A new type of energy storage system could revolutionise energy storage and drop the charging time of electric cars from hours to seconds.
In a new paper published today in the journal Nature Chemistry, chemists from the University of Glasgow discuss how they developed a flow battery system using a nano-molecule that can store electric power or hydrogen gas giving a new type of hybrid energy storage system that can be used as a flow battery or for hydrogen storage.
Their ‘hybrid-electric-hydrogen’ flow battery, based upon the design of a nanoscale battery molecule can store energy, releasing the power on demand as electric power or hydrogen gas that can be used a fuel. When a concentrated liquid containing the nano-molecules is made, the amount of energy it can store increases by almost 10 times. The energy can be released as either electricity or hydrogen gas meaning that the system could be used flexibly in situations that might need either a fuel or electric power.
One potential benefit of this system is that electric cars could be charged in seconds, as the material is a pumpable liquid. This could mean that the battery of an electric car could be “recharged” in roughly the same length of time as petrol cars can be filled up. The old battery liquid would be removed at the same time and recharged ready to be used again.
The approach was designed and developed by Professor Leroy (Lee) Cronin, the University of Glasgow’s Regius Chair of Chemistry, and Dr Mark Symes, Senior Lecturer in Electrochemistry, also at the University of Glasgow with Dr Jia Jia Chen, who is a researcher in the team. They are convinced that this result will help pave the way for the development of new energy storage systems that could be used in electric cars, for the storage of renewable energy, and to develop electric-to-gas energy systems for when a fuel is required.
Professor Cronin said: “For future renewables to be effective high capacity and flexible energy storage systems are needed to smooth out the peaks and troughs in supply. Our approach will provide a new route to do this electrochemically and could even have application in electric cars where batteries can still take hours to recharge and have limited capacity. Moreover, the very high energy density of our material could increase the range of electric cars, and also increase the resilience of energy storage systems to keep the lights on at times of peak demand.”
The Latest on: Energy storage
via Google News
The Latest on: Energy storage
- Eos Energy Enterprises Begins 2021 Propelled by Strong Demand for Energy Storage building a $16MM Orders Backlogon January 13, 2021 at 6:23 am
(GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Eos Energy Enterprises, Inc. (NASDAQ: EOSE) (“Eos”), a leading provider of safe, scalable, efficient, and sustainable zinc-based energy storage systems, today announced strong ...
- New cathode material for high-performing sodium ion batteries could benefit large scale energy storageon January 13, 2021 at 6:14 am
ANSTO contributed to a large international collaboration on advanced sodium ion batteries led by French researchers, which provides a direction for the design of high-performing sodium ion electrodes.
- Mitsubishi Power Emerges as 2020 Market Share Leader in the Americas for Energy Storage of All Durationson January 13, 2021 at 4:55 am
Mitsubishi Power has claimed the number one market share position in the Americas in 2020 with orders for 151,000 megawatt hours (MWh) of energy storage capacity of all durations. The all-duration ...
- Stem, Inc. Awarded Project to Deliver Smart Energy Storage to Massachusetts Water Resource Authorityon January 13, 2021 at 3:53 am
(GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Stem, Inc. (“Stem” or “the Company”), a global leader in artificial intelligence (AI)-driven energy storage systems, today announced the Company has been awarded a project mandate ...
- CES 2021 ENPO AI Smart energy storage system innovates the use of electrical grid interactionson January 12, 2021 at 10:59 pm
PRNewswire/ -- Interxie (Intersection Energy Technology Ltd.) has developed ENPO, an energy storage system that easily optimizes the use of self-generated power. It is Easy-to-use / Long-lasting / ...
- STPK Stock: Why Renewable Energy SPAC Star Peak Energy Is Soaringon January 12, 2021 at 11:15 am
Blank-check firm Star Peak Energy Transition is set to merge with AI battery innovator Stem. STPK stock is surging after Citron Research fell in love.More From InvestorPlace Why Everyone Is Investing ...
- Enphase Energy, Sunnova Ink Deal to Supply Encharge Systemson January 12, 2021 at 7:20 am
Enphase Energy, Inc. ENPH recently entered into a new agreement with its long-time partner, Sunnova Energy International NOVA for supplying its Encharge storage systems. This deal will enable ...
- The Future of Stationary Energy Storage is Led by Policy and Renewables, Reports IDTechExon January 11, 2021 at 9:02 am
Electricity generation from renewable energies is growing on a daily basis and, to integrate their variable nature, energy storage systems ...
- California Energy Commission Awards $5 Million for Energy Storage Solutionson January 11, 2021 at 8:36 am
The California Energy Commission (CEC) has awarded a $5 million grant for the development and demonstration of long-duration, non-lithium ion based energy storage technologies.
via Bing News