A KAIST research team developed a crucial source technology that will advance the commercialization of micro LEDs.
Professor Keon Jae Lee from the Department of Materials Science and Engineering and his team have developed a low cost production technology for thin-film blue flexible vertical micro LEDs (f-VLEDs).
In CES 2018, micro LED TV was spotlighted as a strong candidate for replacing the active-matrix organic light-emitting diode (AMOLED) display. Micro LED is a sub-100 um light source for red, green and blue light, which has advantages of outstanding optical output, ultra-low power consumption, fast response speed, and excellent flexibility.
However, the current display industry has utilized the individual chip transfer of millions of LED pixels, causing high production cost. Therefore, the initial market of micro LED TV will be estimated to ~ a hundred thousand dollars for global premium market.
To widely commercialize micro LEDs for mobile and TV displays, the transfer method of thin film micro LEDs requires a one-time transfer of one million LEDs. In addition, highly efficient thin-film blue micro LED is crucial for a full-color display.
The team developed thin-film red f-VLED in previous projects, and now has realized thousands of thin-film blue vertical micro LEDs (thickness < 2 ?m) on plastics using a one-time transfer.
The blue GaN f-VLEDs achieved optical power density (~30 mW/mm2) three times higher than that of lateral micro LEDs, and a device lifetime of 100,000 hours by reducing heat generation. These blue f-VLEDs could be conformally attached to the curved skin and brains for wearable devices, and stably operated by wirelessly transferred electrical energy.
Professor Lee said, “For future micro LEDs, the innovative technology of thin-film transfer, efficient devices, and interconnection is necessary. We plan to demonstrate a full-color micro LED display in smart watch sizes by the end of this year. ”
The Latest on: Micro LEDs
via Google News
The Latest on: Micro LEDs
- CAS Scientists Examine Size Effect of Micro-LEDs on Silicon Substrateson May 27, 2022 at 5:20 am
Due to their excellent efficiency, micro-LEDs have been employed in a variety of applications, including micro-displays, visible light communication, optical biochips, wearable devices, and biosensors ...
- Size effect of AlGaInP red micro-LEDs on silicon substrateon May 26, 2022 at 7:46 am
Micro-LEDs have been used in many fields due to their superior performance, such as micro-displays, visible light communication, optical biochips, wearable devices, and biosensors. Obtaining high ...
- Micro LED Market Size 2022 with 61.3% CAGR : Recent Innovations & Technological Advancements in Report, Value Chain Analysis Till 2028on May 26, 2022 at 5:52 am
Global “Micro LED Market” 2022 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2028 The global Micro ...
- Mini and Micro LED Market by Size Estimation, Share Analysis with Recent Developments, Business prospects and Forecast 2022-2031on May 25, 2022 at 8:59 pm
The mini and micro LED market is expected to reach around $6 million by 2024, growing at a CAGR of around 147% during the forecast period. The global mini ...
- Insights on the Micro-LED Global Market to 2027 - Rising Trend for Smart Wearables is Driving Growth - ResearchAndMarkets.comon May 24, 2022 at 2:34 pm
DUBLIN, April 26, 2022--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The "Global Micro-LED Market Size, Share & Industry Trends Analysis Report By Application (Display and Lighting), By Display Type, By Lighting Type, By Panel ...
- Forget the iPhone 8: micro-LED screens could power Apple’s futureon May 23, 2022 at 5:00 pm
To that end, a new report from Digitimes relays that Apple recently ordered a batch of Micro LED screens for testing in future products. According to the report, Apple may begin trial production ...
- 3D Micro LED Market Trends and Opportunity 2022 Leading Players Analysis with Recent Developments, Regional Growth, Industry Size and Share by 2029on May 20, 2022 at 1:43 am
Global “3D Micro LED Market” research 2022 highlights competitive landscape analysis including sales revenue, demanding regions, production and consumption status. The 3D Micro LED market report ...
- United States Micro-LED Market Report 2022: Prospects, Trends Analysis, Market Size and Forecasts to 2027 - ResearchAndMarkets.comon May 16, 2022 at 3:54 am
DUBLIN, May 16, 2022--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The "United States Micro-LED Market: Prospects, Trends Analysis, Market Size and Forecasts up to 2027" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's ...
via Bing News