A new Finnish invention by EEE Innovations Ltd and VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland revolutionizes the way black ice is detected and provides several other improvements in traffic safety as well. The software installed in vehicles can also guide drivers to drive more economically. Software-based, the invention can be installed into a majority of heavy vehicles in particular with no additional equipment.
The new invention allows slippery road conditions to be detected extremely accurately and even in real time and with costs significantly lower than by any other methods currently in use. The first application of this patented technology is offered for heavy traffic use, but the invention can be applied to private vehicles as well.
– The driving optimization system we have developed is the only one capable of recognizing the driver’s input in economical driving, taking also into account factors independent of the driver, such as weather conditions, traffic jams and vehicle-related differences, says Jarmo Leino from EEE Innovations Oy, the company that has developed the service.
Data gathered from the vehicles is refined and delivered forward. The driver guidance system can be installed as a part of software already existing in the vehicles. It can also be installed as an independent entity, containing both the driving optimization and slipperiness detection components.
– Our goal is to make all heavy vehicles moving slipperiness sensors and to refine the gathered data into valuable information, to benefit all traffic users and other parties, Jarmo Leino states.
The inventions originate from VTT heavy traffic research projects, and they have been piloted in one EU-level project as well as in Finland.
– The pilot project indicates that with the system, savings up to 20% in fuel consumption can be reached, in addition to improved road safety, says Principal Scientist Raine Hautala of VTT.
The Latest on: Detecting slippery road conditions
[google_news title=”” keyword=”detecting slippery road conditions” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
- Slippery road conditions with Tuesday’s snowy weatheron November 29, 2022 at 9:09 pm
Eau Claire County Emergency Management Coordinator said it's important to go slow when driving in the snowy road conditions.
- Snow to lead to slippery road conditionson November 29, 2022 at 9:23 am
A winter weather advisory is in effect through 9 p.m. Tuesday as snow is expected to fall on the area. The advisory is for portions of central, east central, south central and southeast Minnesota, as ...
- Twitch says it’s getting better at detecting and blocking young userson November 24, 2022 at 4:15 am
In a post on Twitch’s safety center, the Amazon-owned company announced that it’s improving its methods for detecting and terminating the accounts belonging to young users and is also working ...
- SEPTA reveals new ZeroEyes pilot program to detect gunson November 18, 2022 at 2:47 pm
The transportation authority's board approved a new artificial intelligence pilot program Thursday aimed at detecting guns on buses, trains and subway cars. "This acts as an early warning system ...
- The Slippery Slope of Election Denialon November 17, 2022 at 9:54 pm
While Mr. Kagan is undoubtedly correct in noting the increased severity of the issue, he and others might be less surprised by the slippery slope of election denial if they recognized the nature ...
- Stutsman County sheriff says roads are very slipperyon November 17, 2022 at 9:54 am
He said road conditions contributed to the accidents. The National Weather Service in Bismarck issued a winter weather advisory that remains in effect until 6 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 17. The advisory says ...
- National Weather Service: Plan for 'slippery' road conditions Thursday with winter advisoryon November 17, 2022 at 7:55 am
Plowing arterial roads — roads that connect to high-traffic areas — is public works' top priority, so be patient when waiting for roads to be plowed. For more information on public works ...
- Wednesday’s storm could get messy during commuteson November 15, 2022 at 4:36 pm
Plan on slippery road conditions due to snow covered roads and possible ice. The storm could impact the Wednesday morning and evening commutes. Snow is forecasted to start overnight and continue ...
- Scientists in Bulgaria may have figured out how to detect wormholeson November 15, 2022 at 10:42 am
A team of researchers at the University of Sofia in Bulgaria may have figured out a novel method for detecting wormholes — assuming, of course, they exist at all. Wormholes are theoretical ...
- STORM WATCH: Officials warn of slippery road conditions due to rain, leaveson November 11, 2022 at 2:26 pm
Storm Watch Team Meteorologist Steve Teeling says there will be periods of heavy rain throughout the evening and overnight Friday into Saturday. The City of Norwalk says they checked 14 hot spots ...
via Google News and Bing News