Researchers at the CRANN nanoscience institute at Trinity College Dublin have discovered a new clean energy material that will increase the adoption of hydrogen as a fuel in energy-efficient transport.
Hydrogen has been described as the ultimate clean energy source and, potentially, a real alternative to fossil fuels.
It is seen as very attractive as it is a pollution-free fuel and energy carrier that would satisfy much of the energy requirements of our society.
Hydrogen is readily prepared by splitting water electrically into its component parts hydrogen and oxygen; a process called electrolysis. However, this process requires a significant energy input.
‘Our disruptive materials breakthrough is momentous as it means much more energetically efficient and more economical hydrogen energy’
– PROF MIKE LYONS, CRANN
But now, researchers at CRANN have developed a material that enhances the splitting of water at a very low energy cost using Earth-abundant raw materials.
The Latest on: Hydrogen fuel
via Google News
The Latest on: Hydrogen fuel
- Decarbonizing Road Transport: A $160 Billion Role for Hydrogen Fuel Cells, Finds IDTechEx Researchon October 11, 2021 at 6:59 am
Incorporating a fuel cell into an electric vehicle powertrain, generating electricity from hydrogen, offers a technology pathway that delivers the critical reduction in on-road exhaust emissions ...
- Toyota Mirai hydrogen fuel cell EV enters Guinness book: Records longest range for an FCEVon October 11, 2021 at 5:42 am
Toyota Mirai now holds a world record for the longest range ever achieved by a fuel cell EV on a single hydrogen fill by covering over 1300 km in two days.
- HyPoint working with BASF New Business to develop high-performance hydrogen fuel cell membranes for aviation; >3,000 W/kgon October 11, 2021 at 1:04 am
HyPoint, a company developing turbo air-cooled hydrogen-fuel-cell systems for aviation and urban air mobility (earlier post), has entered into a strategic development agreement with BASF New Business ...
- Fuel Cell Industry Giants Join Forces to Develop High-Performance Hydrogen Fueling Systemon October 10, 2021 at 11:52 pm
Despite ongoing debates about the disadvantages of hydrogen, most players in the automotive industry seem to agree that hydrogen fuel cell systems are the answer for carbon-neutral transportation.
- New BASF membrane adds 50% more power to HyPoint hydrogen fuel cellson October 10, 2021 at 8:52 pm
HyPoint's aviation-targeted fuel cells were already promising three times the power of a regular fuel cell by weight, but thanks to a new proton-conductive membrane developed in partnership with BASF, ...
- Hydrogen Fuel Cell Day News Toyota Mirai Goes 845 Miles Zero Emissionson October 10, 2021 at 12:21 pm
Toyota Mirai has officially set the GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS title for the longest distance by a hydrogen fuel cell electric vehicle without refueling. The Mirai achieved an unprecedented 845 miles ...
- Toyota Mirai hydrogen fuel-cell car goes 845 miles between fills—driven very slowlyon October 10, 2021 at 5:00 am
Just as with battery electric cars, driving the Mirai fuel-cell EV very slowly accomplishes far more than its rated range.
- Hyundai Will Invest $1.1 Billion To Build Two New Hydrogen Fuel Cell Facilities In Koreaon October 9, 2021 at 2:59 am
Hyundai announced that it plans to open two new fuel cell plants in Korea to accelerate the growth of its hydrogen business. The automaker said at the groundbreaking ceremony in Incheon, where the new ...
- For Seventh Consecutive Year, National Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Day is Officially Recognized by U.S. Governmenton October 8, 2021 at 11:25 am
For the seventh consecutive year, the U.S. federal government officially recognized October 8 as National Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Day with the passage of United States Senate Resolution 412 and ...
- Celebrate National Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Day 2021 with H2 Viewon October 8, 2021 at 4:07 am
Today (Oct 8) marks the seventh year that hydrogen and fuel cell enthusiasts across the US are celebrating National Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Day. Celebrated on the 8 th October in recognition of the ...
via Bing News