Last month, Hurricane Maria made landfall in Puerto Rico as a Category 4 hurricane and caused significant damage to the island’s connectivity infrastructure. In the weeks following this disaster, the Project Loon team has been working with the Government of Puerto Rico, the FCC, the FAA, FEMA, spectrum partners and international aviation authorities to bring balloon powered internet to the island to help. Thanks to their support, we are now collaborating with AT&T to deliver emergency internet service to the hardest hit parts of the island.
Working with AT&T, Project Loon is now supporting basic communication and internet activities like sending text messages and accessing information online for some people with LTE enabled phones. This is the first time we have used our new machine learning powered algorithms to keep balloons clustered over Puerto Rico, so we’re still learning how best to do this. As we get more familiar with the constantly shifting winds in this region, we hope to keep the balloons over areas where connectivity is needed for as long as possible.
We’ve never deployed Project Loon connectivity from scratch at such a rapid pace, and we’re grateful for the support of AT&T and the many other partners and organizations that have made this possible. Thanks to the Pan-American and Puerto Rican governments’ aviation authorities and air traffic controllers, who enabled us to send small teams of balloons from our launch site in Nevada to Puerto Rico. Thanks also to SES Networks and Liberty Cablevision who helped quickly set up essential ground infrastructure so that the balloons could get internet connectivity.
We plan to continue to offer emergency internet connectivity in areas where it’s needed for as long as it is useful and we’re able to do so. Project Loon is still an experimental technology and we’re not quite sure how well it will work, but we hope it helps get people the information and communication they need to get through this unimaginably difficult time.
About Project Loon
Project Loon is a network of stratospheric balloons designed to deliver internet connectivity to rural and remote areas worldwide. Loon balloons sail on winds in the stratosphere, extending the reach of our telecommunication partner’s networks into areas that are currently unconnected.
Since our first sizable tests in New Zealand in 2013, Loon balloons have flown more than 26 million kms around the world. Thanks to improvements in balloon design and durability, many balloons stay airborne for more than 100 days, with our record breaking balloon staying aloft for 190 days. This is the second time that Project Loon has been used to connect people after a disaster. In early 2017, Project Loon delivered basic internet connectivity to tens of thousands of people in flood-affected zones in Peru in partnership with the Peruvian government and Telefonica.
Learn more: Turning on Project Loon in Puerto Rico
Current update on Project Loon
The Latest Bing News on:
- Japan’s Docomo leads HAPS projecton December 7, 2023 at 8:17 am
Several companies, including Japan’s NTT Docomo, will develop direct-to-device (D2D) mobile services, delivered via a space-based non-terrestrial network (NTN) using high-altitude platform stations, ...
- 10 Best Project Management Software Of 2023on December 5, 2023 at 9:08 pm
She currently serves as a business consultant, operations manager, and content strategist at Doubting Thomas Research Foundations’ Afghan Liberty Project, a small non-profit organization.
- Project Polaro Codes (December 2023)on December 5, 2023 at 8:04 pm
Pokémon is one of my favorite series of all time, whether it's the games, shows, or trading card game. But I have a new one to add: Project Polaro. This Roblox game uses the Pokémon premise and ...
- Project Slayers Codes (December 2023) – Updated Daily!on December 5, 2023 at 4:00 pm
We looked for new codes! We love to use Project Slayers codes to give us more Demon Art Spins, Clan Spins, Experience, and Wen. We found that it's not easy for us to snag items and spins early on in ...
- All of the above: Aalyria’s plan to light up the worldon December 5, 2023 at 8:02 am
Built out of the Minkowski routing system for Loon, Aalyria envisions a network of satellites and other moving objects coming in and out of connectivity with each other, ground stations, and user ...
- Aalyria Wins Contract with European Space Agency to Build O-RAN Compliant Orchestration Platform to Unlock 5G/6G Non-terrestrial Connectivityon December 4, 2023 at 7:00 pm
Spacetime is a production-validated platform, having orchestrated complex HAPS networks on Google’s Project Loon in Kenya and Peru. In recent months, Aalyria has struck partnerships with Telesat, ...
- Christmas Carols In Loon Lake 2023on December 2, 2023 at 3:53 pm
We couldn't find Christmas Carols Events in Loon Lake at the moment. Subscribe weekly email newsletter for Loon Lake.
- Get to know the finalists behind Minnesota's new flag designson December 1, 2023 at 3:47 pm
ST. PAUL, Minn. — Hanging outside the Pitman family's home is the Minnesota state flag of their dreams—a design the father and son duo created together that was chosen as one of the finalists by the ...
- Project Slayers codes December 2023on November 30, 2023 at 4:00 pm
December 1, 2023: We’re looking out for new Project Slayers codes ahead of update 1.6. What are the new Project Slayers codes? Project Slayers is an action RPG in Roblox where you fight against ...
- Permit sought for industrial development in Kelowna's Airport Business Parkon November 29, 2023 at 11:02 am
The build out of the Airport Business Park on the west side of Highway 97 is continuing. The latest planned project is a two building industrial development bordering Optic Court and Pier Mac Way. The ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Project Loon” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
The Latest Bing News on:
Contract for the Web
- PPE contract for taxi industry declared irregular and unlawful - SIUon December 4, 2023 at 4:00 pm
The Special Investigating Unit’s (SIU) application to review and set aside a personal protective equipment (PPE) contract awarded by the National Department of Transport in April 2020 was successful.
- AI Contract Negotiation – Is The Time For Human Negotiators Over?on December 3, 2023 at 4:00 pm
Contract tools are mainly used for automation and simplifying ... Amazon Q is a generative AI-driven chatbot created by Amazon Web Services (AWS), which is designed ...
- Viewership soars for ‘The Story of Park's Marriage Contract’- new ratings milestone reachedon December 2, 2023 at 1:13 pm
The Story of Park's Marriage Contract, a popular drama by MBC, starring Lee Se Young and Bae In Hyuk, reached its highest viewership ratings to date during the third episode on December 1 ...
- Web Designer Contract Jobson November 26, 2023 at 4:01 pm
We are looking for a Service Designer to work remotely, initially for a 3 month contract for a public sector client. Candidates must be able to start beginning of January. Experience required: - Who ...
- The government’s IT contracting pays middlemen to get around the systemon November 26, 2023 at 2:30 pm
To get work done, the government had to go through a “qualified” contractor. Sometimes, all the work is done by somebody else. A prime contractor can recruit IT workers, or subcontract to other ...
- GM's tentative contract with the UAW appears poised to pass but barelyon November 15, 2023 at 1:56 pm
The tentative contract between the United Auto Workers ... according to the UAW tracker on their web pages. At Ford, the UAW reports that total yes votes as of Wednesday afternoon were 17,968 ...
- Grave concerns regarding the mining contract between the government of Ghana and Barari DV Ghanaon November 14, 2023 at 4:00 pm
The agreement is in all respects similar to the ... It was reported on www.mining.com>web>piedom that, “the short seller said it does not believe that authorities in Ghana would ratify Atlantic ...
- Contract expires next year for 45,000 dockworkers on the US East Coaston November 12, 2023 at 9:49 pm
The agreement also provided a one-time $70 million ... and develop a strategy for winning them. The World Socialist Web Site stands ready to assist dockworkers in this fight.
- How can you align vendor contracts with your web development and design goals?on November 9, 2023 at 4:01 pm
But how can you align vendor contracts with your web development and design goals? Here are some tips to help you negotiate better deals and avoid common pitfalls. Before you approach any vendor ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Contract for the Web
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Contract for the Web” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]