While most farmers are actively trying to kill weeds, researchers in Ohio are trying to grow them – fast. Taraxacum kok-saghyz, a special variety of dandelion from Kazakhstan — nicknamed “Buckeye Gold” by the researchers studying it — may be the answer to sustainable and U.S.-based rubber-making.
An article in Chemical & Engineering News (C&EN), the weekly newsmagazine of the American Chemical Society, examines the plants’ potential for revolutionizing the rubber industry.
Melody Bomgardner, a senior editor at C&EN, takes a look at the work of Katrina Cornish, a researcher currently studying Buckeye Gold at the Ohio State University. While it might look like a regular dandelion, this variety’s roots contain 10-15 percent natural rubber. The goal is to cultivate these dandelions to the point where they can become an industrial rubber crop. Currently, rubber trees that grow on plantations in Thailand, Indonesia and Malaysia take years to grow, making it hard for producers to adapt to changes in the market. Also, transporting the material is costly to both the industry and the environment. With Buckeye Gold, crops can be grown locally, and they mature much faster than rubber trees.
However, scaling up dandelion cultivation so it is competitive with the well-established rubber industry will take time. Researchers are looking to modify these dandelions so they can withstand disease and pest-control measures, which would otherwise kill them. Also, because the plant’s root has only small amounts of rubber in it, researchers will have to find ways to use the rest of the crop in order for it to be truly sustainable.
The Latest on: Sustainable rubber
via Google News
The Latest on: Sustainable rubber
- Vibram's Infamous FiveFingers Releases in Sustainable "KSO Eco" Makeupon February 24, 2021 at 12:57 pm
With a seperate piece for every toe and a build that looks like a no-show sock with a sole, Vibram ‘s infamous FiveFingers is an undeniably unique piece of footwear. Now, after serving as the ...
- Global Intelligent Rubber Tracks Market By System Type, By End User, By Region, Industry Analysis and Forecast, 2021 – 2027on February 24, 2021 at 5:41 am
Future Market Insights has adopted multi disciplinary approach to shed light on the evolution of the Intelligent Rubber Tracks Market during the historical period The study presents a deep dive ...
- Global Agricultural Food Grade Rubber Conveyor Belt Market is projected to grow at a CAGR of 4.9% during the forecast period of 2018–2028on February 24, 2021 at 4:34 am
Agricultural Food Grade Rubber Conveyor Belt Market Report Description This FMI study offers a ten year analysis and forecast for the global agricultural food grade rubber conveyor belt market between ...
- Michelin tyres to be 100% sustainable by 2050on February 24, 2021 at 3:27 am
Michelin says its tyres will be made entirely from renewable, recycled, bio-sourced or otherwise sustainable materials by 2050.
- In 2050, Michelin tires will be 100% sustainableon February 24, 2021 at 2:12 am
Inspired by the VISION concept tire introduced in 2017, an airless, connected, rechargeable and entirely sustainable solution, the Michelin Group is committed to making its tires 100% sustainable by ...
- Michelin promises tyres will be made from fully sustainable materials by 2050on February 24, 2021 at 1:28 am
Major tyre manufacturer Michelin has revealed how it plans to make its tyres from fully sustainable materials by 2050. The French firm says it currently makes tyres with 28 per cent sustainable ...
- Meet the Owners of 'What the Duck,' the Rubber Duck Store That's Gone Viral on TikTokon February 23, 2021 at 8:18 am
Michael English and his girlfriend, Bethany Beckett, opened the Kentucky store with one purpose: to spread joy.
- Michelin tyres to be 100 per cent sustainable by 2050on February 23, 2021 at 4:13 am
The Michelin Group is committed to making its tyres 100 per cent sustainable by the year 2050. Currently, nearly 30 per cent of the components used in the manufacture of Michelin tyres are already ...
- Cooper Tire & Rubber Company (NYSE:CTB) Is About To Go Ex-Dividend, And It Pays A 1.0% Yieldon February 21, 2021 at 8:13 pm
It looks like Cooper Tire & Rubber Company (NYSE:CTB) is about to go ex-dividend in the next three days. If you purchase the stock on or after the 26th of February, you won't be eligible to receive ...
- Confused? Buy or Sell in volatile market – Analyst report Cooper Tire & Rubber (NYSE:CTB)on February 21, 2021 at 3:05 pm
Cooper Tire & Rubber announce their quarterly, annual earnings. See the latest EPS estimates. Listen to the conference call and remind yourself ...
via Bing News