Last month, Hurricane Maria made landfall in Puerto Rico as a Category 4 hurricane and caused significant damage to the island’s connectivity infrastructure. In the weeks following this disaster, the Project Loon team has been working with the Government of Puerto Rico, the FCC, the FAA, FEMA, spectrum partners and international aviation authorities to bring balloon powered internet to the island to help. Thanks to their support, we are now collaborating with AT&T to deliver emergency internet service to the hardest hit parts of the island.
Working with AT&T, Project Loon is now supporting basic communication and internet activities like sending text messages and accessing information online for some people with LTE enabled phones. This is the first time we have used our new machine learning powered algorithms to keep balloons clustered over Puerto Rico, so we’re still learning how best to do this. As we get more familiar with the constantly shifting winds in this region, we hope to keep the balloons over areas where connectivity is needed for as long as possible.
We’ve never deployed Project Loon connectivity from scratch at such a rapid pace, and we’re grateful for the support of AT&T and the many other partners and organizations that have made this possible. Thanks to the Pan-American and Puerto Rican governments’ aviation authorities and air traffic controllers, who enabled us to send small teams of balloons from our launch site in Nevada to Puerto Rico. Thanks also to SES Networks and Liberty Cablevision who helped quickly set up essential ground infrastructure so that the balloons could get internet connectivity.
We plan to continue to offer emergency internet connectivity in areas where it’s needed for as long as it is useful and we’re able to do so. Project Loon is still an experimental technology and we’re not quite sure how well it will work, but we hope it helps get people the information and communication they need to get through this unimaginably difficult time.
About Project Loon
Project Loon is a network of stratospheric balloons designed to deliver internet connectivity to rural and remote areas worldwide. Loon balloons sail on winds in the stratosphere, extending the reach of our telecommunication partner’s networks into areas that are currently unconnected.
Since our first sizable tests in New Zealand in 2013, Loon balloons have flown more than 26 million kms around the world. Thanks to improvements in balloon design and durability, many balloons stay airborne for more than 100 days, with our record breaking balloon staying aloft for 190 days. This is the second time that Project Loon has been used to connect people after a disaster. In early 2017, Project Loon delivered basic internet connectivity to tens of thousands of people in flood-affected zones in Peru in partnership with the Peruvian government and Telefonica.
Learn more: Turning on Project Loon in Puerto Rico
Current update on Project Loon
The Latest Bing News on:
- Tourism boosters worry lack of public EV charging could hurt New Hampshireon February 2, 2023 at 3:05 am
A bill in the state Senate would address barriers to installing charging stations, as tourism groups warn the state faces stiff competition from Maine and Vermont.
- Biden team gives nod to huge Alaska oil project, setting up climate fighton January 31, 2023 at 9:40 pm
ConocoPhillips’ oil drilling project, known as Willow, can go forward on Alaska’s North Slope, but with a smaller footprint, says an Interior Department report.
- Google Loon’s Internet Balloons Come Back To Earth After A Decade In The Stratosphereon January 31, 2023 at 4:00 pm
After a journey of a decade, what started as Project Loon by Google is no more. Promoted as a way to bring communications to the most remote parts of the globe, it used gigantic, high-altitude ...
- The 20 best rock songs right nowon January 31, 2023 at 8:23 am
boygenius, Jesus Piece, Parannoul, Wednesday, and more all feature in this month's round-up of the month's best new guitar music.
- Loon Lake, WA Weather Conditionson January 27, 2023 at 4:00 pm
Thank you for reporting this station. We will review the data in question. You are about to report this weather station for bad data. Please select the information that is incorrect.
- ‘A moonshot story’: Q&A with CEO Astro Telleron January 25, 2023 at 5:19 pm
CEO of Google X Labs and Stanford alum Eric “Astro” Teller ’93 encouraged students to search for science fiction-sounding solutions to world problems and craft their “moonshot story” during a Q&A ...
- Crookston natives’ new horror film ‘LOON!’ debuts Friday at River Cinemaon January 25, 2023 at 7:18 am
Kale Eickhof, a Crookston native, is shown filming a scene for the film "LOON!" in the summer of 2020. The film “started off as a pandemic project,” Kale said in a news release. “We figured ...
- 'If it's not quilt-related, I don't have it': New shop opens in Two Harborson January 24, 2023 at 5:47 am
Kathy Ruberg always wanted to own a fabric store. When the perfect space opened up, she dove in and now has 1,300 bolts of fabric to sell at One Old Loon in Two Harbors.
- Tanukichan Finds Direction In The Fuzzon January 19, 2023 at 8:55 am
songs like lead single “Make Believe” project skepticism towards seeing these things as a quick-fix solution to our problems. Van Loon was raised in a strictly religious household, but she ...
- Best Project Management Software Of 2023on January 18, 2023 at 2:19 am
Commissions do not affect our editors' opinions or evaluations. Project management software makes it easy to plan projects, allocate tasks and keep teams organized so that deadlines and goals are met.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Project Loon” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
The Latest Bing News on:
Contract for the Web
- State Employees' Credit Union Selects Black Knight's Servicing Solutions for Unmatched Level of Innovationon February 2, 2023 at 9:50 am
The Nation's Second Largest Credit Union Will Implement the MSP Mortgage Servicing System and Integrated Solutions to Further Enhance the Member Experience. State Employees' Credi ...
- DOD to Favor Small-Business Contracts Over 'Best-in-Class' Awardson February 2, 2023 at 3:00 am
Contracting officers will prioritize goals for small- and disadvantaged-business contracting over BIC objectives "if achievement of both goals is not possible." ...
- Uptime International wins contracts for Pelagic Wind Services CSOVson February 2, 2023 at 2:37 am
Uptime International (Uptime) has been awarded 2 firm and 4 optional contracts from Cochin Shipyard, India, for the supply of logistics systems to be included on their new build vessels for Pelagic ...
- Postal Service Awards $70M Contract for Data Compliance Modernizationon January 31, 2023 at 10:32 am
The United States Postal Service will modernize its data compliance and e-Discovery tools, boosting the agency’s regulatory and litigator position. USPS awarded multi-cloud data management company ...
- Caterpillar workers in US gear up for 2023 contract battleon January 26, 2023 at 10:26 pm
Fill out the form at the end to tell us about your working conditions and what you think workers should be fighting for. Caterpillar workers arriving to vote on the 2017 UAW-CAT contract [Photo: WSWS] ...
- GAO calls on Energy Department to bolster competition for management contractson January 25, 2023 at 1:36 pm
The congressional watchdog learned of industry worries about broadly scoped contracts that potentially shut out small- and medium-sized firms.
- Tim Berners-Lee: ‘I don’t regret creating the web’on January 22, 2023 at 3:44 am
The aim, according to the Web Foundation, is to hold regular meetings between now and May, to hammer out the details and unveil a so-called contract for the web in late spring 2019. "A lot of ...
- Tech Leaders Weigh In on Tim Berners-Lee’s “Contract for the Web”on January 6, 2023 at 4:01 pm
Berners-Lee’s Contract for the Web addresses this. It’s interesting—we are the first civilization that has ever had to contemplate co-evolving with machines and technology. So, in a way ...
- The blue contract for solar projectson January 2, 2023 at 4:03 am
The contract is eligible for specific performance and may be ordered specific performance under article 76 of the Contracts Law, Cap.149 and/or the Sale of Land (Specific Performance) Law, L.81(I ...
- Amazon Web Services Secures Navy Contract For Over $700Mon December 21, 2022 at 3:36 am
© 2022 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved. Trending: Beginning Of The End Of Putin? Opposition Leader Says 'He Is Falling ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Contract for the Web
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Contract for the Web” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]