Chemists have modified the enzyme levansucrase using a new method. The enzyme can now produce sugar polymers that are exciting for applications in the food industry and medicine.
Enzymes are tools of nature that accelerate almost all biochemical reactions in living cells as biological catalysts. For this reason, enzymes have been used in the chemical industry for some time now – in detergents and cleaners, toothpastes and shampoos, but also in foods. Enzymes help in the production of paper, textiles, leather, medicines, biofuels and other products.
Enzymes from the tailoring industry
Biochemically, enzymes are proteins that are composed of natural amino acids. They form a three-dimensional structure. Just like a key fits into a lock, each specific molecule fits into an enzyme and the enzyme converts it into a new product.
Technically, it is possible to exchange individual amino acids in an enzyme and thereby change its structure so that it can now process other molecules. In this way, British scientists have created just recently a mutant enzyme that breaks down plastic.
Surface of the levansucrase changed
Chemists from Julius-Maximilians-Universität Würzburg (JMU) in Bavaria, Germany, have now gone a step further in the tailoring of enzymes: “We thought what fascinating possibilities would arise if we could change the surface of enzymes chemically and use the chemical space of molecules,” says Jürgen Seibel , Professor of Organic Chemistry at the JMU. “We have developed a reaction that does not occur in nature in this way. It gives us a lot of freedom in reshaping enzyme surfaces. “
As the JMU scientists report in the journal “Chemical Science”, they first redesigned the surface of the enzyme levansucrase. Now, the enzyme can convert the table sugar (sucrose) directly into a polymer of fructose building blocks.
“So far, such a synthesis has been possible with levansucrase, but it works much more efficiently with the modified enzyme,” explains Seibel. The conversion of the enzyme per second is now significantly higher; moreover, it mainly produces the desired product and no accidental by-products.
Interesting for medicine and food industry
The fructose polymer could be used as a bio-gel for tissue transplantation in medicine or in the food industry – for example as a probiotic supplement in yogurts or baby food. Because like other functional sugars, the polymer could also serve certain intestinal bacteria as food and indirectly exert a health-promoting influence on the intestinal flora of humans.
Learn more: New technology for enzyme design
The Latest on: Enzyme design
via Google News
The Latest on: Enzyme design
- Global Traffic Road Marking Coating Market Report 2020 by Key Players, Types, Applications, Countries, Market Size, Forecast to 2026on March 7, 2021 at 3:21 am
The Traffic Road Marking Coating market is expected to grow from USD X.X million in 2020 to USD X.X million by 2026, at a CAGR of X.X% during the forecast period. The global Traffic Road Marking ...
- UNR researchers say titanium coating has an impact on the coronaviruson March 5, 2021 at 7:00 pm
Inside a beaker in a lab at the Laxalt Mineral Engineering Building, on the University of Nevada Reno campus, titanium which researchers turn into what they call nanotubes. The finished product will ...
- Global Wood Coating Resins Market to Reach $5.1 Billion by 2027on March 5, 2021 at 3:57 am
StrategyR - A Trademark of Global Industry Analysts, Inc. - Project Edition: 9. - Influencer Pool: 964. - MarketGlass™ Platform - Our influencer driven interactive research platform draws from unique ...
- Middle Eastern and North African Paint and Coating Market Report: Trends, Forecast and Competitive Analysison March 4, 2021 at 6:40 am
Trends, opportunities, and forecast in Middle Eastern and North African paint and coating market to 2025 by application (architectural, automotive, wood, industrial, transportation, packaging, and ...
- Asia Pacific $675+ Million Aerospace Coating Market Forecast to 2027 - Increasing Demand from North America - ResearchAndMarkets.comon March 4, 2021 at 3:06 am
The "Asia Pacific Aerospace Coating Market Forecast to 2027 - COVID-19 Impact and Asia Pacific Analysis - By Resin Type; Technology; End-User, and Country" report ...
- Global Green Coating Market Analysis of Major Segments and Future Opportunity Assessment 2022-2031on March 4, 2021 at 1:52 am
The latest research report provides a complete assessment of the Global Green Coating market for the forecast year 2022-2031, which is beneficial for companies regardless of their size and revenue.
- Global Coating Pretreatment Market Share 2021, Size, Market Movements by Trend Analysis, Growth Status, Revenue Expectation to 2026 Research Report.on March 3, 2021 at 9:55 pm
Global"Coating Pretreatment Market"2021 report provides an in-depth market evaluation by highlighting information ...
- Slot die coating for 20.83% efficient perovskite thin-film solar cellon March 3, 2021 at 5:23 pm
Scientists in Germany demonstrated a slot die coating process for large-scale production of perovskite thin-film solar cells that achieved a maximum efficiency of 20.83%. Using an additive, and ...
- Stealth Coating Market is Expected to Reach $375.0 Million by 2027on February 26, 2021 at 8:50 am
The global stealth coating market is expected to head toward growth expansion in the coming years, owing to surge in production and demand of stealth aircrafts, naval ships, and unmanned aerial ...
via Bing News