Using tiny micromotors to diagnose and treat disease in the human body could soon be a reality.
But keeping these devices intact as they travel through the body remains a hurdle. Now in a study appearing in ACS Nano, scientists report that they have found a way to encapsulate micromotors into pills. The pill’s coating protects the devices as they traverse the digestive system prior to releasing their drug cargo.
About the width of a human hair, micromotors are self-propelled microscopic robots designed to perform a host of biomedical tasks. In previous research, Joseph Wang, Liangfang Zhang and colleagues used micromotors coated with an antibiotic to treat ulcers in laboratory mice. They found that this approach produced better results than just taking the drugs by themselves. However, the researchers noted that body fluids, such as gastric acid and intestinal fluids, can compromise the effectiveness of micromotors and trigger early release of their payloads. In addition, when taken orally in fluid, some of the micromotors can get trapped in the esophagus. To overcome these issues, Wang and Zhang sought to develop a way to protect and carry these devices into the stomach without compromising their mobility or effectiveness.
The researchers created a pill composed of a pair of sugars — lactose and maltose — that encapsulated tens of thousands of micromotors made of a magnesium/titanium dioxide core loaded with a fluorescent dye cargo. These sugars were chosen because they are easy to mold into tablet, can disintegrate when needed and are nontoxic. When given to laboratory mice, these pills improved the release and retention of the micromotors in the stomach compared to those encapsulated in silica-based tablets or in a liquid solution. The researchers concluded that encapsulating micromotors in traditional pill form improves their ability to deliver medicines to specific targets without diminishing their mobility or performance.
Learn more: A pill for delivering biomedical micromotors
The Latest on: Micromotors
via Google News
The Latest on: Micromotors
- Global Micro Motors Market Report 2022: Market to Reach $34 Billion by 2026 - Factory Automation Opens Up Lucrative Opportunitieson August 3, 2022 at 5:38 am
The "Micro Motors - Global Market Trajectory & Analytics" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. Global Micro Motors Market to Reach $34 Billion by 2026 The global market for ...
- Global Micro Motors Markets 2022-2026: Rise in Industrial Automation & Increasing Demand from Medical Equipment and Automotive Industryon August 2, 2022 at 12:00 pm
The "Micro Motors - Global Market Trajectory & Analytics" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering.
- Mars Helicopter Team Receives Collier Trophyon August 2, 2022 at 5:01 am
The Mars Ingenuity helicopter team, which created the first aircraft to achieve powered, controlled flight on another planet, has received the Collier award from the National Aeronautic Association.
- Global Micro Motors Market Trajectory & Analytics, 2022-2026 - Limited Market Opportunities Amid Subdued Industrial Activity - ResearchAndMarkets.comon July 29, 2022 at 4:08 am
The “Micro Motors - Global Market Trajectory & Analytics” report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com’s offering. Global Micro Motors Market to Reach $34 Billion by 2026 The global market for ...
- Engineers Modify Six Brushed DC Motors for a Mission to Marson July 25, 2022 at 1:38 pm
Florbela Costa describes the design specs behind the six modified brushed DC motors that power NASA’s Ingenuity Mars Helicopter.
- Medicine and the metaverse: New tech allows doctors to travel inside of your bodyon July 24, 2022 at 1:10 am
It even looks like a tiny sub – with micromotors and tiny propellers along with a video camera, battery, and wireless link for feeding images back to doctors in real-time. Cutaway Drawing of ...
- Manicure Micromotors Market Research Reports 2022 New Growth Opportunities, Regional Analysis, In-Depth Qualitative Insights, Forecast 2022 to 2028on July 20, 2022 at 12:25 am
Manicure Micromotors Market research provides an overview of the business including types, applications, and the ...
- Global Micro Motor Market New Report Competitive Scenarios And Growth Forecast 2022 To 2031on July 17, 2022 at 11:12 pm
It is expected to expand at a compound annual growth rate of 5% from 2022 to 2030. Micro motors are lighter, larger, and more compact. Micro motors are basically designed for low power consumption ...
- Researchers Used Tiny Autonomous Vehicles to Deliver Medicine to the Stomach of Miceon July 6, 2022 at 5:00 pm
Researchers used autonomous vehicles known as micromotors to cure bacterial infections in the stomachs of mice. Micromotors are only the width of a single human hair, which allows them to ...
- World First: Nanobot Micromotors Deliver Medical Payload Inside Living Creatureon November 28, 2016 at 6:23 am
Scientists from the University of California are claiming that they have managed to deliver a medical payload directly into the gut tissue of a live organism using micro-motored nanobots. Notably ...
via Bing News