Washington State University researchers have developed a low-cost, portable laboratory on a smartphone that can analyze several samples at once to catch a cancer biomarker, producing lab quality results.
The research team, led by Lei Li, assistant professor in the School of Mechanical and Materials Engineering, recently published the work in the journal Biosensors and Bioelectronics (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0956566316308983).
At a time when patients and medical professionals expect always faster results, researchers are trying to translate biodetection technologies used in laboratories to the field and clinic, so patients can get nearly instant diagnoses in a physician’s office, an ambulance or the emergency room.
The WSU research team created an eight channel smartphone spectrometer that can detect human interleukin-6 (IL-6), a known biomarker for lung, prostate, liver, breast and epithelial cancers. A spectrometer analyzes the amount and type of chemicals in a sample by measuring the light spectrum.
Although smartphone spectrometers exist, they only monitor or measure a single sample at a time, making them inefficient for real world applications. Li’s multichannel spectrometer can measure up to eight different samples at once using a common test called ELISA, or colorimetric test enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay, that identifies antibodies and color change as disease markers.
Although Li’s group has only used the smartphone spectrometer with standard lab-controlled samples, their device has been up to 99 percent accurate. The researchers are now applying their portable spectrometer in real world situations.
“With our eight channel spectrometer, we can put eight different samples to do the same test, or one sample in eight different wells to do eight different tests. This increases our device’s efficiency,” said Li, who has filed a provisional patent for the work.
“The spectrometer would be especially useful in clinics and hospitals that have a large number of samples without on-site labs, or for doctors who practice abroad or in remote areas,” he said. “They can’t carry a whole lab with them. They need a portable and efficient device.”
Li’s design works with an iPhone 5. He is creating an adjustable design that will be compatible with any smartphone.
The Latest on: Biodetection technologies
via Google News
The Latest on: Biodetection technologies
- Opportunity to Reform the Department of Homeland Security’s Biodefense Operations and Governanceon May 24, 2022 at 5:01 am
Congress can strengthen the Department of Homeland Security’s ability to manage its biodefense responsibilities by taking action now.
- Reporter Gene Assay Market Research Report by Product, Application, End User, State - United States Forecast to 2027 - Cumulative Impact of COVID-19on May 23, 2022 at 5:57 am
New York, May 23, 2022 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Reportlinker.com announces the release of the report "Reporter Gene Assay Market Research Report by Product, Application, End User, State - United States ...
- Reporter Gene Assay Market Research Report by Product, Application, End User, State - United States Forecast to 2027 - Cumulative Impact of COVID-19on May 23, 2022 at 5:48 am
Reportlinker.com announces the release of the report "Reporter Gene Assay Market Research Report by Product, Application, End User, State - United States Forecast to 2027 - Cumulative Impact of ...
- GovCon Wireon May 5, 2022 at 5:00 pm
NASA is set to put out a preliminary request for a potential $14 billion information technology acquisition contract focused on The premier source of breaking business news for the government ...
- Biodetection Market 2022 Target Client, Brand Strategy, Distributors, Marketing Channel Development and Trend to 2028on May 4, 2022 at 3:08 am
Dycor Technologies, Ltd., and BioDetection Systems B.V. What are the key dynamic factors that are detailed in the report? Key Market Dynamics: The Biodetection Market research report details the ...
- Emerging Protein Array Technologies for Proteomicson April 29, 2022 at 5:00 pm
Thus, properly functionalized MNPs are preferred for multiplex magnetic biodetection because they ... (U54CA151459), Innovative Molecular Analysis Technologies (R33CA138330), Stanford Medical ...
- Biodetectors Market Production and Consumption Analysis 2021-2026: Dynamics and Growth Trends Forecaston April 20, 2022 at 3:54 pm
BioDetection systems, Bertin technologies, BBI Detection, Smiths Detection.' The global 'Biodetectors Market' study analyses the industry in terms of size, share, volume, value, and geographical ...
- BioFlyte Raises $6.1M in Series A Financing to Advance Biothreat Detection Technologyon April 19, 2022 at 6:11 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M., (BUSINESS WIRE) -- BioFlyte, a biodetection company with a revolutionary ... raised $6.1M in new financing led by Cottonwood Technology Fund with additional funding from ...
- Global $49.8 Billion Biosensors Markets to 2030: Rapid Technological Advancements in the Drug Screens Area Due to COVID-19on April 19, 2022 at 4:56 am
Dublin, April 19, 2022 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The "Biosensors Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report by Technology (Thermal, Electrochemical, Optical), by Application (Medical, Agriculture), by ...
via Bing News