If you’re driving in a Chinese city in the none-too-distant future and your car is engulfed in a smooth, humming metallic belly, don’t panic. It may feel like an alien abduction, but probably it’s only a colossal, street-straddling bus.
The idea of a bus so large, high and long that it could virtually levitate above congested streets seemed surreal when presented at an expo in Beijing in May. But it came a step closer to reality this week, when a prototype went for an experimental spin in Qinhuangdao, a seaside city in northern China.
The makers of the vehicle, known as the Transit Elevated Bus, declared the ride down a few hundred yards of street on Tuesday a success, but the controlled conditions hardly reflected the gnarled unpredictability of Chinese traffic.
Television news showed the bus, resembling a goliath bug, edging forward down tracks while two cars nestled side by side underneath.
“I wanted to officially show people that this is entirely possible and that the bus can be up and running,” Song Youzhou, the designer of the straddling bus, said in a telephone interview from Qinhuangdao.
“We were inspecting and testing the vehicle for a range of functions, like ignition, braking and other processes, to see if they all work together and there are no problems,” Mr. Song said.
The Latest on: Transit Elevated Bus
via Google News
The Latest on: Transit Elevated Bus
- Bikeway in air benefits commuters in east China’s Xiamenon February 24, 2021 at 2:19 am
An aerial view of an elevated bicycle lane in Xiamen, east China’s Fujian province. (Photo/Xiamen Daily) A 7.6-kilometer-long elevated bicycle path in Xiamen, east China’s Fujian province, has brought ...
- Even After Doubling, ArcLight Clean Transition Stock Still Looks Goodon February 23, 2021 at 6:02 am
Thus, even at its current price point, which is still elevated in the wake of a ... Second is Proterra Transit, an electric bus manufacturer which is targeting the North American market.
- Even After Doubling, ArcLight Clean Transition Stock Still Looks Goodon February 23, 2021 at 5:56 am
This is basically what happened with ArcLight Clean Transition (NASDAQ: ACTC ): the company revealed its intention to merge with electric bus maker Proterra, and ACTC stock quickly doubled. Source: ...
- Dhaka Metro Mass Rapid Transit Systemon February 21, 2021 at 4:00 pm
MRT Line-6 is a 20km elevated line. Credit: Sk Hasan Ali / Shutterstock ... The project is proposed to be combined with the Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) and Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) projects. The Dhaka ...
- RIP Personal Rapid Transiton February 17, 2021 at 4:00 pm
running on elevated guideways. Brian Martucci in the F&C; writes that "they would cost no more than $20 million per mile to implement — one-third the cost of light rail transit — and ...
- Maharashtra government clears Metro Neo line in Pimprion February 17, 2021 at 11:13 am
The Maharashtra cabinet on Wednesday approved a proposal to extend the Pune Metro from Pimpri to Nigdi. The 4.41-km elevated Metro Neo corridor is being built as an additional route after the ...
- Scarborough RT should get a second life — as an elevated park, cycling path or more — community leaders sayon February 16, 2021 at 4:00 pm
Once the service is shut down, the advocates say its stations and elevated guideways ... already poorly served by transit, will be left with slower, less reliable bus service.
- Asad Umar Reveals Expected Launch Date for Green Line Karachion February 15, 2021 at 6:09 am
Karachi’s Green Line Bus Rapid Transit System will become operational in July or August this year, Federal Minister for Planning, ...
- Kunming Rail Transit (KRT) / Kunming Metroon February 14, 2021 at 4:00 pm
A view of the elevated sections of Line 6 of the Kunming Rail Transit. Image courtesy of Luodingyu ... Line 2 will be the 22km north-south backbone of the system, connecting the North Bus Station with ...
- Winter Storm Aftermath Still Causing Problems For Pedestrians, Mass Transit Riders As NYC Crews Continue To Work To Clear Snowon February 4, 2021 at 5:36 am
Preemptive inspections by NYC Transit during the storm identified nets in six areas below elevated tracks filling ... The heavy snow is causing problems for bus riders, too. RELATED STORY ...
via Bing News