From the lab of City College of New York chemical engineer and Fulbright Scholar Teresa J. Bandosz comes a groundbreaking development with the potential to thwart chemical warfare agents: smart textiles with the ability to rapidly detect and neutralize nerve gas.
The fabric consists of a cotton support modified with Cu-BTC MOF/oxidized graphitic carbon nitride composites. The latter were developed in the lab previously and tested as nerve agent detoxification media and colorimetric detectors.
Combining Cu-BTC and g-C3N4-ox resulted in a nanocomposite (MOFgCNox) of heterogeneous porosity and chemistry. Upon the deposition of MOFgCNox onto cotton textiles, a stable fabric with supreme photocatalytic detoxification ability towards the nerve gas surrogate, dimethyl chlorophosphate, was obtained.
The detoxification process was accompanied by a visible and gradual color change, which Bandosz said can be used for the selective detection of chemical warfare agents and for monitoring their penetration inside a protective layer.
“These smart textiles adsorbed almost 7g of CWA surrogate/its detoxification products per gram of Cu. The superior performance was linked to the high dispersion of the MOF crystals on the fibers, and a specific texture promoting the availability of the active copper centers,” said Bandosz, who is seeking funding for additional research.
The Latest on: Smart fabric
- Home office ideas – 25 ways to decorate that are smart, practical and stylishon January 27, 2021 at 10:15 am
Be inspired by these home office ideas, whether you have enough space for a fully fledged home office or can simply dedicate a corner of another room to a work space ...
- New Smart EQ ForTwo Edition BlueDawn Launched With Brabus Parts And A $35k Price Tagon January 27, 2021 at 8:37 am
Smart has revisited the EQ ForTwo, making it a bit posher for the 2021 model year, with a new special edition dubbed the BlueDawn. Finished in matte velvet blue, it features black accents all around, ...
- Walmart teams with Israel's Fabric on logistics centers botson January 27, 2021 at 4:15 am
Fabric already works in this manner with at least two retail chains in Israel. US retail giant Walmart is to set up bot-staffed logistics centers based on the technology of Israeli robotics startup ...
- Global Smart Fabrics and Textiles Market 2020 In-depth Assessment, Key Trend, Industry Drivers, Future Roadmap by 2025on January 26, 2021 at 2:25 pm
Global Smart Fabrics and Textiles Market 2020 by Manufacturers, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 is the latest market report rolled out by MarketsandResearch.biz, presents an encyclopedic ...
- Smart Card Market Revenue, Threat, Growth, Market Demand and Product Analysis, Forecast Till 2030 | Gemalto N.V. and Giesecke & Devrient GmbHon January 26, 2021 at 7:57 am
MarketResearch.Biz :Smart Card Market Overview: The report provides quantitative and qualitative information on the global Smart Card market for the period of 2021 to 2030. Given the debilitating ...
- Georgia football: Kirby Smart pays tribute to Braves and MLB legend Hank Aaronon January 22, 2021 at 2:17 pm
Georgia football head coach Kirby Smart honors the late Atlanta Braves legend Hank Aaron. Like many Georgia football fans, Kirby Smart is a card-carrying ...
- CES 2021: Smart Masks Are Here With Binatone's MaskFoneon January 20, 2021 at 8:17 am
The Binatone MaskFone includes built-in Bluetooth earbuds and a microphone for easy phone calls while keeping safe.
- Smart Cities That Reach The Upper Echelons Of Digital Livingon January 19, 2021 at 12:44 pm
Connected communities such as Bleutech Park Las Vegas are a tech-fan’s dream – but without system integration, smart is a non-starter.
- Smart Water Bottle Market Opportunities, Analysis, Restraints, Segmentation and Growth Forecast, Forecast Till 2030 | Ecomo Inc. and Caktus Incon January 19, 2021 at 8:51 am
MarketResearch.Biz :Smart Water Bottle Market Overview: The report provides quantitative and qualitative information on the global Smart Water Bottle market for the period of 2021 to 2030. Given the ...
- Smart Fabrics and Interactive Textiles Market Size 2020 Analysis and In-depth Research on Trends, Emerging Growth Factors and Forecast to 2024on January 19, 2021 at 2:49 am
Final Report will add the analysis of the impact of COVID-19 on this industry." Smart fabrics and interactive textiles ...
via Google News and Bing News