Researchers at Disney Research and ETH Zurich have demonstrated that consumer-grade light-emitting diode (LED) bulbs can, with some modifications, do double duty — both illuminating a room and providing a communications link for devices in that room.
This visible light communication (VLC) system would be suitable for connecting the many devices, such as appliances, wearable devices, sensors, toys and utilities, that could comprise the Internet of Things, or IoT, said Stefan Schmid, a Ph.D. student at Disney Research and ETH Zurich.
LEDs can both produce light and serve as light sensors. By having individual LEDs alternate between sending modulated light signals and serving as receivers of signals, it is possible to create a network of bulbs that can send messages to each other and connect to devices, while having no discernible effect on room lighting.
Schmid and his colleagues designed and implemented such a VLC system, demonstrating that it is a viable way to interconnect devices within a room. They will share details of the system, called EnLighting, on June 26, 2016 at the IEEE International Conference on Sensing, Communication and Networking (SECON) 2016 in London.
“Interconnecting appliances, sensors and a wide variety of devices into the Internet of Things has many potential benefits, but using radio links to do so threatens to make the radio spectrum an even scarcer resource,” said Markus Gross, vice president at Disney Research. “Visible light communication networks conserve the radio spectrum, while also making it difficult to eavesdrop for anyone out of line of sight of the network.”
LEDs are an attractive option for interconnecting devices because they are low-cost, non-intrusive and ubiquitous. No special wiring is needed and the bulbs can be positioned anywhere.
The Latest on: Visible light communication system
via Google News
The Latest on: Visible light communication system
- Gmail, Slack, Zoom and more—Tech rules for new grads and everyone else at workon May 12, 2022 at 1:00 pm
You’re likely familiar with tools like Zoom and Gmail, but how you use them is more consequential at work. Your professors weren’t in charge of how much money you could make, ...
- Bigger windows, more glass: Creating efficient, safe, and inspiring spaceson May 9, 2022 at 1:13 pm
THIS COURSE IS SUPPORTED BY: Thanks to data and analytics used routinely today to model and predict building performance, new and remarkably subtle approaches are being used to create façades and ...
- Visible Light Communication (VLC) Equipment Market Size 2022, Share, Growth with Recent Trends, Development, Revenue, Demand and Forecast to 2027on May 4, 2022 at 4:51 am
Lvx Systems, Koninklijke Philips, San’an Optoelectronics. “The Global Visible Light Communication (VLC) Equipment Market statesthe impact of Coronavirus COVID-19 on theindustry/market ...
- Worldwide Light Fidelity (Li-Fi)/ Visible Light Communication Industry to 2027 - by Component Type, Application and Regionon May 4, 2022 at 3:25 am
Dublin, May 04, 2022 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The "Global Light Fidelity (Li-Fi)/ Visible Light Communication Market ... and growing uses of the LED lighting system further contribute to the growth ...
- Worldwide Light Fidelity (Li-Fi)/ Visible Light Communication Industry to 2027 - by Component Type, Application and Regionon May 4, 2022 at 3:23 am
Dublin, May 04, 2022 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The "Global Light Fidelity (Li-Fi)/ Visible Light Communication Market 2021-2027" report ... by advancement in IoT and growing uses of the LED lighting system ...
- Global Light Fidelity (Li-Fi)/ Visible Light Communication Market to 2027 - Featuring Koninklijke Philips, Panasonic and PureLIFI Among Others - Reseaon April 29, 2022 at 11:25 am
DUBLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The "Global Light Fidelity (Li-Fi)/ Visible Light Communication Market 2021-2027" report ... crunch by advancement in IoT and growing uses of the LED lighting system further ...
- Indoor location Market to Garner US$ 24,601.1 million, Globally, by 2028 at 25.3% CAGR: The Insight Partnerson April 22, 2022 at 5:09 am
visible light communication, and radiofrequency identification. The majority of the indoor location systems in the market use a combination of technologies in order to accomplish their functions ...
- The planets are prepping for an epic alignment. Here's how to see it shape up.on April 15, 2022 at 6:09 pm
Five planets, visible to the naked eye, are poised to line up and march across the sky this summer in an unusual alignment that will be graced by the light of ... at the solar system from above ...
- 3Gbps LED light bulb WLAN achieved by Fraunhofer Heinrich Hertz Instituteon April 6, 2022 at 5:00 pm
New broadband components for visible light communication High-Speed Internet ... while a complete real-time system exhibited at trade fairs reached data throughput of 500 Mbit/s.
- Hackaday Prize Entry: Cheap Visible Light Communicationon April 3, 2022 at 4:59 pm
[Jovan] is very excited about the possibilities presented by Visible Light Communication ... He wants to build a system that could be used for a PAN (Personal Area Network).
via Bing News