Wastewater cleaning technology created at Kaunas University of Technology (KTU), Lithuania efficiently cleans water from oil products leaving it virtually pollution-free (the concentration of oil discharge in treated water is about 0.2 mg/L). Given the efficiency, the technology is much cheaper than the alternatives currently known in the market.
Although the regulations slightly vary from country to country, mainly in Europe and America oil discharge in water must meet 5mg/L for discharges to surface water drains and the water environment. Although marine life can survive this degree of pollution, the oil products pass into organisms affecting their health and transferring toxic substances further into ecosystem.
“After treatment with our technology the wastewater from oil industries released into the sea not only meets legal requirements, but is virtually clean”, says Associate Professor Viktoras Ra?ys, researcher at KTU Faculty of Chemical Technology.
Biological wastewater treatment technology developed at KTU employs microorganisms, which can adapt to certain environment and synthesise ferments to “digest” oil products turning them into CO2 and H2O. The technology has been successfully implemented in Lithuanian oil transfer company Klaip?dos Nafta. At the moment, it is being modified to be used in other areas of activity potentially connected to organic contamination, such as food, chemical, agricultural production industries.
According to KTU researcher, the essential challenge is to ensure the stability of microorganisms used for water treatment technology: it is very difficult to cultivate them and very easy to lose.
“Our secret is that we have found out a way of keeping those microorganisms in the system, so they don’t leave. Thanks to this, our technology is very stable and very reliable, basically indestructible”, says Viktoras Ra?ys.
The currently working KTU-invented technology cleans 160 m3 per hour. It is ready to use in sensitive environmental regions, for the treatment of oil production and refinery wastewater, ballast water, the run-off from car washes and car parks and any petroleum polluted wastewaters containing both legally regulated compounds and the most toxic or persistent compounds.
The Latest on: Wastewater cleaning technology
via Google News
The Latest on: Wastewater cleaning technology
- Global Industrial Wastewater Treatment Market Report 2022: Surge in Waterborne Diseases Fueling Sectoron September 23, 2022 at 2:43 am
The "Industrial Wastewater Treatment Market by Offering, Application - Global Forecast to 2029" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering.The global industrial wastewater treatment ...
- How instrumentation is transforming water/wastewater operationson September 21, 2022 at 6:36 am
A Control Amplified podcast with Endress+Hauser’s Nick Hanson, national industry manager for water and wastewater ...
- Forward Water Technologies Announces Participation in a Study of Forward Osmosison September 20, 2022 at 4:30 am
TORONTO, ON / ACCESSWIRE / / Forward Water Technologies Corp. ("Forward Water" or the "Company") (TSXV:FWTC) announces their participation, in conjunction with Membracon UK, to ...
- Wastewater a key barometer of COVID-19, scientists sayon September 18, 2022 at 3:53 pm
"One thing that's been consistent is that we've seen surges in wastewater before we have seen surges in caseloads," said Christopher Gobler, director of the New York State Center for Clean Water Techn ...
- ZwitterCo’s Breakthrough Technology Transforms Performance and Economics for Industrial Wastewater Reuseon September 15, 2022 at 4:02 am
DCVC leads the largest Series A funding round for a water technology ... cost of running wastewater plants. ZwitterCo membranes, by contrast, perform as new after every cleaning cycle.
- This startup's chemically engineered water filtration system helps large farms and industrial processors recycle their wastewateron September 15, 2022 at 4:00 am
ZwitterCo's chemically engineered water filtration technology allows farms and factories to recycle wastewater, thereby conserving the use of fresh water.
- ZwitterCo’s Breakthrough Technology Transforms Performance and Economics for Industrial Wastewater Reuseon September 15, 2022 at 4:00 am
ZwitterCo, Inc., the advanced membrane technology company, today announced the largest Series A funding round in history for a water technology company. The $33 million financing, led by DCVC, will ...
- Environmental scientists develop a method to turn hazardous acidic industrial wastewater into valuable resourceson September 13, 2022 at 12:29 pm
Environmental scientists have developed a circular process for eliminating the risk posed by phosphoric acid plant wastewater. The process turns the environmentally toxic wastewater into clean water ...
- Hazardous Acidic Industrial Wastewater Turned Into Valuable Resourceson September 13, 2022 at 2:53 am
The process turns the environmentally toxic wastewater into clean water while recovering valuable acids. Phosphoric acid is the main ingredient in industrial fertilizers, a massive industry worldwide.
via Bing News