Using tiny micromotors to diagnose and treat disease in the human body could soon be a reality.
But keeping these devices intact as they travel through the body remains a hurdle. Now in a study appearing in ACS Nano, scientists report that they have found a way to encapsulate micromotors into pills. The pill’s coating protects the devices as they traverse the digestive system prior to releasing their drug cargo.
About the width of a human hair, micromotors are self-propelled microscopic robots designed to perform a host of biomedical tasks. In previous research, Joseph Wang, Liangfang Zhang and colleagues used micromotors coated with an antibiotic to treat ulcers in laboratory mice. They found that this approach produced better results than just taking the drugs by themselves. However, the researchers noted that body fluids, such as gastric acid and intestinal fluids, can compromise the effectiveness of micromotors and trigger early release of their payloads. In addition, when taken orally in fluid, some of the micromotors can get trapped in the esophagus. To overcome these issues, Wang and Zhang sought to develop a way to protect and carry these devices into the stomach without compromising their mobility or effectiveness.
The researchers created a pill composed of a pair of sugars — lactose and maltose — that encapsulated tens of thousands of micromotors made of a magnesium/titanium dioxide core loaded with a fluorescent dye cargo. These sugars were chosen because they are easy to mold into tablet, can disintegrate when needed and are nontoxic. When given to laboratory mice, these pills improved the release and retention of the micromotors in the stomach compared to those encapsulated in silica-based tablets or in a liquid solution. The researchers concluded that encapsulating micromotors in traditional pill form improves their ability to deliver medicines to specific targets without diminishing their mobility or performance.
Learn more: A pill for delivering biomedical micromotors
The Latest on: Micromotors
via Google News
The Latest on: Micromotors
- Global Carbon Graphite Brush Market 2020 Future Estimations with Top Key Players, Production Development and Opportunities to 2025on January 25, 2021 at 9:51 pm
Global Carbon Graphite Brush Market 2020 by Manufacturers, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 is the latest market report rolled out by MarketsandResearch.biz , presents an encyclopedic ...
- Enzyme-powered micromotors based on metal-organic porous materialson January 22, 2021 at 1:07 am
Researchers have successfully designed and fabricated bubble-propelled enzymatic micromotors built from a highly porous metal-organic framework (MOF). These new micromotors might lead to applications ...
- Oral Vaccines Market Sales Projection, Growth Estimation, Size Analysis, Key Profile Insights, Share Value and Dynamics By 2027on January 14, 2021 at 12:01 am
For instance, in February 2019, according to the journal of the American Chemical Society (ACS), Nano Letters, researchers have developed the oral vaccines coupled with micromotors. The micromotors ...
- Switzerland’s Indirect Involvement in Artsakh War; Swiss Media Cites Military Application of Domestic Technologieson January 12, 2021 at 7:45 am
On January 10, the French language daily Le Courrier in Switzerland published an article entitled “The Israeli-Swiss Weapon of Azerbaijan”.
- Video: Microfluidic method pumps out graphene micromotorson January 7, 2021 at 10:39 am
Chemistry matters. Join us to get the news you need. Yes! I want to get the latest chemistry news from C&EN in my inbox every week. ACS values your privacy. By submitting your information, you are ...
- Micro Motors Market 2020on December 22, 2020 at 2:22 am
Micromotors are defined as very small particles that can move on their own. Micromotors are measured in microns. Market Research Future (MRFR) has published a research report about the global ...
- Global Micro Motors and Industrial Motors Market Overview Report by 2020-2025on December 15, 2020 at 12:26 am
The global Micro Motors and Industrial Motors market size is expected to gain market growth in the forecast period of 2020 to 2025, with a CAGR of xx%% in the forecast period of 2020 to 2025 and ...
- Triad of torque, speed, and precision. Applications? Step into the ringon December 10, 2020 at 11:31 am
This includes putting into effect customer-specific packaged solutions as well as an extensive range of standard products, such as Brushless Motors, DC-Micromotors, Encoders and Motion Controllers.
- Global Electric Micro-Motors Market 2020 Industry Scenario, Strategies, Growth Factors and Forecast to 2025on December 8, 2020 at 4:00 pm
Dec 09, 2020 (CDN Newswire via Comtex) -- The recently launched report entitled Global Electric Micro-Motors Market 2020 by Manufacturers, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 serves an in-sight ...
- Micro and Special Motor Market Size Growing Rapidly with Modern Trends, Development Status, Investment Opportunities, Share & Forecast to 2025on December 2, 2020 at 5:48 am
The demand for Global Micro and Special Motor market is anticipated to be high for the next five years. By considering this demand we provide latest Global Micro and Special Motor Market Report which ...
via Bing News