Despite the numerous advances in solar cells, one thing remains constant: cloudy, rainy conditions put a damper on the amount of electricity created. Now researchers reporting in the journal ACS Nano have developed hybrid solar cells that can generate power from raindrops.
In areas where it frequently rains, solar cells might not seem like the best choice for energy production. The sky becomes cloudy, preventing the sun’s rays from reaching the cell. Researchers have been developing devices that can generate energy in rainy conditions. Previous studies add a pseudocapacitor or triboelectric nanogenerator (TENG) to an existing solar cell, creating a device that can make energy from the motion of raindrops. But these devices are usually complicated to manufacture and are bulky. So Zhen Wen, Xuhui Sun, Baoquan Sun and colleagues wanted to develop a better hybrid energy harvesting system.
The researchers imprinted two polymers, PDMS and PEDOT:PSS, with grooves by placing them onto commercially available DVDs. PDMS is polydimethylsiloxane and PEDOT:PSS is poly(3,4-ethylenedioxythiophene):poly(styrenesulfonate). Adding texture to the PDMS increased the TENG performance of this material when water drops touched it and then fell off it. The textured PEDOT:PSS layer acted as a mutual electrode for both the TENG and the solar cell. It was placed between the two devices and conducted energy from the TENG to the cell. Because the polymers are transparent, the solar cell could still generate energy from sunlight, as well as from falling raindrops. The team notes this simple design demonstrates a new concept in energy harvesting during various weather conditions.
The Latest on: Hybrid energy harvesting system
via Google News
The Latest on: Hybrid energy harvesting system
- Infiniti's Formula 1-inspired Q60 Project Black S axedon March 7, 2021 at 12:01 pm
Infiniti has pulled the plug on its proposed Q60 Project Black S hybrid rival to the Mercedes-AMG C63 S and BMW M4.
- North America Newson March 4, 2021 at 3:59 pm
to use in combination with combustion engines or as the sole energy carrier in fully electric-powered systems.We clearly see a transition from ‘consideration’ to ‘execution’ of hybrid and ...
- Supercapacitors Market 2020 | Qualitative Insights to 2027on March 3, 2021 at 4:53 am
The supercapacitors market research report offers market estimates for the period 2016 to 2027, wherein 2016 is a historic period, 2020 is the base year, and 2020 to 2027 is the forecast period.
- Duo aims to advance USV operations for offshore windon February 24, 2021 at 1:30 pm
Key elements of the project include a self-transiting USV, acoustic positioning of and data harvesting from seabed instruments ... 2 Ultra-Short BaseLine acoustic positioning system and its SPRINT-Nav ...
- New TI Motor Driver IC Gives Efficiency Boost to Hybrid Vehicleson February 23, 2021 at 9:47 pm
"Full" hybrid vehicles add on another ... active overvoltage protection for the energy-harvesting circuitry; a tunable regulated output; or unregulated system output conditioned for powering ...
- Energy-Harvesting Shock Absorbers Coming to a Car Near Youon February 21, 2021 at 4:00 pm
Now that solar and wind harvesting technologies are a thriving market ... and Vladimir Tarasov -- that built the prototype shock absorber and energy harvester. That product used a hydraulic system ...
- Energy-Harvesting IC Plays Into Internet Of Things Ecosystemon February 9, 2021 at 4:01 pm
This presentation will cover the importance of the booming energy storage ... lower system BOM cost, higher power efficiency and density Bidirectional PFC and hybrid inverter solutions to meet ...
- Xidas Creates New Battery Hybrid: Supercap and Rechargeable Lithium Batteryon February 8, 2021 at 12:13 pm
This is especially true as many IoT devices increasingly integrate energy-harvesting devices onboard as a means of extending battery life. These kinds of systems often employ supercapacitors and ...
- Hybrid LIC Supercapacitors Deliver up to 220 Farads at 3.8 Volts from Cornell Dubilier Electronicson February 7, 2021 at 9:13 am
UPS systems, emergency lighting, LED powered solar lighting, and energy harvesting from solar or wind power. CDE's VMF and VPF Series Hybrid LIC Supercapacitors are available from stock through ...
- Xidas Introduces a Small Hybrid Supercapacitor/Rechargeable Lithium Battery Ideal for Energy Harvesting IoT Applicationson February 5, 2021 at 10:59 am
Supercapacitors are commonly used in conjunction with energy harvesting circuits for IoT to allow for the steep pulses when transmitting data wirelessly. The model RHB-1530 is an integrated pulse ...
via Bing News