Chemists have modified the enzyme levansucrase using a new method. The enzyme can now produce sugar polymers that are exciting for applications in the food industry and medicine.
Enzymes are tools of nature that accelerate almost all biochemical reactions in living cells as biological catalysts. For this reason, enzymes have been used in the chemical industry for some time now – in detergents and cleaners, toothpastes and shampoos, but also in foods. Enzymes help in the production of paper, textiles, leather, medicines, biofuels and other products.
Enzymes from the tailoring industry
Biochemically, enzymes are proteins that are composed of natural amino acids. They form a three-dimensional structure. Just like a key fits into a lock, each specific molecule fits into an enzyme and the enzyme converts it into a new product.
Technically, it is possible to exchange individual amino acids in an enzyme and thereby change its structure so that it can now process other molecules. In this way, British scientists have created just recently a mutant enzyme that breaks down plastic.
Surface of the levansucrase changed
Chemists from Julius-Maximilians-Universität Würzburg (JMU) in Bavaria, Germany, have now gone a step further in the tailoring of enzymes: “We thought what fascinating possibilities would arise if we could change the surface of enzymes chemically and use the chemical space of molecules,” says Jürgen Seibel , Professor of Organic Chemistry at the JMU. “We have developed a reaction that does not occur in nature in this way. It gives us a lot of freedom in reshaping enzyme surfaces. “
As the JMU scientists report in the journal “Chemical Science”, they first redesigned the surface of the enzyme levansucrase. Now, the enzyme can convert the table sugar (sucrose) directly into a polymer of fructose building blocks.
“So far, such a synthesis has been possible with levansucrase, but it works much more efficiently with the modified enzyme,” explains Seibel. The conversion of the enzyme per second is now significantly higher; moreover, it mainly produces the desired product and no accidental by-products.
Interesting for medicine and food industry
The fructose polymer could be used as a bio-gel for tissue transplantation in medicine or in the food industry – for example as a probiotic supplement in yogurts or baby food. Because like other functional sugars, the polymer could also serve certain intestinal bacteria as food and indirectly exert a health-promoting influence on the intestinal flora of humans.
Learn more: New technology for enzyme design
The Latest on: Enzyme design
via Google News
The Latest on: Enzyme design
- Hydrophilic Coating Market Key Methodologies, Growth Rate and Future Opportunities, Forecast Till 2030 | Hydromer Inc and Abbott Laboratories Inc.on January 27, 2021 at 2:56 am
MarketResearch.Biz :Hydrophilic Coating Market Overview: The report provides quantitative and qualitative information on the global Hydrophilic Coating market for the period of 2021 to 2030. Given the ...
- Traffic Road Marking Coating Market Size Analysis, Industry Outlook, Current Trends and Forecast by 2026on January 27, 2021 at 2:10 am
Selbyville, Delaware. This report on Traffic Road Marking Coating market has keen to several extents of analysis ...
- Global Roof Waterproof Coating : Increase In Awareness About Water and Solvent Based Appearance To Drive The Market(2022-2031)on January 27, 2021 at 2:04 am
Jan 27, 2021 (WiredRelease via Comtex) -- The latest research report provides a complete assessment of the Global Roof Waterproof Coating market for the forecast year 2022-2031, which is beneficial ...
- ECUA 'Cradle of Naval Aviation' water tank undergoing $866K coating replacement projecton January 26, 2021 at 8:47 am
The Emerald Coast Utilities Authority's Cervantes Street water tank is currently undergoing a routine sandblast and paint job.
- Big Apple set for a ‘slushy coating’ of up to an inch of snowon January 26, 2021 at 7:20 am
The Big Apple is set for only a “slushy coating” of up to an inch of snow on Tuesday, forecasters said. The snow is set to begin as a few flurries — that will start coming down more heavily ...
- Global Scratch-resistant Glass and Coating Market for Consumer Electronics Markets, 2020-2024 - ResearchAndMarkets.comon January 26, 2021 at 4:38 am
The “Global Scratch-resistant Glass and Coating Market for Consumer Electronics Market 2020-2024” report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com’s offering. The scratch-resistant glass and coating ...
- The Global Acrylic Surface Coating Market is expected to grow by $ 14.60 bn during 2021-2025 progressing at a CAGR of 7% during the forecast periodon January 25, 2021 at 7:11 am
Reportlinker.com announces the release of the report "Global Acrylic Surface Coating Market 2021-2025" - Our report on acrylic surface coating market provides a holistic analysis, market size and ...
- Updated forecast: After coating of snow and sleet, period of freezing rain possible overnighton January 25, 2021 at 7:00 am
Precipitation has tapered after a coating of sleet and snow. A period of freezing rain could move through overnight as slick roads and sidewalks remain possible into the morning.
- Axalta Coating Systems Ltd hosts conference call for investorson January 24, 2021 at 12:27 pm
The company, Axalta Coating Systems Ltd, is set to host investors and clients on a conference call on 2/4/2021 8:38:26 AM. The call comes after ...
via Bing News