The self-modifying coating, which is a thousand times thinner than a human hair, works by automatically letting in more heat when it’s cold and blocking the sun’s rays when it’s hot.
Smart windows have the ability to naturally regulate temperatures inside a building, leading to major environmental benefits and significant financial savings. The breakthrough could help meet future energy needs and create temperature-responsive buildings.
Our technology will potentially cut the rising costs of air-conditioning and heating, as well as dramatically reduce the carbon footprint of buildings of all sizes.
Smart glass windows are about 70 per cent more energy efficient during summer and 45 per cent more efficient in the winter compared to standard dual-pane glass.
“Our coating doesn’t require energy and responds directly to changes in temperature.”
“This switch is similar to a dimmer and can be used to control the level of transparency on the window and therefore the intensity of lighting in a room,” Taha said. “This means users have total freedom to operate the smart windows on-demand.”
“The materials and technology are readily scalable to large area surfaces, with the underlying technology filed as a patent in Australia and the US,” she said.
Learn more: Clever coating opens door to smart windows
The Latest on: Smart windows
via Google News
The Latest on: Smart windows
- This smart new device will make you love your kids' screen timeon August 3, 2022 at 10:43 am
This innovative device will change the way your kids video chat and interact with family and friends no matter where they are.
- These color-changing, energy-saving windows are inspired by an unlikely sea creatureon August 2, 2022 at 10:00 pm
A team of scientists has developed a groundbreaking material that mimics krill, using oil and colored water to change its opacity in a matter of minutes, which could change how buildings heat and cool ...
- A novel window into ‘smart’ glasson August 2, 2022 at 3:00 am
From fixing bones to making antibacterial surfaces, Michael Allen investigates glass that has additional functionality and performance ...
- Arrow Smart Terms aims to protect partner liquidityon August 1, 2022 at 11:30 pm
Changing demands on partners and growing fears of inflation have led the distributor to come up with its own solution.
- Smart Home: Things we should not automate at homeon August 1, 2022 at 12:26 am
Think smart before using home automation as a security system or automating things like fireplaces and windows.
- From smart-home essentials to self-care favorites, Amazon's weekend sale is killer!on July 29, 2022 at 1:35 pm
An incredible sale, that's what! It seems Amazon agrees, because they just dropped an awesome weekend bonanza including everything that makes summer days even sweeter, from smart-home must-haves like ...
- This Week In Security: Symbiote, Smart Locks, And CosmicStrandon July 29, 2022 at 11:16 am
Symbiote is a particularly nasty Linux rootkit, and we have the interesting case of two separate analysis releasing this week. Up first is [CyberMasterV] taking apart a very early sample of the ...
- Smart Home Is Improving Americans' Life Qualityon July 27, 2022 at 7:02 am
With the improvement of science and technology and people''s living standards, more and more people began to pursue a high-quality living environment, and the emergence of smart homes naturally ...
- This Smart Necklace Soaks Up Your Sweat to Track Healthon July 25, 2022 at 11:42 am
Viktor Gladkov via GettyOn hot days, when life seems to mimic a line in the chorus of Lil Jon & the East Side Boyz’ banger “Get Low,” our sweat could actually give us important information about how ...
- 4 simple reasons I’ll never give up Windows for goodon July 23, 2022 at 10:00 am
From windows management to gaming to the Edge browser, Windows 11 is a powerhouse and nothing Mac offers can keep me from going back.
via Bing News