Researchers at KTH Royal Institute of Technology have successfully tested a new material that can be used for cheap and large-scale production of hydrogen – a promising alternative to fossil fuel.
Precious metals are the standard catalyst material used for extracting hydrogen from water. The problem is these materials – such as platinum, ruthenium and iridium – are too costly. A team from KTH Royal Institute of Technology recently announced a breakthrough that could change the economics of a hydrogen economy.
Led by Licheng Sun, professor of molecular electronics at KTH, the researchers concluded that precious metals can be replaced by a much cheaper combination of nickel, iron and copper (NiFeCu).
“The new alloy can be used to split water into hydrogen,” says researcher Peili Zhang. “This catalyst becomes more efficient than the technologies available today, and significantly cheaper.
“This technology could enable a large-scale hydrogen production economy,” he says. Hydrogen can be used for example to reduce carbon dioxide from steel production or to produce diesel and aircraft fuel.
It’s not the first time a cheaper material has been proposed for water splitting, but the researchers argue that their solution is more effective than others. They published their results recently in the scientific journal Nature Communication.
“The high catalytic performance of core-shell NiFeCu for water oxidation is attributed to the synergistic effect of Ni, Fe and Cu,” Zhang says.
Zhang says that copper plays an interesting role in the preparation of the electrode. In an aqueous solution, surface copper dissolves and leave a very porous structure to enhance the electrochemically active surface area. “The porous oxide shell with its high electrochemically active surface area is responsible for the catalytic activity, while the metallic cores work as facile electron transport highways,” Zhang says.
The Latest on: Hydrogen economy
via Google News
The Latest on: Hydrogen economy
- EU green hydrogen group highlights policy needson March 3, 2021 at 3:49 am
The coalition – launched by WindEurope, SolarPower Europe and Breakthrough Energy in November last year – made the call in its Policy Charter released today. The charter lays out the crucial policy ...
- S. Korea's conglomerates to invest 43 trillion won in hydrogen economy by 2030on March 2, 2021 at 3:55 pm
South Koreas five major conglomerates SK, Hyundai Motor, POSCO, Hanwha, and Hyosung will invest 43 trillion won in building hydrogen infrastructures, such as production and storage, by 2030. SK Group ...
- NewHydrogen expands green hydrogen technology research program at UCLAon March 2, 2021 at 1:23 pm
SANTA CLARITA, Calif., March 02, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- NewHydrogen, Inc., a BioSolar company (OTC:BSRC), today announced that it has executed an agreement to expand the existing sponsored research ...
- Hydrogen Is ‘Jump Ball’ in Global Clean-Energy Race, Kerry Sayson March 2, 2021 at 9:12 am
The U.S. oil and gas industry should embrace “huge opportunities” in producing and transporting hydrogen, with the potential for that cutting-edge energy source to fuel long-haul trucks and supply ...
- HyPoint Unveils Breakthrough Hydrogen Fuel Cell Prototype for Aviation and Urban Air Mobilityon March 2, 2021 at 7:41 am
HyPoint, the company developing zero-carbon emission hydrogen fuel cell systems for aviation and urban air mobility, today unveil ...
- Researchers develop a versatile hydrogen sensoron March 2, 2021 at 7:04 am
Hydrogen is playing an increasingly important role in the transition to a completely sustainable economy. It is already being used on a large scale in industry, but it is also being used more often ...
- Plug Power and Universal Hydrogen Expand Partnership to Include Investment and Global Green Hydrogen Supply for Aviationon March 2, 2021 at 4:00 am
Plug Power Inc., a leading provider of turnkey hydrogen solutions building the global green hydrogen economy, today announced an expansion of the relationship with Universal Hydrogen Co., a pioneer in ...
- Asian hydrogen economy gets a boost in Plug Power and SK Group dealon March 2, 2021 at 1:03 am
The $1.6 million agreement between the two companies will speed up H2 as an alternative energy source. Plug Power and SK Group recently signed a $1.6 billion d ...
- JPMorgan upgrades Plug Power, says it will be a leader in the future hydrogen economyon March 1, 2021 at 12:10 pm
JPMorgan said investors should take advantage of Plug Power's recent dip, with the company poised to benefit as a first-mover in the growing hydrogen economy.
- JPMorgan Turns Bullish On Plug Power, Predicts 'Meaningful Share Of Future Hydrogen Economy'on March 1, 2021 at 9:22 am
Plug Power Inc (NASDAQ: PLUG) shares were rallying Monday after the struggling alternative energy stock got a major Wall Street upgrade. The Plug Power Analyst: ...
via Bing News