Researchers have developed a new synthesis route for alternative catalysts of noble metals for versatile chemical reactions that could help address environmental concerns.
Noble metals such as platinum are useful as catalysts for versatile chemical reactions including fuel cell vehicles and reduction of CO2 emission. However, they are too costly to be used for these purposes.
As inexpensive alternatives, organic-based catalysts and carbonaceous catalysts were explored, but were ultimately found to be impractical. This was because organic-based catalysts tend to be active but unstable, while carbonaceous catalysts are stable but less active.
In this work, researchers believe they have found a solution by developing a new synthesis route for intermediate materials of organic-based catalysts and carbonaceous catalysts.
While conventional carbonaceous catalysts have amorphous carbonaceous structures that cause a decline in catalytic activities (Fig. 1a), the new synthesis route enables the formation of carbonaceous catalysts with controlled chemical structures like organic-based catalysts (Fig. 1b). This synthesis route is capable of developing alternative catalysts of noble metals for many eco-friendly technologies such as fuel cell vehicles, hydrogen generation from water and CO2 reduction.
Fig.1 Synthesis schemes of (a) conventional carbonaceous catalysts and (b) this work for ordered carbonaceous frameworks.
The Latest on: Alternative catalysts
- CGI Merchant Group Hospitality Fund To Invest In Atlanta HBCU Morris Brown College With $30 Million Hotel Development Projecton March 1, 2021 at 7:28 am
CGI Merchant Group, LLC (CGI) — a minority-owned global investment management firm with a focus in real estate and private equity — announced today it will make a $30 million investment in the ...
- Kartesia: Navigating the waves of 2021on February 28, 2021 at 4:22 pm
While covid-19 has proved challenging, this year offers many opportunities despite the chaos, says Laurent Bouvier, managing partner at Kartesia.
- New Catalyst Can Improve Lithium-Sulfur Battery Life And Performance, Research Findson February 28, 2021 at 10:26 am
A research team at a Korean institute has found a way to improve the performance and durability of lithium-sulfur batteries. Lithium-ion batteries may now be front and centre in powering portable ...
- Bitcoin, The Alternative To Pandemoniumon February 24, 2021 at 4:00 pm
Catalysts in society serve as flames that heat up the environments ... Show them that indeed, there is an alternative that will bail you out. There need not be ruin. By transitioning to Bitcoin, ...
- Support: The Catalyston February 24, 2021 at 3:05 am
February 24, 2021: Back in 2014 France established a counterterrorism force consisting of 3,000, and later 4,000 French special operations and support personnel to pursue Islamic terrorists that move ...
- Alternative splicing and cancer: a systematic reviewon February 23, 2021 at 5:27 pm
The abnormal regulation of alternative splicing is usually accompanied by the occurrence and development of tumors, which would produce multiple different isoforms and diversify protein expression.
- Minister: Nigerian government will make gas alternative energy for industries, transportationon February 22, 2021 at 10:15 pm
The federal government yesterday inaugurated the National Gas Expansion Programme (NGEP) in the Southwest Nigeria as part of its efforts to make gas an alternative energy for industrial, ...
- Sylva: FG Will Make Gas Alternative Energy for Industries, Transportationon February 22, 2021 at 10:00 pm
By Victor Ogunje The federal government yesterday inaugurated the National Gas Expansion Programme (NGEP) in the Southwest Nigeria as part of its efforts to make gas an alternative energy for ...
- Fuel Cell Catalyst Market Data Current and Future Trends, Industry Size, Share, Revenue, Business Growth Forecast to 2026, Fortune Business Insightson February 22, 2021 at 4:20 pm
This basic feature bodes well for the fuel cell catalyst market as these devices present a credible alternative to conventional combustion engines. For example, fuel cell catalysts are able to convert ...
- Localisation and sustainable business model catalysts for faster EV adoptionon February 22, 2021 at 8:26 am
It is exactly with these questions Autocar Professional decided to focus on the theme, 'Building a Sustainable EV Industry' with the ‘EV Forum' - a two-day virtual conference on the emerging EV ...
via Google News and Bing News