Although electronic devices are shrinking all the time, the idea of a smart contact lens still seems wildly ambitious. Now Sony has reached even further into the realm of the hypothetical and yanked out something that trumps all the efforts we have seen before. A patent filing by the Japanese company reveals its vision for a contact lens that not only records video and images with a simple blink, but manages to store them right there and then on the user’s eyeballs.
Google, Samsung and a number of research groups have all made their plans for smart contact lenses public. The motivation behind these range from glucose monitoring to augmented reality to boosting vision through telescopic lenses. But one thing they have in common is that they are all early-stage prototypes or patented pipe dreams, with consumer-ready products seemingly still a ways off.
Sony’s patent application doesn’t change that, but does reveal an even bolder plan for a smarter, and probably scarier, piece of eyewear. Among the hardware built into the lens would be an image capture unit, a main control unit, storage module, antenna and a piezoelectric sensor.
Learn more: Sony files patent for contact lens that records what you see
The Latest on: Smart contact lens
[google_news title=”” keyword=”smart contact lens” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Smart contact lens
- Google Pixel Products We Expect in 2023: Pixel Fold, Pixel 8 and Moreon April 1, 2023 at 12:50 pm
Google usually announces new Pixel products throughout the year, but 2023 could end up being a particularly important moment for the company's device line. Google is rumored to be releasing its first ...
- Review: Smart rom-com ‘Rye Lane’ reps heart with style, plus more movies to watch at homeon March 31, 2023 at 5:08 pm
Quentin Dupieux's absurdist French action-comedy “Smoking Causes Coughing” on VOD; plus the "John Wick"-style Korean thriller "Kill Bonsoon" on Netflix.
- Don’t need a flagship like the Pixel 7? The Pixel 6a is $249 todayon March 30, 2023 at 7:50 am
The Google Pixel 6a has been overshadowed by the Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro, but it's still definitely worth it for its discounted price of $249 from Best Buy.
- Samsung’s $450 Galaxy A54 smartphone is up for preorder now — and we tried iton March 30, 2023 at 6:39 am
Samsung’s new $500 Galaxy A54 packs an advanced camera system and a 120Hz display into a design that looks nearly as nice as the Galaxy S23.
- Global Contact Lenses Strategic Business Report 2023: Smart Contact Lenses Emerge as Next Stop for Sophisticated Wearable Technologyon March 29, 2023 at 11:26 pm
Dublin, March 23, 2023 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The "Contact Lenses: Global Strategic Business Report" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The global market for Contact Lenses ...
- Contact Lenses Market Size to Hit USD 11.72 Billion by 2030 at 3.50% CAGR – Report by Market Research Future (MRFR)on March 29, 2023 at 7:38 am
Moreover, the smart contact lenses market leading players are involved in developing awareness campaigns and establishing innovative products, which are predicted to promote the growth of daily ...
- Contact Lenses Market Size to Hit USD 11.72 Billion by 2030 at 3.50% CAGR – Report by Market Research Future (MRFR)on March 29, 2023 at 7:30 am
By Design (Spherical, Toric, Multifocal, Monovision, and Cosmetic), By Material (Silicone Hydrogel, Hydrogel, Glass Permeable, Hybrid, and Polymethyl Methacrylate (PMMA)), By Type (Opaque Contact ...
- 10 tips for recording better video with your smartphoneon March 28, 2023 at 6:01 am
Recording video has never been so easy or effortless. Everyone has a powerful video camera in their pocket: a smartphone. In fact, smartphones have become more important as mobile creativity tools, to ...
- Rekkie's smart snow goggles prove that AR is useful right nowon March 28, 2023 at 5:00 am
So I was excited to discover Rekkie, an independent manufacturer that launched its first pair of goggles with a built-in heads-up display last year. At $349, Rekkie’s offering is still pricey, but ...
- Smart Contact Lenses Market Share and Forecast till 2030on March 27, 2023 at 6:52 pm
What is the Smart Contact Lenses market growth? Smart Contact Lenses Market Size is projected to Reach Multimillion USD by 2028, In comparison to 2023, at unexpected CAGR during the forecast Period ...
via Bing News