Approach tackles most commonly used synthetic plastic
A new way of recycling millions of tons of plastic garbage into liquid fuel has been devised by researchers from the University of California, Irvine and the Shanghai Institute of Organic Chemistry (SIOC) in China.
“Synthetic plastics are a fundamental part of modern life, but our use of them in large volume has created serious environmental problems,” said UCI chemist Zhibin Guan. “Our goal through this research was to address the issue of plastic pollution as well as achieving a beneficial outcome of creating a new source of liquid fuel.”
Guan and Zheng Huang, his collaborator at SIOC, together with their colleagues have figured out how to break down the strong bonds of polyethylene, the most common commercially available form of plastic. Their innovative technique centers on the use of alkanes, specific types of hydrocarbon molecules, to scramble and separate polymer molecules into other useful compounds. The team’s findings were published recently in Science Advances.
Scientists have been seeking to recycle plastic bags, bottles and other trash generated by humans with less toxic or energy intensive methods. Current approaches include using caustic chemicals known as radicals or heating the material to more than 700 degrees Fahrenheit to break down the chemical bonds of the polymers.
In this newly discovered technique, the team degrades plastics in a milder and more efficient manner through a process known as cross-alkane metathesis. The substances needed for the new method are byproducts of oil refining, so they’re readily available.
Guan said the US-China joint team is still working on a few issues to make it more efficient. That includes increasing the catalyst activity and lifetime, decreasing the cost, and developing catalytic processes to turn other plastic trash into treasure.
The Latest on: Plastic waste
via Google News
The Latest on: Plastic waste
- App steps up fight against plastic wasteon August 5, 2022 at 2:00 pm
Tamsang-Tamsong, a community-based food delivery platform, is expanding to Phuket with the aim of reducing single-use plastic waste.
- URC kicks off plastic recycling initiativeon August 5, 2022 at 9:12 am
FOOD and beverage conglomerate Universal Robina Corp. (URC) has started initiatives to collect and recycle plastic waste as part of its overall goal to achieve plastic neutrality. "We are aiming to ...
- Is trying to recycle plastic a waste? Meet the scientists working to find new solutionson August 5, 2022 at 4:11 am
Shirley Knarr has been recycling since the 1970s, back when it was something few municipal governments did. She and some of her fellow residents in Santa Fe, New Mexico, are still ...
- Plastic Waste to Oil Market to Boost with Significant CAGR During the Forecast Period 2022-2028| Exclusive Report Spread Across 123 Pageson August 4, 2022 at 9:18 pm
Pages Report]"Plastic Waste to Oil Market" Insights 2022 By Types (Neste, Shell, OMV Group, PLASTIC ENERGY, Cynar ...
- Earth Mama Organics Goes Plastic Neutral to Combat Plastic Epidemicon August 4, 2022 at 12:54 pm
Through its partnership with rePurpose Global, a coalition of conscious consumers and companies dedicated to reducing waste, the company calculates all the plastic used in Earth Mama's products and ...
- Startup's advanced engineering process transforms plastic waste into building blockson August 4, 2022 at 10:13 am
There’s no doubt that plastic pollution is a problem for our planet. It shows up everywhere, from heaps of trash collected in the oceans to microplastics found in our blood. Los Angeles-based startup ...
- Comment: Companies are prepared to pay to stop plastic waste. Here’s how it could be done successfullyon August 4, 2022 at 5:13 am
Our world has a problem with plastic waste. According to a recent report from the Last Beach Cleanup and Beyond Plastics, the recycling rate for post-consumer plastic in the United States was just 5% ...
- This company is turning heaps of plastic trash into construction building blockson August 4, 2022 at 5:10 am
By 2040, estimates indicate that as much as 710 million tons of solid plastic waste will clog up the earth's ecosystem, in oceans, rivers and on land.
- Plastic waste is such a big issue, Estée Lauder is looking to space for helpon August 3, 2022 at 9:25 am
The International Space Station has awarded access to its orbiting lab for rethinking carbon and plastics, and beauty brand Estée Lauder is backing the effort.
- To cut plastic waste out of your life, start smallon August 2, 2022 at 12:04 pm
As soon as Carolyn Armstrong started looking for plastic in her life, she realized it was absolutely everywhere. There are the plastic water bottles and straws, of course, but also makeup, clothing, ...
via Bing News