Study shows TEMPO is up to 100 times more powerful than vitamin E
Naturally-derived anti-oxidants have become the ‘it’ health ingredient to look for in food. But researchers from UBC Okanagan and the University of Bologna have discovered that TEMPO—a well-known artificial anti-oxidant—is up to 100 times more powerful than nature’s best and could help counteract everything from skin damage to Alzheimer’s Disease.
Free radicals are highly reactive molecules that are naturally present in the body and are created during routine natural processes like breathing, according to UBC Okanagan Chemistry Professor Gino DiLabio and study co-author.
“Free radicals are a natural part of human metabolism. But when our bodies have too many, like when we’re exposed to UV radiation from the sun, when we smoke, or even when we drink alcohol, it can be a problem,” says DiLabio. “These extremely reactive molecules can damage cells or DNA and can contribute to many different diseases, like Alzheimer’s, and some researchers think they may even be responsible for aging.”
While the body already has its own chemical defenses against free radicals through vitamin C and vitamin E, DiLabio and his colleagues wanted to know how a human-made anti-oxidant called TEMPO would perform.
To explore the idea, the researchers used a mimicked cell environment to test how effective TEMPO was in converting free radicals to non-harmful molecules compared to vitamin E.
“We were surprised to learn that TEMPO was up to 100 times faster at converting free radicals than vitamin E in fatty environments,” says DiLabio. “That means that it could be a particularly effective means of protecting skin tissues or even the walls of cells from radical damage.”
Dilabio says that the study may lead to the development of a pharmaceutical therapy to help prevent free radical damage.
“I could see this leading to the development of a topical cream to protect your skin after exposure to the sun or even a pill that could protect your neurons from getting damaged. The possibilities are very exciting.”
The Latest on: Artificial anti-oxidant
via Google News
The Latest on: Artificial anti-oxidant
- Global Plastic Antioxidants Market By Wonderful Opportunities, Trade Growth, Size, And Statistics Forecasts Up To 2025on January 19, 2021 at 9:20 pm
The demand within the global PLASTIC ANTIOXIDANTS market is slated to rise alongside advancements in the service industry The products and services pertaining to the global PLASTIC ANTIOXIDANTS market ...
- 13 Foods That Make Your Skin Worse, According to Dermatologistson January 18, 2021 at 5:21 am
We spoke to several dermatologists and asked them to name foods that can cause or exacerbate skin issues—and there are many.
- Ceracare Reviews: Latest Cera Care Supplement To Control Diabeteson January 16, 2021 at 3:53 am
Almost everybody knows that maintaining proper blood sugar is important for one's overall health. People with high amounts of ...
- 11 Zero-Proof Alternatives To Keep You Going Through Dry January—And Beyondon January 11, 2021 at 12:25 pm
If you are bored with iced tea and artificially flavored waters, these better-for-you drink alternatives offer variety and even some wellness benefits.
- Electra on ‘Shark Tank’: Who is WNBA champion Fran Harris, what is the cost and where can you buy new sports drink?on January 8, 2021 at 4:14 pm
With three delicious flavors, every bottle of Electra is packed with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and only 60 calories ...
- Artificial enzyme could slow Parkinson's by targeting protein clumpson January 5, 2021 at 4:00 pm
“This indicates the importance of antioxidants, because in Parkinson ... then following up with injections of the new artificial enzymes. They found that the nanozyme scavenged the reactive ...
- Artificial enzyme may be first step toward treatment for Parkinson's diseaseon January 5, 2021 at 9:34 am
The artificial enzymes ... were created by the research team for their strong antioxidant properties. The antioxidant capability is dependent largely on the alloy composition.
- WNBA Champion Bounces Into Shark Tank with New Sports Drink, ELECTRAⓇon December 30, 2020 at 5:57 am
ElectraⓇ contains no artificial colors or ingredients, and is packed with vitamins, amino acids, antioxidants and electrolytes for prehydration, performance, recovery and rehydration.
- True Vine Organics Announces CNMNHNY True Ceylon Cinnamon and Brazilian Honey 100% Natural All Organic Cold, Cough, and Flu Remedyon December 28, 2020 at 8:23 am
True Vine CNMNHNY™ offers a rich antioxidant content loaded with antimicrobial ... facility in the USA with no chemicals, added sugar, artificial colors, artificial flavors, and artificial ...
via Bing News