Addressing safety risks and energy loss for a society with hydrogen energy
A research group led by Professor Hiroyuki Nishide and Professor Kenichi Oyaizu from the Department of Applied Chemistry developed a hydrogen-carrying polymer, which can be molded as a tangible, safe, and compact plastic sheet.
Although technology developments and research on realizing hydrogen as a major energy source have gone under way, the conventional methods of storing and carrying hydrogen were accompanied by safety risks such as explosions. Hence, hydrogen-exposed organic compounds have been recently studied as hydrogen storage materials, for their ability to stably and reversibly store hydrogen by forming chemical bonds. However, these compounds require vessels or sealed tanks operated at high pressure and/or temperature and often encounter difficulty in their separation from the evolved hydrogen gas. A much safer and more efficient system for storing and storing and carrying hydrogen has been in demand.
The research group discovered that ketone (fluorenone) polymer, which can be molded as a plastic sheet, can fix hydrogen via a simple electrolytic hydrogenation at -1.5V (versus Ag/AgCl) in water at room temperature. On the other hand, fluorenol polymer, a hydrogenated alcohol derivative of fluorenone, can release hydrogen when heated at 80 degree Celsius with an aqueous iridium catalyst. What’s more, the group proved that the cycle of repeatedly fixing and releasing hydrogen under mild conditions without significant deterioration, leading to the developement of a portable, plastic ketone polymer with hydrogen that can be carried around in your pocket.
The advantages of the ketone/alcohol polymer include easy handling, moldability, robustness, non-flammability and low toxicity, and the research results are expected to make contributions in building distributed energy systems in regional areas.
[osd_subscribe categories=’hydrogen-storage’ placeholder=’Email Address’ button_text=’Subscribe Now for any new posts on the topic “HYDROGEN STORAGE”‘]
Receive an email update when we add a new HYDROGEN STORAGE article.
The Latest on: Hydrogen storage
via Google News
The Latest on: Hydrogen storage
- ABS Report Examines Hydrogen and Carbon Value Chainson June 7, 2022 at 5:28 am
The design utilizes NASA hydrogen storage technologies to reach such scale as well as hydrogen fuel cells and batteries, which were used for power generation on the space shuttle. It features a ...
- Global Lightweight Hydrogen Storage Tank Market 2022: Share and Outlook of Regulatory Scenario by 2028on June 6, 2022 at 1:19 pm
The Global Lightweight Hydrogen Storage Tank Market Growth 2021-2027 presented by MarketandResearch.biz enables ...
- Adam Weber: ‘Hydrogen is the main way to decarbonise the hard to decarbonise applications’on June 6, 2022 at 4:23 am
Joining us in California is Adam Weber, Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Technologies Lab Program Manager at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, so we caught up with Weber ahead of the event to find out more ...
- Hydrogen Storage System Market Size, Share, Growth, Analysis, Trend, and Forecast Research Report by 2031on June 3, 2022 at 12:28 am
Transparency Market Research delivers key insights on the global hydrogen storage system market. In terms of revenue, the global hydrogen storage system market is estimated to expand at a CAGR of 11.9 ...
- Researchers develop new biobattery for hydrogen storageon June 1, 2022 at 10:00 am
The battle against climate change is ongoing and will likely never end. Researchers and entrepreneurs have made incredible strides with carbon-neutral ener | Microbiology ...
- Future Mobility – Unlocking the potential of Magnesium-Based Hydrogen Storage Materials by 2028on June 1, 2022 at 4:14 am
Estimates and Forecasts of the Magnesium-Based Hydrogen Storage Materials Market According to market research analysts, the Magnesium-Based Hydrogen ...
- Salt cavern hydrogen storage could be coming to the UKon May 30, 2022 at 1:37 am
An Agreement to Lease (A2L) between UK Oil & Gas PLC’s subsidiary, UK Energy Storage LTD (UKEn) and Portland Port Limited (PPL), could see 1.2 billion m 3 of underground salt caverns utilised for ...
- Hexagon Purus receives order to deliver hydrogen storage systems to HPS Home Power Solutionson May 27, 2022 at 3:40 am
Wystrach’s hydrogen storage systems derived from their reliable and proven industrial gas bundle technology will be used to store green hydrogen. The green hydrogen is produced with surplus solar ...
- Hydrogen Storage Market Challenges On Upcoming Trends and Growth Opportunities 2025on May 27, 2022 at 12:44 am
This report on the global hydrogen storage market presents a detailed overview of the market that deals with the effective storage of hydrogen for it to be used across a number of application areas.
via Bing News