Researchers at The City College of New York-based CUNY Energy Institute announce the development of a novel low cost, rechargeable, high energy density battery that makes the widespread use of solar and wind power possible in the future. It is based on manganese dioxide (MnO2), an abundant, safe and non-toxic material.
In a paper in the journal “Nature Communications,” the scientists report that the uniqueness of the battery is that it is able to achieve both high cycle life and high areal capacity. Achieving high areal capacity is critical for packing a lot of battery electrodes together into a battery case. In essence a high areal capacity is required to build a real, practical battery, as opposed to a small toy battery.
Past researchers have achieved either high cycle life or high areal capacity, but never both together, the team notes.
The innovation that makes this possible is intercalating copper (Cu) into bismuth-modified ?-MnO2, which is called birnessite. The latter was discovered by Ford Motor Company in the 1980s, but it was never known how to use it at high areal capacity. This was later discovered at the CUNY Energy Institute by a team led by Sanjoy Banerjee, Distinguished Professor and director of the Institute.
The battery is intended for use at the scale of the power grid. This would make widespread use of solar and wind power possible.
CCNY research associate Gautam Yadav is the article’s lead author and principal inventor. Joshua Gallaway, Damon Turney, Michael Nyce, Jinchao Huang and Xia Wei were the other researchers.
Original paper: http://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms14424
[osd_subscribe categories=’batteries’ placeholder=’Email Address’ button_text=’Subscribe Now for any new posts on the topic “BATTERIES”‘]
Receive an email update when we add a new BATTERIES article.
The Latest on: High energy density battery
[google_news title=”” keyword=”high energy density battery” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: High energy density battery
- Ultra-high density hydrogen storage holds twice as much as liquid H2on February 20, 2024 at 3:59 am
A nanoporous material that holds hydrogen at twice the density of cryogenic liquid H2 could address the challenges of large-scale liquid and gas storage that have held this clean fuel back.
- What Is a Solid-State Battery? How They Work, Explainedon February 13, 2024 at 4:00 am
What makes a solid-state battery different from a "regular" battery, such as the alkaline batteries in a flashlight, or the lead-acid batteries in our cars?
- 3 Battery Stocks With Serious Potential to Make You a Millionaireon February 8, 2024 at 1:36 am
The company is taking the challenge of energy density head on. A battery with higher density equates to more ... base is mostly tied to aviation applications including drones, high-altitude satellites ...
- Battery breakthrough could allow electric cars to go 1,000 km on single chargeon February 7, 2024 at 10:17 pm
The expansion issue of large silicon particles can become pronounced during battery operation, posing limitations for its use as an electrode material. South Korean scientists have now developed a ...
- Battery breakthrough could allow electric cars to go 1,000 km on single chargeon February 7, 2024 at 9:31 pm
South Korean scientists have now developed a “next-generation” high-energy-density lithium-ion battery system that uses tiny silicon particles and gel polymer electrolytes. The gel electrolyte ...
- The New Battery That May Help Soldiers Finally Harness Maximum Energyon January 30, 2024 at 4:00 am
Amprius//Wikimedia Commons In January, Amprius also unveiled a new 400 watt/hour high energy-density battery known as SiCore to help meet customer demand. This line has flexible form-factor ...
- Forsee Power Launches ZEN LITE, a New Ultra-high Energy Density Battery System for Heavy Vehicleson January 22, 2024 at 3:59 pm
Forsee Power (FR0014005SB3 – FORSE – the “Company”), the French expert in smart battery systems for sustainable electromobility, is launching a new offer of high value-added battery ...
- Engineers have created a revolutionary new battery that could replace costly lithium-ion options: ‘Efficient, cheap, safe’on November 13, 2023 at 3:30 am
Lithium-ion batteries have a high energy density ... Their new proton battery has an energy density of 245 watt hours per kilogram, nearly three times the energy density of the team’s 2018 ...
- About the Battery Prototyping Seminaron May 23, 2023 at 9:39 pm
The 2-day seminar will be held in Rochester, NY USA, and includes scientific lectures on lithium ion battery materials, technology, and hands-on training on the best cell fabrication practices from ...
via Bing News