Researchers at The City College of New York-based CUNY Energy Institute announce the development of a novel low cost, rechargeable, high energy density battery that makes the widespread use of solar and wind power possible in the future. It is based on manganese dioxide (MnO2), an abundant, safe and non-toxic material.
In a paper in the journal “Nature Communications,” the scientists report that the uniqueness of the battery is that it is able to achieve both high cycle life and high areal capacity. Achieving high areal capacity is critical for packing a lot of battery electrodes together into a battery case. In essence a high areal capacity is required to build a real, practical battery, as opposed to a small toy battery.
Past researchers have achieved either high cycle life or high areal capacity, but never both together, the team notes.
The innovation that makes this possible is intercalating copper (Cu) into bismuth-modified ?-MnO2, which is called birnessite. The latter was discovered by Ford Motor Company in the 1980s, but it was never known how to use it at high areal capacity. This was later discovered at the CUNY Energy Institute by a team led by Sanjoy Banerjee, Distinguished Professor and director of the Institute.
The battery is intended for use at the scale of the power grid. This would make widespread use of solar and wind power possible.
CCNY research associate Gautam Yadav is the article’s lead author and principal inventor. Joshua Gallaway, Damon Turney, Michael Nyce, Jinchao Huang and Xia Wei were the other researchers.
Original paper: http://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms14424
Receive an email update when we add a new BATTERIES article.
The Latest on: High energy density battery
via Google News
The Latest on: High energy density battery
- CBAT Stock: CBAK Energy Technology Flies On Battery Developmenton April 7, 2021 at 5:10 am
In fact, Panasonic, LG Energy, and CATL have all joined the list of battery ... for mid-range and high-end electric vehicles. Moreover, in addition to the increased power density, the company ...
- Swedish Energy Agency awards grant to develop Sweden’s battery industryon April 6, 2021 at 1:15 am
The Swedish Energy Agency has issued a grant of SEK3.8 million ($437,699) to drive a research project in zinc-ion technology as Sweden aims to strengthen its competitiveness in the battery industry.
- "Drop in" electrolyte avoids cracking in high-capacity lithium batteryon March 30, 2021 at 5:11 pm
When it comes to alternative battery architectures, designs that replace the conventional graphite material in one of the electrodes with high-density ... the excellent energy density promised ...
- Graphite Heat Fins Could Help Boost Battery Energy Densityon March 22, 2021 at 5:00 pm
The key to boosting energy density in next-generation EV batteries may ... The heat spreaders help reduce the high thermal gradients that can shorten battery life—especially when the batteries are ...
- LG Energy Solution remains leader of the battery packon March 22, 2021 at 1:48 am
LG Energy Solution plans to present a high-nickel NCMA — nickel, cobalt, manganese and aluminum-based — battery this year ... for making batteries less than 2mm-thick with higher energy density and ...
- UNIST to develop new electrolyte additives for high-energy-density LIBson March 17, 2021 at 9:01 pm
The amount of metal inside the anode determines the battery capacity. "This work presents a breakthrough in the development of electrolyte additives for high-energy-density Li-ion batteries ...
- Tooth-filling-like material keeps double-density lithium battery stableon March 15, 2021 at 5:00 pm
One of the many potential pathways that could lead us to next-gen energy ... battery is cycled, the operating temperatures keep the material in just the right semi-solid phase to accommodate high ...
- ion Ventures and LiNa Energy Conclude Successful Test of Pioneering Solid-State Sodium Battery Platformon March 10, 2021 at 2:58 am
high-performance, and low-cost solution for EVs and grid-scale energy storage. Our battery technology is designed to deliver increased energy density, increased power density and rapid charge and ...
- CAREER: Engineering electrochemical reversibility in disordered materials for high energy density batterieson February 7, 2021 at 4:08 pm
This CAREER project will conduct fundamental research on advanced battery materials that have the potential for greater energy density and cycle life, while operating in non-flammable water-based ...
via Bing News