Newly developed “cinematic rendering” technology can produce photorealistic 3D images from traditional CT and MRI data, with potential applications in medical education, communication with patients and physicians, and early disease detection, according to an article published in the August 2017 issue of the American Journal of Roentgenology (AJR).
Recently introduced and not currently approved for clinical use, cinematic rendering produces images akin to a photograph of a 3D model. This novel technique, which produces a more lifelike image than can be achieved with standard volume rendering, has the potential to create a new paradigm in virtual anatomic visualization, said one of the article’s authors, Dr. U. Joseph Schoepf of the Department of Radiology and Radiological Science at the Medical University of South Carolina.
“Cinematic rendering, a new 3D reconstruction technique, provides a lifelike representation of imaging data and may have potential for enhancing diagnostic utility compared with volume rendering, particularly in terms of a more natural and physically accurate image with improved shape and depth perception,” Schoepf said.
Titled Cinematic Rendering in CT: A Novel, Lifelike 3D Visualization Technique,” the article notes that the new technology is currently limited by the amount of computer power necessary to render truly cinematic 3D images, but the next generation of rendering software and graphics-processing hardware holds great promise.
Applications for cinematic image rendering include surgical planning in several specialties, including thoracic surgery, maxillofacial surgery, and interventional radiology, the article stated. In addition, lifelike, cinematically-rendered images can enhance physician-patient communications and relationships, leading to more informed decisions and possibly improved compliance.
The Latest on: Cinematic rendering
- Diving deep into Dolby: In conversation with Sameer Seth and Jayant Shah at Dolby Laboratorieson August 1, 2022 at 5:55 am
In conversation with the folks over at Dolby to understand the company’s journey in making their technologies increasingly prevalent ...
- Avengers 6 Fan Poster Recreates Secret Wars Comic Cover With Spider-Manon August 1, 2022 at 4:49 am
A fan artist creates an imaginary poster for the upcoming Avengers: Secret Wars, recreating an original comic cover featuring Spider-Man as Venom.
- Cinema Clubon July 31, 2022 at 9:03 pm
If you’re a regular drinker in central Bangkok like Thonglor, Sathorn, or even Charoenkrung, the Ari scene feels completely different. However, Cinema Club’s drinks and vibes are worth the change of ...
- ‘Superman & Lois’ Paints a Timely, Tarnished Picture of the Man of Steel’s Hometownon July 29, 2022 at 12:00 pm
The show’s cinematography, color, and production design craft a modern approach to truth, justice, and the American way.
- Watch The Cinematic Video For Ghost’s New Single, ‘Spillways’on July 27, 2022 at 5:21 am
In other Ghost audiovisual news, MTV is currently in the midst of a massive 10 full-length broadcasts of Ghost’s 6-song ‘Live From The Ministry’ ritual in its entirety on MTV Live. Check local ...
- No Man's Sky: Endurance Update: More Improvements to Freighters Implemented in Experimental Patch 3.97on July 26, 2022 at 8:54 am
Players can now harvest carbon from the plants found on the walls of agricultural freighter rooms. However, this update is only available on PC.
- PSVR 2 ‘see-through’ view, broadcast mode & cinema mode detailedon July 26, 2022 at 7:02 am
Sony has revealed more details about the capabilities of the upcoming PlayStation VR2 headset. This includes a 'see-through' view, special broadcast mode ...
- Official Ant-Man And The Wasp: Quantumania Art Reveals First Look At Kang The Conqueror And A New MCU Heroon July 23, 2022 at 4:14 pm
Marvel Cinematic Universe devotees have received ... dropped his awesome image on Instagram. The gorgeous rendering shows the titular Ant-Man and Wasp alongside Cassie Lang, who’s sporting ...
- The 23 Most Bizarre Cinematic Makeup Transformations, Rankedon July 21, 2022 at 5:46 pm
Joseph Gordon-Levitt utilized makeup effects from esteemed artist Kazuhiro Tsuji as well as blue eye lens caps to render his face closer to that of Bruce Willis, who played the elderly version of ...
- Sony Reveals Spider-Man Remastered PC Specs, Special Features And Eye-Popping Traileron July 21, 2022 at 6:53 am
Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered is headed to PC with a bunch of visual and feature upgrades; here's what you'll need to run it.
via Google News and Bing News