Swedish researchers at Sahlgrenska Academy and Chalmers University of Technology have successfully induced human cartilage cells to live and grow in an animal model, using 3D bioprinting. The results will move development closer to a potential future in which it will be possible to help patients by giving them new body parts through 3D bioprinting.
?The results were recently presented in the journal Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Global Open.
“This is the first time anyone has printed human-derived cartilage cells, implanted them in an animal model and induced them to grow,” says Paul Gatenholm, professor of biopolymer technology at Chalmers University of Technology.
2. Vascularisation, i.e., the formation of blood vessels, between the materials.
3. Strong stimulation of proliferation and neocartilage formation by human stem cells.
“What we see after 60 days is something that begins to resemble cartilage. It is white and the human cartilage cells are alive and producing what they are supposed to. We have also been able to stimulate the cartilage cells by adding stem cells, which clearly promoted further cell division,” says Lars Kölby.
“We now have proof that the 3D printed hydrogel with cells can be implanted. It grows in mice and, in addition, blood vessels have formed in it,” says Paul Gatenholm.
“Often, it is like this: we clinicians work with problems and researchers work with solutions. If we can come together, there is a chance of actually solving some of the problems we are wrestling with – and in this way, patients benefit from the research,” says Lars Kölby.
“With what we have done, the research has taken a step forward towards someday, we hope, being able to bioprint cells that become body parts for patients. This is how you have to work when it comes to this kind of pioneering activity: one small step at a time. Our results are not a revolution – but they are a gratifying part of an evolution!”
[osd_subscribe categories=’3-D-bioprinting’ placeholder=’Email Address’ button_text=’Subscribe Now for any new posts on the topic “3-D BIOPRINTING”‘]
The Latest on: 3-D bioprinting
via Google News
The Latest on: 3-D bioprinting
- 3D Bioprinting Global Market Report 2022on May 24, 2022 at 3:56 am
Major players in the 3d bioprinting market are Organovo Holdings Inc, Allevi Inc, Cellink, Aspect Biosystems Ltd, 3D Systems Corporation, Cyfuse Biomedical KK, Envisiontec Inc, Poietis, TeVido ...
- 3D Bioprinting Global Market Report 2022on May 24, 2022 at 3:46 am
New York, May 24, 2022 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Reportlinker.com announces the release of the report "3D Bioprinting Global Market Report 2022" - https://www.reportlinker ...
- Medical 3D Bioprinting Market Analysis, Segmentation, Industry Trends, Demand & Targeting SWOT analysis 2022on May 23, 2022 at 12:49 am
Fusion Market Research is one of the largest collections of market research reports from numerous publishers. We have a team of industry specialists providing unbiased insights on reports to best ...
- 3D Bio-Printing using Human Cellson May 19, 2022 at 8:16 am
UK have a significant facial difference. Our £2.5M Research into 3D bioprinting using human cells is set to change people’s lives.
- 3D Bioprinting Market Size By Type, By Distribution Channel, And Forecast Till 2022-2031on May 18, 2022 at 7:37 am
Shibuya-ku, Tokyo, Japan, Japan, May 18, 2022, 08:40 /Comserve / -- 3D Bioprinting Market Strategies, Share, Segmentation, In-Depth Analysis Research Report By Foresight To (2022-2031 ...
- 3D Bioprinting Market Size by Type, By Distribution Channel, And Forecast till 2022-2031on May 18, 2022 at 4:51 am
Japan, Japan, Wed, 18 May 2022 08:40:50 / Comserve Inc. / -- 3D Bioprinting Market Strategies, Share, Segmentation, In-Depth Analysis Research Report By Foresight To (2022-2031) The dynamic nature ...
- Organovo Achieves 3D Tissue Model for Crohn’s Diseaseon May 17, 2022 at 5:08 am
SAN DIEGO, May 17, 2022 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Organovo Holdings, Inc. (Nasdaq: ONVO), a three-dimensional (3D) biology company focused on delivering scientific and medical breakthroughs using novel ...
- 3D Bioprinting Market Share, Upcoming Trends, Size, Key Segments, Growth Status And Forecast 2031on May 13, 2022 at 12:43 am
Kenneth Research recently added a report on 3D Bioprinting Market in its database of market research reports which provides its readers an in-depth analysis on the latest trends, growth ...
- 3D Systems Expands Efforts in Bioprinting for Regenerative Medicineon May 11, 2022 at 5:00 pm
3D Systems and CollPlant are also looking into other tissues to possibly develop, Hull said. One of the challenges in bioprinting is printing hydrogel materials, which are mostly water, Hull said. “In ...
via Bing News