Water covers most of the globe, yet many regions still suffer from a lack of clean drinking water. If scientists could efficiently and sustainably turn seawater into clean water, a looming global water crisis might be averted. Now, inspired by origami, the Japanese art of paper folding, researchers have devised a solar steam generator that approaches 100 percent efficiency for the production of clean water.
They report their results in ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces.
Solar steam generators produce clean water by converting energy from the sun into heat, which evaporates seawater, leaving salts and other impurities behind. Then, the steam is collected and condensed into clean water. Existing solar steam generators contain a flat photothermal material, which produces heat from absorbed light. Although these devices are fairly efficient, they still lose energy by heat dissipation from the material into the air. Peng Wang and colleagues wondered if they could improve energy efficiency by designing a three-dimensional photothermal material. They based their structure on the Miura fold of origami, which consists of interlocking parallelograms that form “mountains” and “valleys” within the 3D structure.
The researchers made their solar steam generator by depositing a light-absorbing nanocarbon composite onto a cellulose membrane that was patterned with the Miura fold. They found that their 3D device had a 50 percent higher evaporation rate than a flat 2D device. In addition, the efficiency of the 3D structure approached 100 percent, compared with 71 percent for the 2D material. The researchers say that, compared to a flat surface, origami “valleys” capture the sunlight better so that less is lost to reflection. In addition, heat can flow from the valleys toward the cooler “mountains,” evaporating water along the way instead of being lost to the air.
The Latest on: Solar steam generation
via Google News
The Latest on: Solar steam generation
- Major infrared breakthrough could lead to solar power at nighton May 17, 2022 at 11:30 am
The team, including members of the ARC Centre of Excellence in Exciton Science, used a power-generation ... steam engines depended on the temperature difference across the engine, and the field of ...
- Duke’s carbon plan includes ‘all of the above’ approach to slashing emissionson May 17, 2022 at 8:43 am
NC is requiring Duke Energy to cut emissions 70% from 2005 levels. It would reach that target in 2030 under one of four scenarios in the new plan.
- Concentrating Solar Power Market Size, Witness Highest Growth in near future by 2030on May 13, 2022 at 2:14 am
The Global Concentrating Solar Power Market size is estimated to be USD 37.40 billion in 2019 and is projected to reach USD 114.42 billion by 2030 with a ...
- 3 Snapshots of the World Industrial Boiler Marketon May 12, 2022 at 11:30 am
Despite the necessity of steam generation, meeting emission standards have become ... unveiled its plan to install 20,000-MW solar power plants at around $9.1 billion by 2030. According to the recent ...
- Flint Hills Resources to build 45 MW solar project to directly power its refineryon May 11, 2022 at 12:00 pm
Solar project will lower energy costs and improve energy efficiency for the Upper Midwest’s largest fuel producer.
- Flint Hills Resources Building Solar Installation to Help Power Minnesota Refineryon May 11, 2022 at 11:19 am
Flint Hills Resources today announced it is moving ahead with building what is believed to be the largest solar installation of its kind in the country. The installation will help power the company’s ...
- Renewable Energy To Grow To New Record In 2022: IEAon May 11, 2022 at 2:00 am
The world will set a new record for renewable power capacity this year led by solar energy in China and Europe, but growth could lose steam in 2023, the International Energy Agency said Wednesday.
- Renewable energy ready to set new record in 2022: IEAon May 11, 2022 at 1:53 am
The world will set a new record for renewable power capacity in 2022 led by solar energy in China and Europe, but growth could lose steam in 2023 ... Union's total electricity generation from ...
- Flint Hills Resources to Build Largest-of-Its-Kind Solar Installation to Help Power Its Minnesota Refinery Operationson May 10, 2022 at 1:00 pm
Solar project will lower energy costs and improve energy efficiency of the Upper Midwest's largest fuel producer Pine Bend solar rendering ROSEMOUNT, ...
via Bing News