Although electronic devices are shrinking all the time, the idea of a smart contact lens still seems wildly ambitious. Now Sony has reached even further into the realm of the hypothetical and yanked out something that trumps all the efforts we have seen before. A patent filing by the Japanese company reveals its vision for a contact lens that not only records video and images with a simple blink, but manages to store them right there and then on the user’s eyeballs.
Google, Samsung and a number of research groups have all made their plans for smart contact lenses public. The motivation behind these range from glucose monitoring to augmented reality to boosting vision through telescopic lenses. But one thing they have in common is that they are all early-stage prototypes or patented pipe dreams, with consumer-ready products seemingly still a ways off.
Sony’s patent application doesn’t change that, but does reveal an even bolder plan for a smarter, and probably scarier, piece of eyewear. Among the hardware built into the lens would be an image capture unit, a main control unit, storage module, antenna and a piezoelectric sensor.
The Latest on: Smart contact lens
via Google News
The Latest on: Smart contact lens
- I tried incredible see-through smartphone that costs HALF as much as an iPhone 14on September 18, 2022 at 11:30 am
IT’S NOT often that you see a smartphone that looks truly different to the run-of-the-mill rectangular slabs we’ve all become used to. That’s why my head turned when I saw the ...
- I think GoPro Hero 11 Black’s 8:7 sensor is the future of smartphone photographyon September 18, 2022 at 7:35 am
In a TikTok world GoPro’s ahead of the curve with its almost-square Hero 11 Black camera sensor I was at a Banks gig in London on the behest of my partner, who’s a bit younger than me – I’d never ...
- Should you buy a telephoto for your smartphone?on September 18, 2022 at 3:49 am
One of the first lenses I bought for my Redmi Note 4 smartphone, a model from 2017, was a macro lens, which allowed me to get close to some subjects with that entry-level model. The second lens I ...
- New Contact Lenses Filter Out Blue Lighton September 13, 2022 at 7:31 am
Some worry blue light damages the eye, resulting in gradual vision loss and discomfort. Johnson & Johnson's new contact lenses claim to change that.
- EYEBUYDIRECT LAUNCHES CITY SMART COLLECTIONon September 13, 2022 at 6:02 am
Eyebuydirect, the leading online retailer for prescription eyewear, has launched its City Smart Collection – the newest portfolio that pays homage to city living and the luxury that comes with it.
- Ambrane launches its first smart sunglasses with built-in speakers at Rs 4,999on September 12, 2022 at 6:11 am
The Glares provide connectivity up to 10 meters away. The eyewear has touch controls that can control different features such as accepting and rejecting calls ...
- Contact lenses are being wired to replace our phone screenson September 8, 2022 at 9:53 pm
In Saratoga, California, engineers are working to realize such a future, churning out prototypes of smart contact lenses stuffed with tiny circuits, batteries and tiny displays. When I visited Mojo ...
- Smart contact lens detects cancer using tearson September 6, 2022 at 5:00 pm
Researchers from the Terasaki Institute for Biomedical Innovation (TIBI) in Los Angeles are developing a contact lens that can capture and detect exosomes. These are nanometer-sized vesicles found in ...
- Augmented reality contact lenses could replace your phone screenon September 6, 2022 at 3:05 am
Engineers at Mojo Vision are churning out prototypes of a smart contact lens stuffed with tiny circuits, batteries and one of the world’s smallest displays.
- Best smart telescope in 2022on September 5, 2022 at 5:47 am
The best smart telescopes make it easy to observe & photograph faint deep sky objects even from light-polluted cities ...
via Bing News