Researchers from Genethon, the AFM-Téléthon laboratory, Inserm (UMR 1089, Nantes) and the University of London (Royal Holloway) demonstrated the efficacy of an innovative gene therapy in the treatment of Duchenne muscular dystrophy. Indeed, after injecting microdystrophin (a “shortened” version of the dystrophin gene) via a drug vector, the researchers managed to restore muscle strength and stabilise the clinical symptoms in dogs naturally affected by Duchenne muscular dystrophy.
Teams at Genethon developed, in collaboration with a team at Royal Holloway University of London led by Pr. Dickson, and produced, a gene therapy drug combining an AAV-type viral vector with a shortened version of the dystrophin gene (approximately 4,000 base pairs), allowing the production of a functional protein. Dr Le Guiner’s team tested this innovative treatment in 12 dogs naturally affected by Duchenne muscular dystrophy. By injecting this microdystrophin intravenously, and hence into the whole body of the dogs, the researchers observed that dystrophin expression returned to a high level, and muscle function was significantly restored, with stabilisation of the clinical symptoms observed for over 2 years following injection of the drug. No immunosuppressive treatment was administered beforehand, and no sideeffects were observed.
Some Golden Retrievers develop Duchenne muscular dystrophy naturally. The successful treatment of these dogs, which show the same clinical symptoms as children with this disease, and are of a similar weight, is a decisive step toward developing the same treatment in children. “This preclinical study demonstrates the safety and efficacy of microdystrophin, and makes it possible to consider developing a clinical trial in patients. Indeed, this is the first time that it has been possible to treat the whole body of a large sized animal with this protein. Moreover, this innovative approach allows treatment of all patients with Duchenne muscular dystrophy, regardless of the genetic mutation responsible,” says Caroline Le Guiner, the main author of this study.
The Latest on: Duchenne muscular dystrophy
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Duchenne muscular dystrophy” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
- Boy, 10, who had leg pains and kept falling over during school holiday given heartbreaking diagnosison November 28, 2023 at 1:37 am
Seven weeks later, the family were given the devastating news that Dylan had duchenne muscular dystrophy. The muscular dystrophies (MD) are a group of inherited genetic conditions that gradually cause ...
- Mum thought son, 10, was being clumsy before heartbreaking diagnosison November 28, 2023 at 1:12 am
A mum has shared her heartbreak after her 10-year-old son received a devastating diagnosis. Doctors don’t know how long Dylan Garrod, from Grimsby in Lincolnshire, has left to live due to a ...
- Grimsby mum thought her son, 10, was just being clumsy before heartbreaking diagnosison November 27, 2023 at 10:55 pm
Dylan Gray, 10, from Grimsby, Lincolnshire, complained to his mum Bethan he was in agony before she took him to the doctor and he was eventually diagnosed with duchenne muscular dystrophy ...
- Grimsby mum thought her son, 10, was being clumsy - only to be given devastating diagnosison November 27, 2023 at 9:00 pm
A young Grimsby boy who kept falling over during the summer holidays has been diagnosed with a life-limiting illness. Dylan Gray, 10, complained of pains in his legs and told his mum Bethan that he ...
- Winter accessibility in Whitehorse should be higher priority, say advocateson November 27, 2023 at 8:18 am
Whitehorse doesn’t have a policy that specifically deals with the clearing requirements for on-road accessible parking stalls. But its snow and ice control policy is up for review — meaning city ...
- NS Pharma launches ‘Duchenne Heroes’ campaign to help families navigate the Duchenne journeyon November 27, 2023 at 6:08 am
NS Pharma is launching a new educational campaign for Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy (DMD) aimed at assisting families with DMD patients in navigating both the emotional and medical aspects of their ...
- Finding love with Duchenne muscular dystrophyon November 22, 2023 at 7:01 am
Columnist Shalom Lim celebrates a relationship milestone and affirms that finding true love is worth the effort.
- Heart Failure Undertreated in Duchenne Muscular Dystrophyon November 15, 2023 at 3:24 pm
With improved survival becoming more common among individuals who have Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD), cardiomyopathy is also increasing in prevalence among this population.
- Solid Biosciences Announces IND Clearance by FDA for Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Gene Therapy Candidate SGT-003on November 14, 2023 at 1:05 pm
Planning to initiate Phase 1/2 trial in pediatric DMD Patients – – First cohort to study patients 4 to
via Google News and Bing News