University of Liverpool researchers, working with F2G Limited (Eccles, Manchester), have developed a new antifungal drug to help in the treatment of life threatening invasive fungal infections such as invasive aspergillosis.
Invasive fungal infections are common and often lethal. Despite optimal medical care mortality is 20-30% at six weeks and dramatically rises to 80-100% for drug resistant infection.
These infections occur most commonly in the context of leukemia and bone marrow transplantation and often in young patients with otherwise curable disease.
The researchers, led by Professor William Hope from the University’s Antimicrobial Pharmacodynamics and Therapeutics (APT) Group, have characterised the biochemical and physiologic effects (pharmacodynamics) of F901318, which is the lead compound of the new class of drugs termed the ‘orotomides’.
The ‘orotomides’, discovered by F2G Limited, have a novel mechanism of action which is the specific biochemical interaction through which a drug substance produces its pharmacological effect.
This is the first new class of antifungal agent to be discovered in the last three decades.
The study, which was supported by a research grant by F2G, has been published in mBio.
APT’s work provides the underpinning evidence for efficacy and dosage justification for the very first patients receiving the new drug. Such information is required by regulatory agencies such as the European Medicines Agency and the Food and Drug Administration before clinical studies can proceed.
Professor Hope, said: “Antifungal resistance represents a major global clinical challenge. This study provides the necessary information to enable F901318 to be developed for clinical use.”
Learn more: Researchers help develop new antifungal drug
The Latest on: Antifungal drug
- Anti-Fungal Treatment Market Challenges, Drivers, Outlook, Development, Key Opportunities And Analysis of Key Players To 2022-2031on May 13, 2022 at 12:22 am
Based on drug class the global market has been classified into Azoles, Echinocandins, Polyenes, Allylamines, Pyrimidines, and Others. By therapeutic Indications, the global antifungal treatment ...
- Read Why HC Wainwright Lowered Price Target On This Small Biotech Stockon May 12, 2022 at 6:28 pm
Cidara confirmed that the application filing of lead antifungal drug rezafungin as a potential first-line treatment for candidemia and invasive candidiasis remains on track for mid-2022 ...
- Anti-fungal Drugs Market Growth and Demands Analysis from 2022-2028 | Novartis Ag, Abbott Laboratories, Bayer Agon May 12, 2022 at 1:20 am
Gravitas Market Insights provides in-depth research of the Anti-fungal Drugs Market with complete insights into significant factors and characteristics impacting the potential growth of the market.
- Antifungal agent Bifonazole as an antiviral against SARS-CoV-2on May 11, 2022 at 9:20 pm
In the drug screening, other imidazole antifungals (econazole, ketoconazole, clotrimazole, oxiconazole nitrate) and an imidazole anti-inflammatory agent, tribenoside, blocked the S RBD-ACE2 ...
- Anti-microbial/Anti-fungal Tests Market For The Foreseeable Future and Should Push Past US$ 1.2 Billion by The End of 2027on May 10, 2022 at 8:15 am
Microbial and fungal infections are a major cause of death globally and can even cause potential epidemics, creating a huge economic burden on countries, especially developing ones.To nip the spread ...
- Antifungal Drugs Market Innovation and Product Optimization to Boost Growth Till 2030on May 10, 2022 at 3:50 am
The surge in prevalence of fungal infections worldwide, increase in knowledge of myriad fungal infections among populace, and rise in government funds to ...
- Review Addresses Antifungal Prophylaxis in AML and Provides Guidance for Novel Agentson May 9, 2022 at 6:26 am
In most cases, the panel recommends prophylactic antifungal treatment for patients with AML, especially when a novel agent is combined with intensive induction chemotherapy. When patients are ...
- Anti-Fungal Drugs Market Size Outlook And Growth Stance Forecast 2022-2031on May 5, 2022 at 7:02 am
Shibuya-ku, Tokyo, Japan, Japan, May 05, 2022, 08:29 /Comserve / -- Anti-fungal Drugs Market size, share, growth, trends, segmentation, top key players, strategies ...
- Drug-resistant environmental mold: Should we be worried?on May 4, 2022 at 12:00 pm
These molds are becoming increasingly drug-resistant, making infections harder to treat. Genetic analysis of a new study finds that the widespread presence of agricultural antifungals in the ...
- FDA Approves First Drug for Recurrent Vulvovaginal Candidiasison May 4, 2022 at 4:01 am
The drug, oteseconazole, is an azole antifungal indicated to reduce the incidence of recurrent vulvovaginal candidiasis in females who are infertile or postmenopausal. The FDA recently approved the ...
via Google News and Bing News