Organic light-emitting devices and printed electronics can be connected to a socket in the wall by way of a small, inexpensive organic converter, developed in a collaboration between Linköping University and Umeå University.
Printed electronics and organic light-emitting devices now perform at levels sufficient for a number of eco-friendly, energy-efficient applications. Previously the idea has been to drive the organic electronics using solar cells, batteries or wireless transformers, which works well in many cases. But for fixed installations like lighting, signage or UV-blocking windows, it is convenient to use a wall socket. Until now this has not been possible, because the high voltage damages the electronics.
Docent Deyu Tu from LiU’s Division of Information Coding has led a project where colleagues at Umeå University joined forces to find a solution to this problem. And they have now been able to demonstrate an organic converter that makes it possible to drive organic light-emitting devices with high luminescence, and to charge supercapacitors, both using electricity from an ordinary wall socket.
The converter consists of diode-connected organic thin-film transistors, operated at high voltages up to 325 V, with the capacity to transform high alternating current (AC) to a selected direct current (DC).
“For the first time in the world we have been able to demonstrate an AC/DC converter in organic electronics that functions at voltages above 300 V,” says Deyu Tu.
“Our converter paves the way for a wave of flexible, thin, cost-effective and eco-friendly solutions for the electronics of the future.”
A pioneer work
This is a pioneer work of organic AC/DC converters, a first stage to prove the concept of organic power electronics. To be used in real products, the power conversion efficiency needs to be improved.
”We have initiated the follow-up work to deal with this issue”, says Deyu Tu.
Learn more: Organic electronics can use power from socket
Receive an email update when we add a new ORGANIC ELECTRONICS article.
The Latest on: Organic electronics
via Google News
The Latest on: Organic electronics
- Panasonic Launches Novel Substrate Film for Soft Printed Electronicson October 18, 2021 at 2:47 am
Leveraging patented thermoset polymer technology, Panasonic researchers have developed BEYOLEX, a pliable, yet durable, stretchable substrate for printed electronics and other applications.
- Global and Japan Plastics (Organic) Electronics Market Insights, Forecast to 2027on October 17, 2021 at 5:00 pm
Pages Report] Check for Discount on Global and Japan Plastics (Organic) Electronics Market Insights, Forecast to 2027 report by QYResearch Group. Plastics (Organic) Electronics market is segmented by ...
- Integration Will Drive In-Mold Electronics Market, IDTechEx Sayson October 11, 2021 at 6:50 am
An extension of the in-mold decorating process, in-mold electronics’ initial applications will be in consumer goods and automotive interiors.
- Organic Electronics Market Size, Share, Major Manufacturers, Top Countries, Business Strategy, Price and Gross Margin till 2026on October 11, 2021 at 3:02 am
Global “ Organic Electronics Market ” is a professional and in-depth study on the current state of the Organic Electronics industry. The report provides a basic overview of the industry including ...
- Plastics (Organic) Electronics Market Report Provides Marketing Channel, Distributors, Customers and Manufacturing Process Analysis 2021 to 2027on October 8, 2021 at 3:19 am
Oct 08, 2021 (The Expresswire) -- "Final Report will add the analysis of the impact of COVID-19 on this industry" The report analyse the growth rate of ...
- Organic Electronics Market Size to Reach USD 178.25 Billion in 2028 | Emergen Researchon October 5, 2021 at 5:00 pm
VANCOUVER, BC, Oct. 5, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- Emergen Research has published a latest report for the semiconductors and electronics market titled "Organic Electronics Market By Material Type ...
- Organic Electronics Market Size to Reach USD 178.25 Billion in 2028 | Emergen Researchon October 5, 2021 at 8:32 am
According to a current analysis by Emergen Research, the global organic electronics market size was USD 55.18 billion in 2020 and is expected to reach USD 178.25 billion in 2028 and register a ...
- Organic Electronics Market: Global Industry Analysis, Trends, Market Size, and Forecasts up to 2026on September 27, 2021 at 1:47 am
(MENAFN- Comserve) Shibuya-ku, Tokyo, Japan, Japan, Sep 27, 2021, 02:07 /Comserve / -- The report predicts the global organic electronics market to grow with a CAGR of 28.4% over the forecast ...
- Concepts in Molecular and Organic Electronicson September 13, 2021 at 1:02 am
Organic electronics hold the promise for application in flexible displays, printable electronic circuits and inexpensively produced solar cells. Molecular electronics, on the other hand, aim at ...
via Bing News