If you’re driving in a Chinese city in the none-too-distant future and your car is engulfed in a smooth, humming metallic belly, don’t panic. It may feel like an alien abduction, but probably it’s only a colossal, street-straddling bus.
The idea of a bus so large, high and long that it could virtually levitate above congested streets seemed surreal when presented at an expo in Beijing in May. But it came a step closer to reality this week, when a prototype went for an experimental spin in Qinhuangdao, a seaside city in northern China.
The makers of the vehicle, known as the Transit Elevated Bus, declared the ride down a few hundred yards of street on Tuesday a success, but the controlled conditions hardly reflected the gnarled unpredictability of Chinese traffic.
Television news showed the bus, resembling a goliath bug, edging forward down tracks while two cars nestled side by side underneath.
“I wanted to officially show people that this is entirely possible and that the bus can be up and running,” Song Youzhou, the designer of the straddling bus, said in a telephone interview from Qinhuangdao.
“We were inspecting and testing the vehicle for a range of functions, like ignition, braking and other processes, to see if they all work together and there are no problems,” Mr. Song said.
The Latest on: Transit Elevated Bus
via Google News
The Latest on: Transit Elevated Bus
- After Five Years, Kevin Desmond Reaches His TransLink Terminuson January 21, 2021 at 1:43 pm
Kevin Desmond, the TransLink CEO who ‘lives and breathes public transit,’ is returning to the US. Photo courtesy of TransLink. Tough times bookended Kevin Desmond’s time in the driver’s seat of Metro ...
- Is a High Line Extension Really What We Need on the Far West Side?on January 20, 2021 at 1:21 pm
The new bridge over the Hudson, the terminals at La Guardia Airport, the expanded Penn Station — all were warm-ups for what he presumably sees as the logical next step: an elevated pedestrian ...
- MTA bus driver refused drug test after driving off Bronx overpasson January 15, 2021 at 12:13 pm
transit officials said Friday. Eight were left injured when the driver of the Bx35 bus veered off a ramp onto the Washington Bridge at around 11:10 p.m. and plunged from the elevated road ...
- Midtown West To Be Transformed In Major Redevelopment, Cuomo Vowson January 14, 2021 at 10:27 pm
Gov. Andrew Cuomo laid out an ambitious plan Thursday to transform Midtown West through new housing and revitalized public transit.
- Civil Construction Starts For The First RRTS Project of The Countryon January 14, 2021 at 8:06 pm
Civil Construction Starts For The First RRTS Project of The Country. The project will ease up connectivity in NCR Region.
- Cuomo proposes $306 billion New York transit overhaulon January 14, 2021 at 10:28 am
Governor Andrew Cuomo put forth a wide-reaching, $306 billion plan to overhaul New York’s transit system that ... plan also would extend the High Line elevated park to improve access to the ...
- Cuomo Proposes $306 Billion New York Transit Overhaulon January 14, 2021 at 10:25 am
Governor Andrew Cuomo put forth a wide-reaching, $306 billion plan to overhaul New York’s transit system that would add train lines, expand airport capacity and make hubs cleaner and easier to use.
- Civil construction starts for high speed rapid rail projecton January 12, 2021 at 4:36 am
The 4.3 km section will be elevated. The two stations will be developed as a milestone hub with a major transit interchanging ... Sarai Kale Khan Inter-State Bus Terminus (ISBT).
- Civil construction starts for rapid rail projecton January 11, 2021 at 5:12 pm
NEW DELHI: In a big step towards hassle-free commute in the Delhi NCR region, the National Capital Region Transport Corporation (NCRTC) has begun the civil construction for the high-speed rapid rail ...
via Bing News