Two robotic sailboats trace lawn-mower-style paths across the violent surface of the Bering Sea, off the coast of Alaska. The boats are counting fish — haddock, to be specific — with a fancy version of the fish finder sonar you’d find on a bass fishing boat.
About 2,500 miles away, Richard Jenkins, a mechanical engineer and part-time daredevil, is tracking the robot sailboats on a large projection screen in an old hangar that used to be part of the Alameda Naval Air Station. Now the hangar is the command center of a little company called Saildrone.
At least 20 companies are chasing the possibly quixotic dream of a self-driving car in Silicon Valley. But self-sailing boats are already a real business.
While they are counting fish, Saildrone’s boats are also monitoring the seals that feed on the fish by tracking transponders that scientists have attached to the heads of the seals.
“We can tell them what size fish they are eating and why they are going there,” said Mr. Jenkins, who is the chief executive and a co-founder of the company.
Last summer, working with scientists and engineers from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, the boats skimmed along the edge of the retreating Arctic ice cap, giving scientists a detailed account of temperature, salinity and ecosystem information that would have been difficult and expensive to obtain in person.
The Saildrone autonomous sailboats look a little like shrunken America’s Cup racing yachts — small trimarans with hard, carbon-fiber sails.
The Saildrone’s carbon fiber sail acts like an aircraft wing. When air passes over it, thrust is created. The sail is stabilized by a counterweight that is placed in front of it and a tab trailing behind it that can automatically make small corrections to make sure it maintains an efficient angle to the wind. Underneath the boat are both a rudder to aid in steering and a keel, which will right the boat if it is knocked over.
The big difference, of course, is that there are no sailors on board. The boats are controlled through communications satellites from the operations center here as they collect oceanographic data and monitor fish stocks and the environment.
One day, they may be used for weather prediction, oil and gas industry ocean operations, or even to police illegal fishing.
The Latest on: Robot sailboats
[google_news title=”” keyword=”robot sailboats” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Robot sailboats
- San Jose shipwreck's sunken treasure will be raised from the deep using underwater robot after years-long tug of war over the trove of coins, gemstones and artifacts - as ...on February 24, 2024 at 6:34 am
Culture Minister Juan David Correa told AFP that an underwater robot, scheduled to operate between April and ... with a US firm claiming it found the boat and demanding half the loot. Also laying ...
- Sweden announces largest aid package for Ukraine with combat boats and submarine weaponson February 23, 2024 at 5:00 pm
Sweden has announced a new military aid package for Ukraine, which will also include combat boats and underwater weapons.The Minister of Defense of Sweden Pal ...
- Legendary shipwreck's treasure of "incalculable value" will be recovered by underwater robot, Colombia sayson February 23, 2024 at 1:00 pm
The San Jose sank in 1708 while laden with gold, silver and emeralds estimated to be worth billions of dollars.
- Baird Center's structure is engineered for big boats and 'Jump Around'on February 22, 2024 at 12:05 pm
Mike Vogel’s structural engineering team at Graef designed the Baird Center to be strong enough to carry the weight of a boat show, and stiff enough to avoid vibrations causing a “Jurassic Park” ...
- The best robot vacuum deals this week include 50% off one of the smartest Roombason February 21, 2024 at 9:45 am
Find the robot vac that's right for your home — and your bank account. Credit: Roborock UPDATE: Feb. 21, 2024, 12:45 p.m. EST This story has been updated with latest pricing for robot vacuums on ...
- Scientists Are Putting ChatGPT Brains Inside Robot Bodies. What Could Possibly Go Wrong?on February 20, 2024 at 4:00 pm
In restaurants around the world, from Shanghai to New York, robots are cooking meals. They make burgers and dosas, pizzas and stir-fries, in much the same way robots have made other things for the ...
- Best robot vacuums in 2024 tested and ratedon February 20, 2024 at 9:33 am
The best robot vacuums balance top-class performance with a versatile design. We tested over 30 models to find those that deliver across the board in terms of pick-up, smart features, and ease of use.
- Sweden to provide Ukraine with assault boats as part of €630 million aid packageon February 20, 2024 at 12:37 am
The Swedish government has presented its largest military aid package to Ukraine to date, worth SEK 7.1 billion (€630 million). Source: SVT, reported by European Pravda Details: This package, with a ...
- Harni boat tragedy: 3 more arrestedon February 15, 2024 at 7:49 pm
Vadodara: Three more persons accused in the Harni boat capsizing incident were arrested by the city police on Thursday.
via Bing News