Scientists from Mainz and Aschaffenburg developed a method to protect the ozone layer from the damaging effects of the chlorofluorocarbon Freon 11
Sustainable and environmentally-friendly method of binding Freon 11
In their paper in the journal Global Challenges, the scientists from Mainz and Aschaffenburg describe a method of effectively binding both airborne and liquid phase Freon 11 using modified cyclic sugar molecules, i.e., a substance called methyl-substituted ?-cyclodextrin. This would prevent the release of the environmentally harmful foaming agent into the atmosphere, where it additionally impairs the stratosphere’s ability to protect against UV radiation. The process of Freon 11 binding is reversible and the adsorbent medium can be fully regenerated under controlled conditions. The recovered material can also be reused. This makes the process a sustainable and environmentally-friendly method of binding this extremely ozone-depleting substance, a method that can be readily employed when old refrigerators are scrapped, for example.
In addition, the research teams at Mainz and Aschaffenburg have been able to transfer this concept to an optical sensor device, making it possible to detect low concentrations of Freon 11 quickly and reliably.
The Latest on: Ozone layer
via Google News
The Latest on: Ozone layer
- NOAA Declares 2020 the Second Hottest Year on Record, a Very Close Secondon January 16, 2021 at 2:01 am
This observation documents global warming but suggests that increases in greenhouse-gas emissions may not be the best explanation ...
- Is the ozone hole causing climate change?on January 13, 2021 at 4:00 pm
Yes and no. The ozone hole is basically a human-caused hole in the ozone layer above the South Pole during the Southern Hemisphere’s spring. The ozone layer, which lies high up in the atmosphere, ...
- Ozone hole over Antarctica peaks at 24 million square kms, the highest for the last decadeon January 12, 2021 at 3:59 pm
Since the ban on halocarbons, the ozone layer has slowly been recovering; the data clearly show a trend in decreasing area of the ozone hole. The latest WMO/UN Environment Program Scientific ...
- Ozone layer hole over the Arctic has closed and has been linked to Europe's warmest winteron January 10, 2021 at 4:00 pm
The closing has nothing to do with the reduction in pollution caused by having much of the world on COVID-19 lockdown. The largest hole ever observed in the ozone layer over the Arctic has closed ...
- Insert This On Your Bike Wheel to Filter the Air Pollution While You Cycleon January 10, 2021 at 10:16 am
Rolloe is an air filter fitted to the front wheel of you bicycle and removes CO2, NO2, and particulate matter from your city air.
- Air Pollution Laws May Have Saved Over 1.5 Billion Birds in American Skies, Finds New Cornell Studyon January 9, 2021 at 8:36 am
Countless lives have been saved over 40 years since pollution regulations were signed into U.S. law—but they've also saved millions of birds.
- 2020's hole in the ozone layer closed after reaching a record sizeon January 8, 2021 at 10:07 am
That's according to the World Meteorological Organization (WMO), which says the breach in Earth's natural ozone layer, which protects the planet from ultraviolet (UV) radiation, peaked at 24.8 ...
- Record-breaking 2020 ozone hole closeson January 8, 2021 at 12:50 am
The record-breaking 2020 Antarctic ozone hole finally closed at the end of December after an exceptional season due to naturally occurring meteorological conditions and the continued presence of ozone ...
- The World Needs to Work Together to Make Heat and Air Conditioning More Energy Efficienton January 7, 2021 at 2:34 am
The Biden administration has the convening power to start an international HVAC working group, and it can then place it under the leadership of an UN-based sectoral committee.
via Bing News