Newly developed “cinematic rendering” technology can produce photorealistic 3D images from traditional CT and MRI data, with potential applications in medical education, communication with patients and physicians, and early disease detection, according to an article published in the August 2017 issue of the American Journal of Roentgenology (AJR).
Recently introduced and not currently approved for clinical use, cinematic rendering produces images akin to a photograph of a 3D model. This novel technique, which produces a more lifelike image than can be achieved with standard volume rendering, has the potential to create a new paradigm in virtual anatomic visualization, said one of the article’s authors, Dr. U. Joseph Schoepf of the Department of Radiology and Radiological Science at the Medical University of South Carolina.
“Cinematic rendering, a new 3D reconstruction technique, provides a lifelike representation of imaging data and may have potential for enhancing diagnostic utility compared with volume rendering, particularly in terms of a more natural and physically accurate image with improved shape and depth perception,” Schoepf said.
Titled Cinematic Rendering in CT: A Novel, Lifelike 3D Visualization Technique,” the article notes that the new technology is currently limited by the amount of computer power necessary to render truly cinematic 3D images, but the next generation of rendering software and graphics-processing hardware holds great promise.
Applications for cinematic image rendering include surgical planning in several specialties, including thoracic surgery, maxillofacial surgery, and interventional radiology, the article stated. In addition, lifelike, cinematically-rendered images can enhance physician-patient communications and relationships, leading to more informed decisions and possibly improved compliance.
The Latest on: Cinematic rendering
- Cinema’s 25 biggest CGI disasters, from Cats to Harry Potteron January 25, 2021 at 3:43 am
Initially, CGI was funny because it was so rudimentary. Think pixelated monsters with unblinking eyes, supposedly living beings with stiff robotic arms, explosions more laughable than scary. But even ...
- In Brighton Beach, a gay teen seeks easy answers and finds only enigmason January 22, 2021 at 2:05 pm
A gay Jewish teen comes of age in a world of plastic-covered couches and Brutalist public buildings glimmering with gray afternoon light.
- Drama adaptation of Bhyrappa's Parva to have subtitles to attract non-Kannadiga audienceon January 22, 2021 at 3:55 am
MYSURU: Taking a cue from how regional cinema was popularised world over ... arrangements are already in place to give it the best rendering. "The writer already has many admirers outside the ...
- Flipclutch Research: WIMI's Dr. Yang on Opportunities and challenges of Extended Reality (XR)on January 21, 2021 at 7:00 am
Flipclutch Research, a market research organization in Hong Kong, recently released a research report on' Opportunities and challenges of Extended Reality'. This report comes from the scientific ...
- 3 Gaming Franchises Returning in 2021on January 21, 2021 at 6:35 am
Hollywood can’t stretch out a movie franchise forever. The actors age, the tastes of the viewers change, and so do filmmakers. A telling example would be ...
- Camels, Angels and Needle head of Cinemaon January 20, 2021 at 12:46 am
The quest for the new and the undiscovered has driven mankind all through its existential evidence on the planet. At some point the discoveries and the load of knowledge going with them were ...
- Maxon Announces the Acquisition of Japanese Distributor Businesson January 19, 2021 at 8:52 am
Maxon has acquired the business segment of its Japanese distributor to strengthen relationship with broadcast and design industries in the region.
- Marvel’s ‘WandaVision’: Filmed in Front of a Live Studio Audience | Disney+on January 16, 2021 at 8:46 am
The first new MCU entry 'WandaVision' in over a year is like something you see on TV at 3 a.m., unsure if it was a dream or not the morning after.
- European Industry for Audio Products to 2027 - Expansion of Online Sales Channels Presents Opportunitieson January 13, 2021 at 1:18 pm
The "Europe Audio Products Market by Type, Technology, and Distribution Channel: Opportunity Analysis and Industry Forecast, 2020-2027" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering.
- New LG CineBeam Projector Elevates Home Movie Viewing To New Heightson January 13, 2021 at 11:00 am
The newest LG CineBeam 4K UHD Laser projector (model HU810P) from LG Electronics (LG) is designed to deliver an authentic movie ...
via Google News and Bing News