Researchers at the University of Waterloo have developed a new system that could significantly speed up the discovery of new drugs and reduce the need for costly and time-consuming laboratory tests.
The new technology called Pattern to Knowledge (P2K) can predict the binding of biosequences in seconds and potentially reduce bottlenecks in drug research.
P2K uses artificial intelligence (AI) to leverage deep knowledge from data instead of relying solely on classical machine learning.
“P2K is a game changer given its ability to reveal subtle protein associations entangled in complex physiochemical environments and powerfully predict interactions based only on sequence data,” said Andrew Wong, professor, Systems Design Engineering, and Founding Director, Centre for Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (CPAMI). “The ability to access this deep knowledge from proven scientific results will shift biological research going forward. P2K has the power to transform how data could be used in the future.”
Although a large amount of biological sequence data has been collected, extracting meaningful and useful knowledge hasn’t been easy. P2K algorithms tackle this challenge by disentangling multiple associations to identify and predict amino acid bindings that govern protein interactions. Since P2K is much faster than existing biosequence analysis software with almost 30 per cent better prediction accuracy, it could significantly speed up the discovery of new drugs. By drawing information from databases in the Cloud, P2K could predict how tumour proteins and potential cancer treatments would interact.
Although still in the early prototype stage, Professor Wong and his team have made the online P2K system available publicly to researchers to start identifying new bio-sequence interactions.
“Putting this AI technology in the hands of biomedical researchers will generate immediate results, which could be used for future scientific discoveries,” said Antonio Sze-To, research associate, Systems Design Engineering, and co-inventor of P2K.
Since it analyzes sequential data, the applicability of P2K isn’t limited to biomedical research. P2K could benefit the financial industry by making useful associations and predictions for smart trading or the cybersecurity sector by predicting the likelihood of a potential cyber attack.
The Latest on: Drug discovery
via Google News
The Latest on: Drug discovery
- AI in Drug Discovery Market Value Expected to Grow at CAGR of 42.2% from 2021-2027on April 30, 2021 at 5:15 am
Whipsmartmi com offers Global Artificial Intelligence in Drug Discovery Market from its research database The AI in drug discovery industry is expected to grow USD 342 16 million at CAGR of 42 2 from ...
- Drug Discovery Informatics Market SWOT Analysis by Key Players: Charles River Laboratories, Collaborative Drug Discovery, Certaraon April 27, 2021 at 12:31 pm
Get a view on global Drug Discovery Informatics market sales by marketing channels. Target important market by region and tap important dynamics of this industry.
- InveniAI and Shionogi Enter AI-Powered Multi-Target Drug Discovery Collaborationon April 27, 2021 at 5:12 am
Teams will work together by leveraging InveniAI’s technology to identify, evaluate, and optimize novel targets for drug discovery ; Shionogi will synthesize and develop compound ...
- Here’s a look at natural product drug discovery 2.0on April 26, 2021 at 2:33 pm
Plant-based drug discovery may be tens of thousands of years old, but in 2021, it feels exciting, rich, and full of potential. Companies are rapidly building scalable databases with hundreds of ...
- Drug Discovery Market 2021 : Top Countries Data with Analysis of Key Trends, Industry Dynamics and Future Growth 2025on April 22, 2021 at 8:28 pm
The MarketWatch News Department was not involved in the creation of this content. Apr 22, 2021 (The Expresswire) -- According to 360 Research Reports, the “Drug Discovery Market" 2021 by Types (Small ...
- Drug-discovery collaboration finds potential new antimalarial drug candidateson April 22, 2021 at 7:49 pm
Potential new antimalarial drug candidates are being developed through an extended drug-discovery collaboration between Australian medical research institute WEHI and Janssen Pharmaceutica NV. The ...
- How COVID-19 Impacting AI for Drug Discovery Market? Top Key Players: Atomwise, Inc., Insilico Medicine, Numerateon April 22, 2021 at 12:09 am
A new market study report by The Insight Partners on the AI for Drug Discovery Market has been released with reliable information and accurate forecasts for a better understanding of the current and ...
- Growing Drug Discovery In Academia - the IRIC-IRICoR model in Quebecon April 20, 2021 at 8:45 am
The Biotechnology Innovation Organization is the world's largest biotech trade association. Learn about BIO, register for events and explore member services.
- Drug Discovery Market – Detailed Analysis of Current Industry Figures with Forecasts Growth By 2028on April 18, 2021 at 10:32 pm
Selbyville, Delaware According to the research report titled 'GLOBAL Drug Discovery Market 2019-2028', available with Market Study Report LLC, worldwide drug discovery market size to record a yearly ...
via Bing News