Can a robot help Germany integrate its influx of migrants? A new research project thinks the answer might be yes.
More than 1 million refugees reached Germany last year. Children represent around 25 percent of the refugees and migrants arriving in Europe, according to the International Organization for Migration.
That’s where “Nao” comes in. Researchers at Germany’s Bielefeld University are testing whether the high-tech, wide-eyed robot can help teach migrant children language skills.
“Kids respond very positively to the small humanoid robot Nao that we are programming,” said Stefan Kopp, an artificial intelligence expert working on the project. “They are highly motivated and its fun for them to interact with the technology.”
The “El Tutor” project aims to explore how social robots can assist with second language teaching at pre-schools, like being used for classroom exercises.
“The robot might actually ask the child for help at times,” Kopp said. It also can offer fun responses when a child performs well.
The Latest on: El Tutor Project
via Google News
The Latest on: El Tutor Project
- New Research Uncovers Benefits of Remedial Tutoring and Social-Emotional Learning for Refugee Childrenon June 29, 2021 at 9:07 pm
New York, NY, June 30, 2021 — New research from the International Rescue Committee (IRC), conducted in partnership with New York University's Global TIES for Children (NYU-TIES), finds that an ...
- Making Your Own Lithium-ion Batterieson June 29, 2021 at 5:00 pm
[Bill Porter] put together a quick tutorial where he makes a 14.4V 2.2 AH battery for about $10. He picked up a set of cable-modem backup batteries (used to make sure your bundled phone service ...
- 20 people to knowon June 25, 2021 at 6:12 am
El Dorado currently has 174 of these units under construction at its Spur Cross master-planned community in Queen Creek and just broke ground on another 200-unit project in the city of Maricopa.
- The HUB Writing Centeron June 20, 2021 at 4:59 pm
On-line or E-tutoring: What's the Difference ... If you're working on a writing or public speaking project, we can help. Always feel free to come in a few times throughout a writing project. That way ...
- Volunteers are the lifeblood of literacyon June 11, 2021 at 5:00 pm
Serving those in need Albuquerque Reads – a project of the Greater Albuquerque Chamber of Commerce – is another literacy program with a goal of providing tutors for young students. Its ...
- Special Report: The Literacy Projecton June 11, 2021 at 5:00 pm
ALBUQUERQUE READS: This is a project of the Greater Albuquerque Chamber of Commerce and works in conjunction with the Albuquerque Public Schools to provide one-on-one tutoring of kindergartners ...
- We’re important in education process, says tutorial operatorson June 10, 2021 at 11:25 pm
The Association of Tutorial and School Operators, Mr Oludotun Sodunke, has said they are an integral part of the country’s education system. Sodunke was reacting to allegations made against ASTO ...
- Seattle tutoring app Kadama gets quick lesson in success as it raises $1.7M, grows social followingon June 7, 2021 at 8:58 am
The Kadama team, from left: Marwan El-Rukby, Amin Shaykho and Dani Shaykho. (Kadama Photo) New funding: Kadama, the Seattle-based tutoring app which seized on its quirky social media presence to ...
- Master Townson May 17, 2021 at 9:41 pm
This is an ongoing project. The public may bring donated items ... For information, call 609-236-8800. Get tutoring assistance: Students can receive free, on-demand tutoring help from an online ...
- Grossmont College Breaks Ground On Science and Tech Buildingon May 14, 2021 at 10:34 am
EL CAJON, CA — Grossmont College broke ground ... which will house a new Veterans Resource Center. The project will expand classroom, lab and office spaces for programs including physical ...
via Bing News