Researchers have developed a new synthesis route for alternative catalysts of noble metals for versatile chemical reactions that could help address environmental concerns.
Noble metals such as platinum are useful as catalysts for versatile chemical reactions including fuel cell vehicles and reduction of CO2 emission. However, they are too costly to be used for these purposes.
As inexpensive alternatives, organic-based catalysts and carbonaceous catalysts were explored, but were ultimately found to be impractical. This was because organic-based catalysts tend to be active but unstable, while carbonaceous catalysts are stable but less active.
In this work, researchers believe they have found a solution by developing a new synthesis route for intermediate materials of organic-based catalysts and carbonaceous catalysts.
While conventional carbonaceous catalysts have amorphous carbonaceous structures that cause a decline in catalytic activities (Fig. 1a), the new synthesis route enables the formation of carbonaceous catalysts with controlled chemical structures like organic-based catalysts (Fig. 1b). This synthesis route is capable of developing alternative catalysts of noble metals for many eco-friendly technologies such as fuel cell vehicles, hydrogen generation from water and CO2 reduction.
Fig.1 Synthesis schemes of (a) conventional carbonaceous catalysts and (b) this work for ordered carbonaceous frameworks.
The Latest on: Alternative catalysts
- Internet freedom activists scramble to help Iranians evade Tehran’s digital crackdownon October 1, 2022 at 6:06 am
Tech-savvy protesters and Iranian authorities play a cat and mouse game as the regime tries to muzzle angry demonstrations.
- PHYS: Back Up The Truckon September 30, 2022 at 3:58 pm
The dollar has been an absolute wrecking ball to risk assets and this has put considerable pressure on gold as well as all risk assets. Click here to read more.
- 3 Stocks to Watch in the Promising Agriculture - Products Industryon September 29, 2022 at 10:38 am
The Zacks Agriculture – Products industry comprises companies that are either involved in storing agricultural commodities or distributing ingredients to others or engaged in farming of crops, ...
- Josep Cornella breaks boundaries to make new and better catalystson September 29, 2022 at 6:00 am
You have to be open to cross boundaries,” he says, “and learn from it.” The fringes are “where the rich new things are.” Cornella is an organic chemist by industry standards; he synthesizes molecules ...
- COLUMN-Oil and coal sectors think more fossil fuels is the solution. Probably not: Russellon September 28, 2022 at 9:54 pm
If there is one thing the oil and coal industries can agree upon, it's that the solution to the current global energy crisis is more fossil fuels. This was the consistent message from the two ...
- Oil Prices Could Be Set For Another Sharp Riseon September 28, 2022 at 5:00 pm
Bullish and bearish catalysts are battling it out in the oil market, but macro factors could win out and bring oil back to the $100 level ...
- O’Neal Comprehensive Cancer Center awards nearly $1M in grantson September 28, 2022 at 11:53 am
The O’Neal Comprehensive Cancer Center at the University of Alabama at Birmingham recently awarded almost $1 million in grants to advance new cancer-related projects and initiatives. Two types of ...
- CATALYST Simplifies Access to Earth Data and Analytics through Collaboration with Microsofton September 27, 2022 at 7:33 am
TORONTO, Sept. 27, 2022 /CNW/ - CATALYST today announced that it is enabling simplified access to earth data through Microsoft's critical initiative, AI for Earth. This collaboration has allowed ...
- CATALYST Simplifies Access to Earth Data and Analytics through Collaboration with Microsofton September 27, 2022 at 7:30 am
CNW/ - CATALYST today announced that it is enabling simplified access to earth data through Microsoft's critical initiative, AI for Earth. This collaboration has allowed Microsoft to leverage ...
- Here's What Drove Alternative Energy Stocks Like Plug Power Higher Early Mondayon September 26, 2022 at 12:27 pm
Word on progress toward the launch of the U.S.'s first hydrogen train has rejuvenated renewable energy investors today.
via Google News and Bing News