturized QKD transceiver modules. Also, ETRI is trying to conduct the free-space QKD experiments for the extended transmission distance in daylight.
The Latest on: Quantum key distribution
via Google News
The Latest on: Quantum key distribution
- Beware the quantum computerson April 11, 2021 at 8:30 am
Today’s encryption technology will be putty in the hands of those running the post-quantum world. How equipped are we to safekeep our secrets and interests?
- Global Quantum Key Distribution (QKD) Market Size, Share, Value, And Competitive Landscape 2021 - 2026on April 9, 2021 at 2:38 am
The MarketWatch News Department was not involved in the creation of this content. Apr 09, 2021 (Heraldkeepers) -- The global Quantum Key Distribution (QKD) market report is a comprehensive research ...
- Quantum technologies for computing, comms and imaging at Hannover Messeon April 8, 2021 at 7:17 pm
Optics- and photonics-dependent quantum technologies continue to proliferate. The Fraunhofer Institute for Applied Optics and Precision Engineering (IOF) is set to showcase its la ...
- Gigahertz measurement-device-independent quantum key distribution using directly modulated laserson April 8, 2021 at 3:29 am
Measurement-device-independent quantum key distribution (MDI-QKD) is a technique for quantum-secured communication that eliminates all detector side-channels, although is currently limited by ...
- Quantum Xchange Makes Quantum-Safe Encryption Available and Affordable to Organizations of Any Size with the Launch of Phio TX-Don April 6, 2021 at 6:01 am
Quantum Xchange, a leader in quantum-safe products and services for crypto agility and quantum readiness, today announced the general availability of Phio Trusted Xchange (TX) model D (Phio TX-D). The ...
- Toppan and NICT Enter Agreement for Joint Research on Post-Quantum Public Key Cryptographyon April 6, 2021 at 3:06 am
Concept for joint research by Toppan and the NICT. Aiming to incorporate quantum-safe cryptography into quantum secure cloud technology and enable secure communication, storage, a ...
- Items filtered by date: April 2021on April 2, 2021 at 12:56 pm
With Trusted Repeater, SK Telecom claims that it has extended the distance record for Quantum Key Distribution (QKD) to 112 kilometers. Prior to the development of this quantum repeater, the maximum ...
- Application of Quantum Computing Rising in BFSI and Cybersecurity Sectorson April 1, 2021 at 5:16 am
Similarly, quantum-safe algorithms, quantum key distribution, and quantum random number generators (QRNGs) are gaining widespread popularity in the field of cybersecurity. Considering the ...
- Dr. Vikram Sharma, Founder and CEO of QuintessenceLabs, Accepted Into Forbes Technology Councilon March 30, 2021 at 7:00 am
Dr. Vikram Sharma, Founder and CEO of QuintessenceLabs, the leader in quantum cybersecurity, was accepted into prestigious Forbes Technology Council.
via Bing News