Researchers at the University of Waterloo have developed a new system that could significantly speed up the discovery of new drugs and reduce the need for costly and time-consuming laboratory tests.
The new technology called Pattern to Knowledge (P2K) can predict the binding of biosequences in seconds and potentially reduce bottlenecks in drug research.
P2K uses artificial intelligence (AI) to leverage deep knowledge from data instead of relying solely on classical machine learning.
“P2K is a game changer given its ability to reveal subtle protein associations entangled in complex physiochemical environments and powerfully predict interactions based only on sequence data,” said Andrew Wong, professor, Systems Design Engineering, and Founding Director, Centre for Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (CPAMI). “The ability to access this deep knowledge from proven scientific results will shift biological research going forward. P2K has the power to transform how data could be used in the future.”
Although a large amount of biological sequence data has been collected, extracting meaningful and useful knowledge hasn’t been easy. P2K algorithms tackle this challenge by disentangling multiple associations to identify and predict amino acid bindings that govern protein interactions. Since P2K is much faster than existing biosequence analysis software with almost 30 per cent better prediction accuracy, it could significantly speed up the discovery of new drugs. By drawing information from databases in the Cloud, P2K could predict how tumour proteins and potential cancer treatments would interact.
Although still in the early prototype stage, Professor Wong and his team have made the online P2K system available publicly to researchers to start identifying new bio-sequence interactions.
“Putting this AI technology in the hands of biomedical researchers will generate immediate results, which could be used for future scientific discoveries,” said Antonio Sze-To, research associate, Systems Design Engineering, and co-inventor of P2K.
Since it analyzes sequential data, the applicability of P2K isn’t limited to biomedical research. P2K could benefit the financial industry by making useful associations and predictions for smart trading or the cybersecurity sector by predicting the likelihood of a potential cyber attack.
The Latest on: Drug discovery
via Google News
The Latest on: Drug discovery
- Drug Discovery Market 2022 Size, Revenue, Growth Rate, Restraints, Forecast Analysis By 2031on May 19, 2022 at 12:42 am
Kenneth Research has evaluated the current market opportunities in Drug Discovery Market in the healthcare industry for the for ...
- Drug Discovery Services Market Industry Key Players, Trends, Sales, Supply, Demand, Analysis and Forecast to 2025on May 18, 2022 at 10:44 pm
Snapshot The global drug discovery services market is thriving on account of the rising impetus given to research ...
- UTMB drug discovery partnership awarded $56 million granton May 18, 2022 at 3:47 pm
A $56 million grant from the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases will establish an Antiviral Drug Discovery (AViDD) Center for Pathogens of Pandemic Concern at the University of ...
- PostEra spearheads AI-driven drug discovery collaboration to develop antiviral therapeutics with initial $68M in NIH fundingon May 18, 2022 at 1:50 pm
BOSTON, May 18, 2022 /PRNewswire/ -- PostEra, a biotechnology company specializing in machine learning for preclinical drug discovery, today announced a multi-year collaboration with the National ...
- Artificial intelligence makes a splash in small-molecule drug discoveryon May 17, 2022 at 5:34 am
Companies applying artificial intelligence tools in small-molecule drug discovery have recently attracted substantial financing and a multitude of large pharma partners.
- BenevolentAI Says Achieves Third Milestone In AI-enabled Drug Discovery Collaboration With AZNon May 16, 2022 at 10:16 pm
(AZN.L, AZN) has selected an additional novel target for idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis for its drug development portfolio, resulting in a milestone payment to BenevolentAI, the clinical-stage ...
- BenevolentAI achieves third milestone in its AI-enabled drug discovery collaboration with AstraZenecaon May 16, 2022 at 10:00 pm
Second novel target for idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis was discovered using BenevolentAI's drug discovery platform and selected for AstraZeneca's drug development portfolioA total of three targets have ...
- Fujitsu and RIKEN start joint research on next-generation IT drug discovery technology using the supercomputer Fugaku and simulation integrated AIon May 16, 2022 at 7:58 pm
Fujitsu Limited and RIKEN today launched a joint research project on next-generation IT drug discovery technology utilizing the supercomputer Fugaku(1), aiming to accelerate DX (digital transformation ...
- Sosei Heptares and Kallyope Enter Collaboration to Identify and Validate Novel Gastrointestinal GPCR Targets for Drug Discoveryon May 16, 2022 at 6:30 pm
Collaboration is part of Sosei Heptares’ Target Identification and Validation (TIV) strategy to leverage multiple sophisticated technologies that drive creation of new drug discovery programs in key ...
via Bing News