Organic light-emitting devices and printed electronics can be connected to a socket in the wall by way of a small, inexpensive organic converter, developed in a collaboration between Linköping University and Umeå University.
Printed electronics and organic light-emitting devices now perform at levels sufficient for a number of eco-friendly, energy-efficient applications. Previously the idea has been to drive the organic electronics using solar cells, batteries or wireless transformers, which works well in many cases. But for fixed installations like lighting, signage or UV-blocking windows, it is convenient to use a wall socket. Until now this has not been possible, because the high voltage damages the electronics.
Docent Deyu Tu from LiU’s Division of Information Coding has led a project where colleagues at Umeå University joined forces to find a solution to this problem. And they have now been able to demonstrate an organic converter that makes it possible to drive organic light-emitting devices with high luminescence, and to charge supercapacitors, both using electricity from an ordinary wall socket.
The converter consists of diode-connected organic thin-film transistors, operated at high voltages up to 325 V, with the capacity to transform high alternating current (AC) to a selected direct current (DC).
“For the first time in the world we have been able to demonstrate an AC/DC converter in organic electronics that functions at voltages above 300 V,” says Deyu Tu.
“Our converter paves the way for a wave of flexible, thin, cost-effective and eco-friendly solutions for the electronics of the future.”
A pioneer work
This is a pioneer work of organic AC/DC converters, a first stage to prove the concept of organic power electronics. To be used in real products, the power conversion efficiency needs to be improved.
”We have initiated the follow-up work to deal with this issue”, says Deyu Tu.
Learn more: Organic electronics can use power from socket
Receive an email update when we add a new ORGANIC ELECTRONICS article.
The Latest on: Organic electronics
via Google News
The Latest on: Organic electronics
- Chemists develop variety of industrially important synthetic processon March 3, 2021 at 4:00 pm
The formation of double bonds between two carbon atoms (C=C) is of central significance in natural organisms. The vast majority of natural substances therefore contain one or more of these double ...
- Organic Electronic Market size is projected to reach $159.11 billion by 2027, growing at a CAGR of 21.0% from 2020 to 2027on March 3, 2021 at 4:04 am
According to a recent report published by Report Ocean titled Organic Electronic Market by Material and Application Opportunity Analysis and Industry Forecast 2020 2027 the global organic electronic ...
- Molecular bridges power up printed electronicson February 25, 2021 at 9:32 am
The exfoliation of graphite into graphene layers inspired the investigation of thousands of layered materials: amongst them transition metal dichalcogenides (TMDs). These semiconductors can be used to ...
- Organic Printed Electronics for the 21st Century!on February 18, 2021 at 4:44 am
InnovationLab is a one-stop-shop for everything to do with organic printed electronics: they develop and commercialize functional print products; they provide R&D, pilot production, and mass ...
- Biosensors monitor plant well-being in real timeon February 13, 2021 at 10:23 am
This is why it is important to understand how plants react to changes in the environment and how they adapt," says Eleni Stavrinidou, associate professor in the Laboratory of Organic Electronics ...
- Molecules bend for organic electronicson February 4, 2021 at 6:52 am
These materials have intriguing electronic properties, and the research provides guidance for the design of new organic electronic materials.
- Organic Electronics Market 2021 Analysis and Growth Forecast by Applications, Share, Sales, Size, Types and Competitors by 2026on January 25, 2021 at 9:12 am
Jan 25, 2021 (The Expresswire) -- Global “Organic Electronics Market” research report contains in depth information of industry by size, major manufacturers, growth rate, drivers and ...
- IDTechEx Global Research Report on Flexible, Printed and Organic Electronics 2019-2029: Forecasts, Players & Opportunitieson February 21, 2019 at 9:05 am
13.24. Flexible and Printed Batteries 2019-2029 Market Value by Chemistry type $ millions 13.25. Flexible and Printed Batteries Market by Application in 2019 and 2029 $ millions 13.26 ...
- These Organic Electronics Are Transforming Technology – And the Human Bodyon November 22, 2016 at 8:34 am
Organic electronics is a field that is shaking up the future of our electronic devices. That’s because they’re offering us the opportunity to place screens, electronic readouts, and other ...
via Bing News