Chemists have modified the enzyme levansucrase using a new method. The enzyme can now produce sugar polymers that are exciting for applications in the food industry and medicine.
Enzymes are tools of nature that accelerate almost all biochemical reactions in living cells as biological catalysts. For this reason, enzymes have been used in the chemical industry for some time now – in detergents and cleaners, toothpastes and shampoos, but also in foods. Enzymes help in the production of paper, textiles, leather, medicines, biofuels and other products.
Enzymes from the tailoring industry
Biochemically, enzymes are proteins that are composed of natural amino acids. They form a three-dimensional structure. Just like a key fits into a lock, each specific molecule fits into an enzyme and the enzyme converts it into a new product.
Technically, it is possible to exchange individual amino acids in an enzyme and thereby change its structure so that it can now process other molecules. In this way, British scientists have created just recently a mutant enzyme that breaks down plastic.
Surface of the levansucrase changed
Chemists from Julius-Maximilians-Universität Würzburg (JMU) in Bavaria, Germany, have now gone a step further in the tailoring of enzymes: “We thought what fascinating possibilities would arise if we could change the surface of enzymes chemically and use the chemical space of molecules,” says Jürgen Seibel , Professor of Organic Chemistry at the JMU. “We have developed a reaction that does not occur in nature in this way. It gives us a lot of freedom in reshaping enzyme surfaces. “
As the JMU scientists report in the journal “Chemical Science”, they first redesigned the surface of the enzyme levansucrase. Now, the enzyme can convert the table sugar (sucrose) directly into a polymer of fructose building blocks.
“So far, such a synthesis has been possible with levansucrase, but it works much more efficiently with the modified enzyme,” explains Seibel. The conversion of the enzyme per second is now significantly higher; moreover, it mainly produces the desired product and no accidental by-products.
Interesting for medicine and food industry
The fructose polymer could be used as a bio-gel for tissue transplantation in medicine or in the food industry – for example as a probiotic supplement in yogurts or baby food. Because like other functional sugars, the polymer could also serve certain intestinal bacteria as food and indirectly exert a health-promoting influence on the intestinal flora of humans.
Learn more: New technology for enzyme design
The Latest on: Enzyme design
via Google News
The Latest on: Enzyme design
- GALLERY: Saturday snow showers coating areas in SW, Central Virginiaon January 16, 2021 at 12:51 pm
Some of us have started off our Saturday morning with some snow showers and snow squalls, and as anticipated, some of these have made their way east of the Parkway. Saturday Morning Radar. Reports hav ...
- Optical Coating Market Is Estimated To Grow Positive Long-Term Growth Outlook 2020-2030 | I. du Pont de Nemours and Company, PPG Industries Incon January 16, 2021 at 1:42 am
A consciously conceived and designed business intelligence report titled Global Optical Coating market 2020 by Manufacturers, Type, and Application, Forecast to 2030 by MarketResearch.biz discloses a ...
- Light coating of snow expected Saturdayon January 15, 2021 at 9:01 pm
Austin Bowling says this won’t be a high impact storm, but many will see a dusting of white on the ground Saturday.
- Wind Power Coating Market to Deliver Prominent Growth & Striking Opportunities, Analysis, Demand, Growth by Top Key Players, Forecast 2025on January 15, 2021 at 3:29 am
Jan (The Expresswire) -- Global "Wind Power Coating Market"(2021-2026) status and position of worldwide andprovides pin-point analysis for ...
- N2 Biomedical Announces The First Surgical Implant Of A Spinal Device Coated With The Company's Thin, Ion-Assisted Titanium Coating Technologyon January 14, 2021 at 5:00 am
N2 Biomedical, a leading provider of coating and surface treatment solutions to the medical device industry, today announced that the ...
- ZEN Graphene Solutions Provides Update on Graphene-Based Coating and Filtration Flow Rateson January 14, 2021 at 1:43 am
January 13, 2021) - ZEN Graphene Solutions Ltd. (TSXV: ZEN) (OTC Pink: ZENYF) ("ZEN" or the "Company") is pleased to announce the following related to its proprietary, graphene-based coating that is ...
- Scapa Healthcare Expands Medical-Grade Adhesive Coating Capabilities Globallyon January 13, 2021 at 10:50 pm
Scapa Healthcare, the trusted strategic partner of choice for the world’s leading companies in advanced wound care, consumer wellness and medical device & fixation, today announced expanded ...
- Mail-In repair now required for MacBooks with anti-reflective coating problemson January 13, 2021 at 1:47 pm
Apple employees have received an internal memo that requires them to direct customers to mail in their MacBooks that are suffering from anti-reflective ...
- Apple still repairing eligible MacBooks for anti-reflective coating issueson January 12, 2021 at 5:49 pm
Apple announced a new repair program for the 12-inch MacBook and Retina MacBook Pro models that in some cases had issues with the anti-reflective coating of the screen. The program has already been ...
via Bing News