Scientists at Queen’s University Belfast have discovered a new molecule which has the potential to prolong the life of individuals with cystic fibrosis (CF).
The molecule represents a possible future treatment and works by altering cellular ion channels resulting in improved airway hydration and significantly increased mucus clearance.
For individuals with CF, normal airway clearance mechanisms which keep the lungs free of infection are defective. As a result, a build-up of mucus occurs and predisposes the individual to chronic bacterial infection. The ensuing cycles of chronic infection and airway inflammation cause progressive destruction of the airways, which is ultimately fatal.
The innovative approach could reduce the frequency of these infections through a novel protease inhibitor which prevents activation of the epithelial sodium channel; ENaC.
The research involved a team of scientists from Queen’s University alongside colleagues at the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland and the University of North Carolina, and was funded by The Cystic Fibrosis Trust.
Speaking about the breakthrough, Dr Lorraine Martin from the School of Pharmacy at Queen’s University Belfast, said: “This is an important finding which could provide a novel therapeutic opportunity relevant to all individuals with CF, as the targeting of ENaC is independent of their underlying CF mutation. This strategy could prevent the significant lung damage that results from chronic cycles of infection and inflammation, with potential impact on quality of life as well as life expectancy. This is a further example of Queen’s University’s research advancing knowledge and changing lives.”
Ed Owen, Chief Executive at the Cystic Fibrosis Trust, said: “We are thrilled with these initial findings and are excited to see how the next stage of preclinical testing progresses. We are pleased to have been able to fund this world class project at its early stage and welcome the drug development programme planned over the coming years. Research is the biggest single area of investment for the Cystic Fibrosis Trust and it’s wonderful to see projects like this making such positive progress in our fight for a life unlimited.”
Currently available pharmacological alternatives are only suitable for a small subset of patients depending on the disease-causing genetic mutation.
The Latest on: Cystic Fibrosis
via Google News
The Latest on: Cystic Fibrosis
- 2021 Insights into the Global Cystic Fibrosis Clinical Trial Pipeline - ResearchAndMarkets.comon January 20, 2021 at 10:03 pm
The “Global Cystic Fibrosis Clinical Trial Pipeline Highlights - 2021” report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com’s offering. This report provides the most up-to-date information on key pipeline ...
- Eloxx Announces Publication of Scientific Manuscript on ELX-02 in the Journal of Clinical ...on January 20, 2021 at 9:54 pm
(GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Eloxx Pharmaceuticals, Inc., (NASDAQ: ELOX) a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company dedicated to the discovery and development of novel therapeutics to treat cystic fibrosis and ...
- 'Miracle' drug transforms life of young woman with cystic fibrosison January 19, 2021 at 9:00 pm
Isobel Richards previously struggled to walk up the stairs without taking a break but says her life has now 'completely changed' ...
- Family of Ontario brothers with Cystic Fibrosis fight for province’s help to access vital drugson January 19, 2021 at 3:59 pm
Family of Ontario brothers with Cystic Fibrosis fight to fast track life-saving drug For Canadians with Cystic Fibrosis (CF), there may be a tiny silver lining to the COVID-19 pandemic. “All of the ...
- Family of Ontario brothers with Cystic Fibrosis fight to fast track life-saving drugon January 19, 2021 at 2:45 pm
Watch Family of Ontario brothers with Cystic Fibrosis fight to fast track life-saving drug Video Online, on GlobalNews.ca ...
- Cystic Fibrosis Market Overview By Share, Size, Industry Players, Revenue and Product Demandon January 19, 2021 at 8:32 am
Cystic Fibrosis Market Prospects & Upcoming Trends and Opportunities Analyzed for Coming Years "The report on the global cystic fibrosis (CF) market provides qualitative and quantitative analysis for ...
- Drag star uses shows to raise awareness of cystic fibrosison January 14, 2021 at 3:45 am
Jordan McKinley may have cystic fibrosis but, as a teenager, discovered a love of drag and became artist Jordy Deelight. Despite spending years in and out of hospital, Jordy has not let their ...
- Cystic Fibrosis Market Size, Revenue, Demand, Shares, Analysis and Forecasts to 2025on January 13, 2021 at 10:37 am
Information By Treatment Method (Medication, Devices, Others) and By Region (North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific and the Middle East & Africa) – Forecast till 2025 According to a recent study report ...
- Medicare Coverage for Cystic Fibrosis: Testing, Management, and Treatmentson January 12, 2021 at 1:31 pm
Medicare covers the testing, treatment, and care you need for cystic fibrosis. Find out exactly what's covered by the different parts of Medicare.
- Vertex Pharma taking more aggressive M&A stance, flush with cash from cystic fibrosis drugson January 11, 2021 at 8:40 am
With its balance sheet growing with cash from its cystic fibrosis drugs, Vertex has the “financial firepower” to consider deals, CEO says.
via Bing News