Argonne National Laboratory researchers have invented a technology for recovering oil and other petroleum products from bodies of water that surpasses similar technologies that are currently on the market in several key aspects.
Water contamination from oil and other petroleum products carries with it huge environmental, economic and health impacts. Argonne’s invention, known as Oleo Sponge, offers promise for dramatically improving our ability to combat this problem – whether it be a catastrophic oil spill that devastates the Gulf Coast of the United States or chronic issues with contamination in harbors and ports around the world.
Oleo Sponge offers multiple critical advantages over current industry-standard technologies:
- The technology is the first and only option to effectively and efficiently adsorb oil and other petroleum products below the water surface. Current industry-standard technologies only address the surface.
- Oleo Sponge is reusable (you simply wring the reclaimed oil into a holding tank). This dramatically reduces waste resulting from the clean-up process and enables a small amount of adsorbent to mitigate enormous spills. Current sorbent technologies soak up oil in a single use, and the oil-saturated materials must then be disposed of.
- Oleo Sponge is environmentally friendly – doing no harm to sea life, animals or the larger environment – a key advantage when compared with chemical dispersants or burning techniques that are used today.
- Oleo Sponge demonstrates unparalleled sorption performance.
- The oil and other petroleum products that are recovered by Oleo Sponge can be salvaged for future use.
Learn more: Oleo Sponge
The Latest on: Oil spill cleanup
via Google News
The Latest on: Oil spill cleanup
- Green Boom's USDA Certified Biobased Absorbents Clean up Oil Spills and Eliminate Landfill Plasticon January 20, 2021 at 9:47 pm
Green Boom is honored to be part of the solution as the entire planet is putting an increased focus on counteracting the effects of climate change. — Green Boom Co-Founder Sudhir SharmaATLANTA, GA, ...
- Bellwether Trial Set For Fla. Deepwater Horizon Caseson January 20, 2021 at 7:38 pm
A Pensacola, Florida, man who claims he suffers from eye ailments after being exposed to oil and chemicals while helping clean up northwest Florida beaches following the BP Deepwater Horizon oil spill ...
- North Dakota lawmakers reject bill targeting oil execs who don't clean up spillson January 20, 2021 at 6:32 pm
The bill, which would have allowed the state to penalize high-ranking corporate officers for failures to responsibly address oil spills, was brought forward by top oil industry regulators but drew ...
- Marin witnesses recall massive oil spill of 50 years agoon January 18, 2021 at 7:14 pm
Marin County and San Francisco residents woke up to one of the worst environmental disasters in Bay Area history.
- Downed utility pole spills 50 gallons of oil in South Boston, hazmat techs on siteon January 18, 2021 at 6:47 pm
Hazmat technicians are clearing a downed utility pole that blocked a South Boston street, destroyed a metal fence, and spilled around 50 gallons of mineral oil, the Boston Fire Department tweeted ...
- More Oil on Delaware Beaches Months After Cleanup Finishedon January 18, 2021 at 3:40 pm
It's been almost three months since oil began washing up on the Delaware beaches, and DNREC's cleanup crews have come and gone. But black patties of dried oil are still being spotted on the sands of D ...
- Has Prince Charles’ Nature Pledge Become A Platform For BP To Greenwash Oil Spills?on January 17, 2021 at 12:03 pm
Prince Charles announced a new business pledge for nature last week. However, the inclusion of BP has been slammed for allowing the oil giant to continue greenwashing environmental pledges, as they ...
- Removal of spilled oil from Japanese vessel along Mauritius coastline mostly completedon January 15, 2021 at 4:45 pm
Work to remove oil that leaked from a stranded Japanese freighter along the coastline of Mauritius has been mostly completed about si ...
- No environmental risk from oil spill at McLean Mill, says consultanton January 14, 2021 at 7:35 am
An environmental consultant says that an oil spill at McLean Mill National Historic Site has been cleaned up, and the spill no longer presents a significant environmental risk. TerraWest Environmental ...
- BP Admits It Supplied Fuel To Mauritius Oil Spill Ship MV Wakashioon January 12, 2021 at 3:59 pm
By keeping this information secret, it is hampering the health treatment of those impacted as well as the clean up efforts. Last week, a large new harmful algae bloom was spotted along the coast where ...
via Bing News