Addressing safety risks and energy loss for a society with hydrogen energy
A research group led by Professor Hiroyuki Nishide and Professor Kenichi Oyaizu from the Department of Applied Chemistry developed a hydrogen-carrying polymer, which can be molded as a tangible, safe, and compact plastic sheet.
Although technology developments and research on realizing hydrogen as a major energy source have gone under way, the conventional methods of storing and carrying hydrogen were accompanied by safety risks such as explosions. Hence, hydrogen-exposed organic compounds have been recently studied as hydrogen storage materials, for their ability to stably and reversibly store hydrogen by forming chemical bonds. However, these compounds require vessels or sealed tanks operated at high pressure and/or temperature and often encounter difficulty in their separation from the evolved hydrogen gas. A much safer and more efficient system for storing and storing and carrying hydrogen has been in demand.
The research group discovered that ketone (fluorenone) polymer, which can be molded as a plastic sheet, can fix hydrogen via a simple electrolytic hydrogenation at -1.5V (versus Ag/AgCl) in water at room temperature. On the other hand, fluorenol polymer, a hydrogenated alcohol derivative of fluorenone, can release hydrogen when heated at 80 degree Celsius with an aqueous iridium catalyst. What’s more, the group proved that the cycle of repeatedly fixing and releasing hydrogen under mild conditions without significant deterioration, leading to the developement of a portable, plastic ketone polymer with hydrogen that can be carried around in your pocket.
The advantages of the ketone/alcohol polymer include easy handling, moldability, robustness, non-flammability and low toxicity, and the research results are expected to make contributions in building distributed energy systems in regional areas.
[osd_subscribe categories=’hydrogen-storage’ placeholder=’Email Address’ button_text=’Subscribe Now for any new posts on the topic “HYDROGEN STORAGE”‘]
Receive an email update when we add a new HYDROGEN STORAGE article.
The Latest on: Hydrogen storage
[google_news title=”” keyword=”hydrogen storage” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Hydrogen storage
- The Heat Surrounding Europe’s Hydrogen Futureon February 3, 2023 at 8:23 am
The clock is now ticking to make green hydrogen an affordable and scalable energy solution for Europe and the rest of the world.
- Hydrogen Storage Market 2023: Analysis Report with Historic and Upcoming Business Growth Revenue with Regional Segmentation Forecast to 2027on February 2, 2023 at 8:05 pm
Feb 03, 2023 (The Expresswire) -- "Final Report will add the analysis of the impact of COVID-19 on this industry." “Hydrogen Storage Market” ...
- Hydrogen Storage Alloy Market 2023 : Top Manufacturers, Key Trends, Progression Status and Business Trends to 2029on February 2, 2023 at 7:24 pm
Final Report will add the analysis of the impact of Russia-Ukraine War and COVID-19 on this Hydrogen Storage Alloy Industry. " Hydrogen Storage Alloy Market " Insights 2023 - By Applications (Hydrogen ...
- Hydrogen energy firm GenH2 shares latest on new jobs and $35M Titusville HQ expansionon February 2, 2023 at 5:12 am
A Space Coast firm has created a liquid hydrogen plant that can be set up nearly anywhere in 15 minutes and uses an equivalent amount of power as an electric stove. Here's how that drives growth.
- Hexagon Purus opens new U.S. facility to manufacture composite hydrogen tankson February 1, 2023 at 10:00 pm
CW attends the opening of Westminster, Maryland site and shares the company’s history, vision and leading role in H2 storage systems.
- Hydrogen Storage Alloys Market will value USD 4,458 million by 2030 : GreyViewson January 31, 2023 at 7:00 am
By Application (Fuel Cells, Rechargeable Batteries, Cooling Devices, and Others), Regions, Segmentation, and forecast till 2030.Pune India, Jan. 31, 2023 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The market has been ...
- Hydrogen Energy Storage Market Value To Be USD 304,108 Million in 2030, Says P&S Intelligenceon January 26, 2023 at 11:41 am
NEW YORK, Jan. 25, 2023 /PRNewswire/ -- The worldwide hydrogen energy storage market has garnered USD 14,100 million revenue, which will grow to USD 304,108 million at a 46.80% CAGR from 2022 to ...
- Cryo-compressed hydrogen, the best solution for storage and refueling stations?on January 25, 2023 at 10:00 pm
Cryomotive’s CRYOGAS solution claims the highest storage density, lowest refueling cost and widest operating range without H2 losses while using one-fifth the carbon fiber required in compressed gas ...
- Global Ammonia and Hydrogen Storage Industry...on January 24, 2023 at 2:57 pm
DUBLIN, Jan. 24, 2023 /PRNewswire/ -- The "Technological Advancements Enabling Ammonia for Efficient Hydrogen Storage" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. In this report ...
via Bing News