Researchers at The City College of New York-based CUNY Energy Institute announce the development of a novel low cost, rechargeable, high energy density battery that makes the widespread use of solar and wind power possible in the future. It is based on manganese dioxide (MnO2), an abundant, safe and non-toxic material.
In a paper in the journal “Nature Communications,” the scientists report that the uniqueness of the battery is that it is able to achieve both high cycle life and high areal capacity. Achieving high areal capacity is critical for packing a lot of battery electrodes together into a battery case. In essence a high areal capacity is required to build a real, practical battery, as opposed to a small toy battery.
Past researchers have achieved either high cycle life or high areal capacity, but never both together, the team notes.
The innovation that makes this possible is intercalating copper (Cu) into bismuth-modified ?-MnO2, which is called birnessite. The latter was discovered by Ford Motor Company in the 1980s, but it was never known how to use it at high areal capacity. This was later discovered at the CUNY Energy Institute by a team led by Sanjoy Banerjee, Distinguished Professor and director of the Institute.
The battery is intended for use at the scale of the power grid. This would make widespread use of solar and wind power possible.
CCNY research associate Gautam Yadav is the article’s lead author and principal inventor. Joshua Gallaway, Damon Turney, Michael Nyce, Jinchao Huang and Xia Wei were the other researchers.
Original paper: http://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms14424
Receive an email update when we add a new BATTERIES article.
The Latest on: High energy density battery
via Google News
The Latest on: High energy density battery
- How lithium-rich cathode materials for high energy EV batteries store charge at higon February 18, 2021 at 9:30 am
High energy storage batteries for EVs need high capacity battery cathodes. New lithium-excess magnesium-rich cathodes are expected to replace existing nickel-rich cathodes but understanding how the ...
- Future Energy – How Electric Vehicles Transform Battery Demandon February 18, 2021 at 4:51 am
Batteries play a big part in the energy transition. That’s reflected in the price of battery raw materials, including cobalt, nickel and lithium, all of which are rising on the tide of the present ...
- ION Energy to Supply Battery Management System to E-Scooter Startupon February 17, 2021 at 6:58 am
MUMBAI—ION Energy Inc. will supply battery management systems to Ray Electric Motors, a startup company that recently launched its first electric scooter.
- Hitachi Develops Automotive Lithium-Ion Battery with High Power Densityon February 8, 2021 at 4:00 pm
For the same energy density, a lithium-ion battery has about half the volume and weight of a nickel hydrogen battery, and about one-third the volume and weight of a lead battery. This makes the ...
- Home Energy Storage 4.4-6.1 KWh LiFePo4 Battery with solar charging, UPSon February 6, 2021 at 8:50 am
Ultra-safe: LFP battery is safe, reliable and high energy density. High efficiency: high charge and discharge rate. High accuracy: high accurate data acquisition and SOC calculate long cycle life.
- CATL prepping new solid-state battery with up to 400Wh/kg of density – reporton February 3, 2021 at 4:04 pm
Chinese battery manufacturer CATL has revealed ... with density of between 200Wh/kg and 230Wh/kg. Batteries with high energy density are generally able to deliver more power with less space ...
- Hybrid supercapacitor offers NiMH energy density, charges much fasteron February 2, 2021 at 2:11 am
Thus, they have a very high power density ... storing a lot more energy than a regular supercapacitor, while charging almost as quickly. Your car or phone battery won't last as long with one ...
- FREYR, a Developer of Clean, Next-Generation Battery Cells, to List on NYSE Through a Business Combination with Alussa Energy Acquisition Corp.on January 28, 2021 at 10:47 pm
FREYR has entered into a definitive business combination agreement with Alussa Energy Acquisition Corp.; upon closing, the combined company will be renamed“ FREYR Battery” and be listed on the New ...
- Scientists develop anode-free zinc battery for storing renewable energyon January 25, 2021 at 6:41 am
In their paper, Zhu Cui and Alshareef report that the battery showed high efficiency, energy density, and stability, retaining 62.8% of its storage capacity after 80 charging and discharging cycles.
via Bing News