Researchers at Chalmers University of Technology in Sweden have demonstrated efficient solar energy storage in a chemical liquid. The stored energy can be transported and then released as heat whenever needed.
The research is now presented on the cover of the scientific journal Energy & Environmental Science.
?Many consider the sun the energy source of the future. But one challenge is that it is difficult to store solar energy and deliver the energy ‘on demand’.
A research team from Chalmers University of Technology in Gothenburg, Sweden, has shown that it is possible to convert the solar energy directly into energy stored in the bonds of a chemical fluid – a so-called molecular solar thermal system. The liquid chemical makes it possible to store and transport the stored solar energy and release it on demand, with full recovery of the storage medium. The process is based on the organic compound norbornadiene that upon exposure to light converts into quadricyclane.
‘The technique means that that we can store the solar energy in chemical bonds and release the energy as heat whenever we need it.’ says Professor Kasper Moth-Poulsen, who is leading the research team. ‘Combining the chemical energy storage with water heating solar panels enables a conversion of more than 80 percent of the incoming sunlight.’
The research project was initiated at Chalmers more than six years ago and the research team contributed in 2013 to a first conceptual demonstration. At the time, the solar energy conversion efficiency was 0.01 percent and the expensive element ruthenium played a major role in the compound. Now, four years later, the system stores 1.1 percent of the incoming sunlight as latent chemical energy – an improvement of a factor of 100. Also, ruthenium has been replaced by much cheaper carbon-based elements.
‘We saw an opportunity to develop molecules that make the process much more efficient,’ says Moth-Poulsen. ‘At the same time, we are demonstrating a robust system that can sustain more than 140 energy storage and release cycles with negligible degradation.’
The Latest on: Solar energy storage
via Google News
The Latest on: Solar energy storage
- Clean energy jobs in Colorado, nationally are rebounding after pandemic-caused plummeton April 20, 2021 at 11:00 am
After seeing jobs plunge by more than 600,000 at one point in 2020, the clean energy industry, which had been on a fast incline before the pandemic hit, surged 11% by year’s end, fueling ...
- Sweet Deal—Hershey, Others Have Solar Pactson April 20, 2021 at 10:34 am
A well-known chocolate maker has announced two new clean energy partnerships as the company continues to increase its sustainability efforts. The Hershey ...
- RPCS, Energix to Equip Several Virginia Solar Power Projectson April 20, 2021 at 10:13 am
Based in Arlington, Virginia, Energix US, is an independent solar power producer that develops, constructs, owns and operates renewable energy projects ...
- We should use as much energy as we are able to generate from renewable sources | Opinionon April 20, 2021 at 9:34 am
The director of special projects for Green Building Certification Incorporated and former assistant secretary of the Army for Installations, Energy and the Environment calls on consumers to think ...
- National Grid Renewables constructing 275-MW solar + storage project in Texason April 20, 2021 at 7:29 am
Three power purchase agreements were signed on National Grid Renewables' under-construction Noble solar + storage project sited in Denton County, Texas.
- Power Edison Supplying World’s Largest Mobile Battery Energy Storage Systemon April 20, 2021 at 6:07 am
Power Edison, the leading developer and provider of utility-scale mobile energy storage solutions, has been contracted by a major U.S. utility to deliver the world's largest mobile battery energy ...
- Manulife Committing $300 Million to Solar Company CleanCapitalon April 20, 2021 at 5:30 am
Manulife Investment Management committed $300 million to invest in CleanCapital, an owner and operator of U.S. solar assets.
- Global Solar Energy Storage System (ESS) Market Outlook, Industry Analysis and Prospect 2021on April 20, 2021 at 2:38 am
The research report includes specific segments by region (country), by manufacturers, by Type and by Application. Each ...
- Navajo Nation solar project will cement San Juan County’s position as exporter of renewable energyon April 19, 2021 at 6:08 am
Wind, solar and hydro projects could reshape rural San Juan County's economy in coming years as renewable energy emerges as a major export.
via Bing News