Tiny super magnets could be the future of drug delivery
Microscopic crystals could soon be zipping drugs around your body, taking them to diseased organs.
In the past, this was thought to be impossible – the crystals, which have special magnetic properties, were so small that scientists could not control their movement. But now a team of Chinese researchers has found the solution, and opened new applications that use these crystals to save lives.
If some magnetic materials, such as iron oxides, are small enough – perhaps a few millionths of a millimetre across, smaller than most viruses – they have an unusual property: their magnetisation randomly flips as the temperature changes.
By applying a magnetic field to these crystals, scientists can make them almost as strongly magnetic as ordinary fridge magnets. It might seem odd, but this is the strongest type of magnetism known. This phenomenon is called superparamagnetism.
Superparamagnetic particles could be ideal for drug delivery, as they can be directed to a tumour simply by using a magnetic field. Their tiny size, however, has made them difficult to guide precisely. Until now. Kezheng Chen and Ji Ma from Quingdou University of Science and Technology, Quingdou, China have demonstrated a method of producing much larger superparamagnetic crystals and have recently published their findings in Physics Letters A.
These large crystals do not show the unwanted magnetic properties of the small crystals. “The largest superparamagnetic materials that we have been able to make before now were clusters of nanocrystals that were together about a thousand times smaller than these,” says Chen. The large crystals are about the width of a human hair.
This discovery paves the way for superparamagnetic bulk materials that could revolutionise drug delivery in the body. And this is just the beginning. Chen’s crystals might, for example, be useful in the many engineering projects that need “smart fluids” to build safer car parts or better human prostheses.
Learn more: Crystals to the rescue
The Latest on: Super magnets drug delivery
via Google News
The Latest on: Super magnets drug delivery
- New Fluorescence Microscopy Technique for Nanostructure Visualization Within Cellson May 6, 2022 at 5:00 pm
Researchers at Purdue University have developed a new technique to dramatically enhance the resolution achievable when imaging intracellular structures with super-resolution fluorescence microscopy.
- Wesana Health Reports Q4 2021 Financial Results and Provides Subsequent Period Highlightson May 2, 2022 at 8:03 pm
PCT Patent Applications for Novel Drug Protocols On December 9, 2021, Wesana announced the completion of PCT applications toward securing the exclusive rights to protocols, delivery methods and ...
- Wesana Health Reports Q4 2021 Financial Results and Provides Subsequent Period Highlightson May 2, 2022 at 7:49 pm
PCT Patent Applications for Novel Drug Protocols On December 9, 2021, Wesana announced the completion of PCT applications toward securing the exclusive rights to protocols, delivery methods ... to ...
- Wesana Health Reports Q4 2021 Financial Results and Provides Subsequent Period Highlightson May 1, 2022 at 5:01 pm
In addition, we are pleased to report that our Care Delivery business segment ... all of the Company’s outstanding Proportionate Subordinate Voting Shares and Super Voting Shares as at December 31, ...
- Parkview High School grad counters Super Bowl commercial featuring a Brookwood T-shirt with a nod to his own alma materon April 27, 2022 at 8:21 pm
During the Super Bowl in early February ... including a Parkview plate and a Parkview soccer refrigerator magnet — into the commercial titled “Inside the Machine,” which finds Goldblum ...
- Injectable Drug Delivery Market Production, Size, Key Trends Challenges, Top Key Players and Forecast to 2029on April 23, 2022 at 5:00 pm
Injectable Drug Delivery market report also puts light on historic data, present market trends, future products environment, marketing strategies, technological innovation, upcoming technologies ...
- What you need to know about the TheraFace Pro, the new massage gun for your faceon April 15, 2022 at 12:00 am
Choose from three different percussive speeds, adjust the intensity of the microcurrent, or use TheraFace Pro's magnetic ring system ... cone and super soft tip. A two-year warranty (compared ...
- Ergatta vs. Other Rowerson March 2, 2021 at 8:46 am
Over the past decade or two, rowing machines – which once were relegated to dimly lit boat houses for the winter training by crew teams – have come out into the sunlight and into many people's ...
- The 9 best mascaras and fake eyelashes for all the lash love in 2022on February 12, 2021 at 2:03 pm
We rounded up the best mascaras and false lashes to try, from waterproof to magnetic ... and other drug stores, blew up on TikTok as a must-have mascara for it’s super lengthening magic in ...
via Bing News