Researchers develop tool for speedy diagnosis of bacterial infections
Using a small and inexpensive biosensor, researchers at UBC Okanagan, in collaboration with the University of Calgary, have built a diagnostic tool that provides health care practitioners almost instant diagnosis of a bacterial infection.
The tool is able to provide accurate and reliable results in real-time rather than the two-to-five days required for existing processes that test infections and antibiotic susceptibility.
“Advances in lab-on-a-chip microfluidic technology are allowing us to build smaller and more intricate devices that, in the medical research space, can provide more information for health care practitioners while requiring less invasive sampling from patients,” explains Mohammad Zarifi, an assistant professor at UBC Okanagan.
According to health care statistics from 2017, every hour of delay in antibiotic treatment increases mortality rates by nearly eight per cent due to infection complications in the bloodstream.
Zarifi, and his research group in the School of Engineering’s Microelectronics and Advanced Sensors Laboratory, tested their device by tracking the amount of bacteria present in a variety of samples under various scenarios. The scenarios resembled those encountered in clinical microbiological laboratories.
By sending a microwave signal through the sample, the device quickly and accurately analyzes and then generates a profile of existing bacteria.
The diagnostic tool not only provides a rapid, label-free and contactless diagnostic tool for clinical analysis but it also goes further, says Zarifi.
“The device is able to rapidly detect bacteria and in addition, it screens the interaction of that bacteria with antibiotics,” he adds. “The combined results give health care practitioners more information than they currently have available, helping them move forward to determine accurate treatments.”
This biosensor, explains Zarifi is a significant step forward in improving the complex antibiotic susceptibility testing workflow and provides a rapid and automated detection of bacteria as well as screening the bacteria proliferation in response to antibiotics.
The Latest on: Diagnostic tool
via Google News
The Latest on: Diagnostic tool
- Automotive Diagnostic Scan Tools Market Estimated to a Hike in Growth By Product Type and Forecast Period 2021-2030on August 20, 2021 at 5:41 am
Acumen Research and Consulting has announced the addition of the "Automotive Diagnostic Scan Tools Market” report to their offering. The Automotive Diagnostic Scan Tools Market Report 2018 is an ...
- Automotive Diagnostic Scan Tools Market by Trends, Key Players, Driver, Segmentation, Forecast to 2027on August 18, 2021 at 11:26 am
The report for Automotive Diagnostic Scan Tools Market offers an assiduous analysis of contemporary market trends, driving factors, consumer behaviour, key player strategies, product usage and brand ...
- A structured approach to control system diagnosticson August 18, 2021 at 6:22 am
Control system diagnosis is an often-underused tool, and in the worst of cases, not used at all. But in the same way that a patient goes to the doctor for diagnostic tests to monitor their health, our ...
- Ai Based Medical Diagnostic Tools Market May attain a New Growth Trajectory, Players – Viz.ai, Inc., Aidoc, Arterys Inc., Icometrix.on August 17, 2021 at 3:52 am
The Ai Based Medical Diagnostic Tools Market research experts at Decisive Markets Insights have effectively and efficiently formulated a report on the Ai Based Medical Diagnostic Tools Market market ...
- Automotive Diagnostic Tools Market Recent Developments, Research Analysis Forecast 2027on August 17, 2021 at 2:03 am
Automotive Diagnostic Tools Market Inquire about is an insights report with fastidious endeavors attempted to audit the correct and important data. The information which has been looked upon is ...
- Detecting Covid-19 May Become Faster As CRISPR Technology Shows Potential As A Diagnostic Toolon August 15, 2021 at 10:36 pm
US researchers have developed a CRISPR technology that could potentially identify antibodies in blood samples of Covid patients faster than the existing tests for Covid-19. TheHealthSite.com ...
- Automotive Diagnostic Tool Market is anticipated to show a robust growth rate during the forecasted period of 2021-2031on August 11, 2021 at 10:25 pm
The global is expected to witness high growth during the forecast period. A survey offers detailed analysis on key growth drivers of Automotive Diagnostic Tool and trends accelerating Automotive ...
- Automotive Diagnostic Tools Market Analysis by Size, Share, Key Drivers, Growth Opportunities and Trends 2021 – 2027on August 9, 2021 at 5:00 pm
Automotive Diagnostic Tools Market report provides a detailed evaluation of the market by highlighting information on different aspects which include drivers, restraints, opportunities ...
via Bing News