A cutting-edge material, inspired by nature, that can regulate its own temperature and could equally be used to treat burns and help space capsules withstand atmospheric forces is under development at the University of Nottingham.
The research paper, Temperature – dependent polymer absorber as a switchable state NIR reactor, is published in the journal Scientific Reportstoday (Friday 26 October).
“A major challenge in material science is to work out how to regulate man-made material temperature as the human body can do in relationship to its environment,” explains lead author Dr Mark Alston, Assistant Professor in Environmental Design, from the Faculty of Engineering.
The research used a network of multiple microchannels with active flowing fluids (fluidics) as a method and proof of concept to develop a thermally-functional material made of a synthetic polymer.
The material is enhanced with precise control measures that can switch conductive states to manage its own temperature in relationship to its environment.
“This bio-inspired engineering approach advances the structural assembly of polymers for use in advanced materials. Nature uses fluidics to regulate and manage temperature in mammals and in plants to absorb solar radiation though photosynthesis and this research used a leaf-like model to mimic this function in the polymer.”
Dr Alston adds: “This approach will result in an advanced material that can absorb high solar radiation, as the human body can do, to cool itself autonomously whatever the environment it is placed in. A thermally-functional material could be used as a heat regulation system for burn injuries to cool skin surface temperature and monitor and improve healing.”
This kind of heat flow management could also prove invaluable in space flight where high solar loads can cause thermal stresses on the structural integrity of space capsules.
By regulation of the structural material temperature of the vehicle, this will not only advance structural properties but could also generate useful power.
This thermal energy could be removed from the re-circulated fluid system to be stored in a reservoir tank on board the capsule. Once captured, the energy could be converted into electrical energy or to heat water for use by the crew.
The experimental side of this research is laboratory-based and has been developed in collaboration with UK Government research institute: Scientific Research Facilities Council (SRFC).
The next steps for the research are to secure funding for a demonstrator scale-up to present to aerospace manufacturing and to identify an industrial partner.
The Latest on: Composite material
via Google News
The Latest on: Composite material
- Toyota Tundra composite seatback design awarded 2022 Altair Enlighten Awardon August 3, 2022 at 8:58 am
Gate, L&L Products and Toyota limited an all-steel assembly, cutting 60 parts down to four composite pieces for 20% weight savings.
- Thermoplastic Composite Global Market to Reach $22.83 Billion in 2026 from $17.99 Billion in 2022on August 3, 2022 at 1:28 am
The "Thermoplastic Composite Global Market Report 2022" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The global thermoplastic composite market is expected to grow from $16.71 billion in ...
- Wind Turbine Composite Materials Market will grow gradually at 7.14% CAGR during the forecast period of 2022-2032on August 1, 2022 at 4:57 am
In its latest report, ESOMAR-certified market research firm Future Market Insights offers an extensive study on the market for Wind Turbine Composite Materials. FMI provides a new study to elucidate ...
- Wind Turbine Composite Materials Market projected growth is 7.14% during the forecast period from 2022 to 2032on July 31, 2022 at 11:17 pm
In its latest report, ESOMAR-certified market research firm Future Market Insights offers an extensive study on the market for Wind Turbine Composite Materials. FMI provides a new study to ...
- Composite Material Market 2022: Analysis of Top Key Players, Share, Growth, Market Size, Industry Trends, Opportunities and Forecast 2028on July 28, 2022 at 8:17 am
Composite Material Market SWOT Analysis Including Key Players Element Materials Technology, Henkel AG & CO, KGaA, Exova Group plc, Westmoreland Mechanical Testing & Research Inc, Instron ...
- Omega Systèmes, expands composite formatting capabilities to meet the increasing demands of future aerospace programson July 28, 2022 at 2:12 am
This production-proven line will be dedicated to efficiently manufacture spooled thermoset slit tape within a controlled aerospace-grade environment. This new line will provide improved material ...
- Composite Material Rainscreen Cladding Market SWOT Analysis By 2028 | Size, Scope, Top Companies, Growth Drivers By VMRon July 26, 2022 at 9:01 pm
The study focuses on global companies that operate in the Global Composite Material Rainscreen Cladding Market and includes information such as company profiles, product samples and descriptions, ...
- Levidian partners with composite leader Adamanton July 25, 2022 at 6:27 am
Over the next three years, the two companies will leverage their specialist understanding of advanced materials to incorporate Levidian’s sustainable graphene in a range of composite materials. The ...
- Stratasys Debuts Composite Printers and New Materialson July 21, 2022 at 5:00 pm
Stratasys took a big step forward by introducing composite friendy machines – based on the successful F123 Series – and also unveiling new materials that include composites designed for strength.
via Bing News