Researchers at KTH Royal Institute of Technology have successfully tested a new material that can be used for cheap and large-scale production of hydrogen – a promising alternative to fossil fuel.
Precious metals are the standard catalyst material used for extracting hydrogen from water. The problem is these materials – such as platinum, ruthenium and iridium – are too costly. A team from KTH Royal Institute of Technology recently announced a breakthrough that could change the economics of a hydrogen economy.
Led by Licheng Sun, professor of molecular electronics at KTH, the researchers concluded that precious metals can be replaced by a much cheaper combination of nickel, iron and copper (NiFeCu).
“The new alloy can be used to split water into hydrogen,” says researcher Peili Zhang. “This catalyst becomes more efficient than the technologies available today, and significantly cheaper.
“This technology could enable a large-scale hydrogen production economy,” he says. Hydrogen can be used for example to reduce carbon dioxide from steel production or to produce diesel and aircraft fuel.
It’s not the first time a cheaper material has been proposed for water splitting, but the researchers argue that their solution is more effective than others. They published their results recently in the scientific journal Nature Communication.
“The high catalytic performance of core-shell NiFeCu for water oxidation is attributed to the synergistic effect of Ni, Fe and Cu,” Zhang says.
Zhang says that copper plays an interesting role in the preparation of the electrode. In an aqueous solution, surface copper dissolves and leave a very porous structure to enhance the electrochemically active surface area. “The porous oxide shell with its high electrochemically active surface area is responsible for the catalytic activity, while the metallic cores work as facile electron transport highways,” Zhang says.
The Latest on: Hydrogen economy
via Google News
The Latest on: Hydrogen economy
- The largest zero-emission vehicle runs on a massive 2-MW hydrogen powerplanton May 12, 2022 at 8:41 am
The world's largest zero-emission haul truck was recently revealed to the world by. The enormous hydrogen fuel cell and lithium-ion battery powerplant that powers t ...
- Truck, car powered by hydrogen make a stop in Connecticuton May 12, 2022 at 7:18 am
Ned Lamont, who is pushing to have Connecticut be the location of a hydrogen hub as part of President Biden’s infrastructure proposals. The hub, which already e ...
- Hydrogen Fueling Station Market Is Booming Worldwide Demand, Research Scope, Growth Analysis, and Business Guidelines by 2028 | Oil and Gas Industryon May 12, 2022 at 5:50 am
Hydrogen Fueling Station Market Is Projected To Grow From Usd 0.41 Billion In 2021 To Usd 2.67 Billion In 2028 At A Cagr Of 30.8% During The 2021-2028 ...
- India has ambitious green hydrogen plans, but barriers remainon May 12, 2022 at 3:00 am
The Modi government has been enthusiastically pursuing H2 but is still facing hurdles. India has boldly and loudly announced its ambitious decarbonization plan ...
- Chemours Announces Participation in Versogen’s Development of Clean Hydrogen Technologyon May 11, 2022 at 3:30 pm
Continues Chemours’ focus on advancing sustainable innovation in hydrogen production via water electrolysis. The Chemours Company (“Chemours”) (NYSE: CC), a global chemistry ...
- Minerals Council: SA could have $150bn hydrogen economy by 2050on May 11, 2022 at 5:57 am
Mining producers at the Mining Indaba in Cape Town have been discussing how they can leverage clean energy solutions with environmental protections a key issue due to climate change pressures.
- TFP Hydrogen: Spearheading innovation within the hydrogen economyon May 11, 2022 at 4:00 am
With many innovative hydrogen companies appearing on the main stage of the hydrogen economy, technological advancement is at the forefront of accelerating adoption. One company that is spearheading ...
- Global Hydrogen Economy Market Report 2022: Analysis of 4 Technologies, 5 Revenue Sources and 60 National Marketson May 9, 2022 at 3:00 am
Dublin, May 09, 2022 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The "Hydrogen Economy Technologies & Markets 2022-2030 - With COVID-19 & COP26 Impacts" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The report ...
- Hydrogen Power Will Give Rise to an $11 Trillion Revolution in 2022on May 7, 2022 at 7:26 am
For first time ever, all the growth drivers for hydrogen power have arrived at the same time. And an enormous market is set to explode.
- Global Hydrogen Economy Technologies & Markets Report 2022-2030: Focus on COVID-19 & COP26 Impacts - ResearchAndMarkets.comon May 6, 2022 at 1:32 am
The "Hydrogen Economy Technologies & Markets - 2022-2030 - With COVID & COP26 Impacts" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The report contains a thorough analysis of 4 ...
via Bing News