Researchers have developed an exoskeleton system that provides personalized support for its user.
In healthy volunteers, the optimized exoskeleton reduced energy expenditure during walking by 24%, on average, compared to when the system was not providing personalized support. Exoskeletons can help enhance human abilities, for example by allowing people to lift greater weight or expend less energy during rehabilitation. Yet, because each person exhibits unique natural movements, a one-size-fits-all exoskeleton approach will not work, research shows.
For example, one person may rotate their ankle more than another, as they walk. To create a more personalized exoskeleton, Juanjuan Zhang et al. developed a system that measures an individual’s energy expenditure as the exoskeleton, which supports the user’s ankle during walking, subtly changes its pattern of assistance. In this case, the system alters its support of ankle movements in four areas: peak torque (rotation), timing of peak torque, and rise and fall times. Over the course of about one hour of walking, the system identifies which patterns of support help the person expend the least amount of energy.
With the exoskeleton optimized for torque support on just one ankle, 11 volunteers experienced a 24% reduction in energy expenditure, on average, while walking. One volunteer who wore the optimized exoskeleton on both ankles experienced a 33% reduction in energy expenditure. Intriguingly, participants who engaged in additional rounds of walking with the optimized exoskeleton experienced further reductions in energy expenditure, suggesting that users who stick with the device may undergo their own subtle adaptations, resulting in further optimization. This advance is highlighted in a Perspective by Philippe Malcolm et al.
The Latest on: Personalized exoskeletons
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Personalized exoskeletons” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
- The Biggest AI Trends In The Next 10 Yearson February 18, 2024 at 10:01 pm
Let’s look ahead just 10 years to 2034. Halfway through the next decade, a lot will have changed, but what will AI look like? Here’s what I think!
- Portescap Set to Showcase Micro-Motion Solutions for Robotics at R-24on February 15, 2024 at 9:14 pm
Fellow Regal Rexnord brand Kollmorgen will be co-exhibiting with Portescap at R-24. This joint showcase underscores the strong partnership and synergies between our brands, highlighting how the full ...
- Embracing the Future: Top Technologies Shaping 2024on February 15, 2024 at 3:29 pm
In the dynamic landscape of technological innovation, each passing year brings forth an array of advancements that redefine the way we live, work, and interact with the world around us. As we step ...
- Strategic Alliances In The Thread Forming Fasteners Marketon February 12, 2024 at 1:34 am
The global Thread Forming Fasteners market has witnessed substantial growth in recent years and is expected to continue expanding during the forecast period and open new avenues for a variety of ...
- Exploring into Civil Exoskeletons Market Dynamics-Drivers, Restraints, Trends, Challenges, and Civil Exoskeletons Market Landscapeon February 12, 2024 at 1:33 am
Growth Insights: The report identifies the regions and segments poised for rapid growth and market dominance, enabling stakeholders to focus their efforts strategically. Geographic Analysis: It ...
- Generators customised for local farmerson February 10, 2024 at 4:49 am
Fit-for-purpose generators built especially to meet the needs of farmers and the agricultural sector are said to be gaining popularity. Smith Power Equipment’s Renier Potgieter asserts that farmers ...
- Analyser offers high performance at low coston February 8, 2024 at 2:00 pm
Gas analysis company Servomex’s feature-rich Servotough Oxy 1900 digital oxygen analyser is specifically designed for hazardous area use and delivers high performance with a low cost of ownership.
- Human Enhancement Technology Market Size to Grow USD 2366.3 Million by 2029 at a CAGR of 17.4% | Valuates Reportson February 6, 2024 at 9:25 am
Human Enhancement Technology Market is Segmented by Type (Replicating Human Ability, Supplementing Human Ability, Exceeding Human Ability), ...
- AI Warns Of AI’s Future Ability To Steal ‘Sensitive Voter Data Or Campaign Information’on January 3, 2024 at 4:22 pm
AI predictions suggest advancements such as the potential for artificial general intelligence (AGI), biotechnology breakthroughs, and personalized medicine. Concerns include unpredictable AI behavior, ...
via Google News and Bing News