A new glue that forms a strong bond when activated by low voltage electricity may be the first of its kind.
Researchers at Nanyang Technological University in Singapore believe the adhesive may be a game-changer in manufacturing fields as diverse as biological implants and automobiles.
The new adhesive is a liquid gel that “cures” to form a polymer bond when a voltage of less than two volts is passed through it. Curing is the amount of time it takes for a glue to reach full strength after it dries. The glue stops curing as soon as the current is turned off. Users can fine-tune the bond’s strength and flexibility by varying the current’s voltage and duration.
The bonding agent is a light, low-viscosity flowing liquid that allows users to coat and exactly position the materials to be joined. Applying voltage to the gel then rapidly cures it to a strong bond with high elasticity and high shear strength.
Currently available quick-curing adhesives used in industry are activated by light, heat or chemical catalysts, each of which limits uses to particular materials and appropriate environments. Light-activated adhesives, for example, are only suited to materials that are somewhat transparent, while thermosetting can only be used with components that can tolerate heat.
Such quick-curing adhesives are used widely in the manufacture of medical devices, automobiles and other consumer goods, where they are favoured over more labour-intensive, heavier mechanical fasteners such as rivets, screws or bolts, which weaken the materials to be fixed. However, there has been little innovation in the field for decades.
Potential uses for electro-cured adhesives include biological devices for which photo- or thermo-setting glues are problematic, such as bioelectronics or polymer electronics designed for attachment to living tissue. The adhesive can be tuned to handle certain vibration frequencies or to match the firmness and flexibility of the soft tissue to which it will be attached.
Learn more: New glue instantly hardens with electric current
The Latest on: Adhesive
via Google News
The Latest on: Adhesive
- Global and United States Solvent-free Polyurethane Adhesive Market Insights, Forecast to 2027on October 16, 2021 at 5:21 am
Pages Report] Check for Discount on Global and United States Solvent-free Polyurethane Adhesive Market Insights, Forecast to 2027 report by QYResearch Group. Solvent-free Polyurethane Adhesive market ...
- Global and Japan Water Based Flocking Adhesive Market Insights, Forecast to 2027on October 16, 2021 at 5:19 am
Pages Report] Check for Discount on Global and Japan Water Based Flocking Adhesive Market Insights, Forecast to 2027 report by QYResearch Group. Water Based Flocking Adhesive market is segmented by ...
- 48 Home Improvement Products Under $30 That Make A Big Impacton October 16, 2021 at 1:00 am
But there are plenty of products that make a huge difference for less money than you’d expect. If you’re willing to do a little bit of organizing and put in some elbow grease and sweat equity, you’d ...
- Adhesive use in body shops has skyrocketed; Toyota releases guidelineson October 14, 2021 at 4:00 am
Adhesive materials use has become commonplace for collision repair shops. Advanced adhesives and sealants in vehicle assembly have eased the need for mechanical fasteners ...
- Global Adhesive Primer Market 2021 Analytical Assessment, Key Drivers, Growth and Opportunities to 2027on October 13, 2021 at 2:04 pm
The report named Global Adhesive Primer Market 2021 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2027 presents this market’s past performance analysis, latest market performance ...
- Water adhesive properties of bird eggshells linked to climate and nest environmenton October 13, 2021 at 7:58 am
New research led by academics at Royal Holloway, University of London, has revealed how the moisture-resistance of bird eggshells has evolved to thrive in different environments.
- Medical Fibrin Adhesive Market 2021 Manufacturers, Suppliers and Export Research Report and Forecast to 2027on October 13, 2021 at 12:28 am
Medical Fibrin Adhesive Market” is a structure for all the market-related information from the investments, regional development to the forthcoming market growth. It also shows the market analysis ...
- Dymax releases 1040-M adhesive for repeated sterilizationson October 12, 2021 at 11:49 am
Dymax Corp. has released its new 1040-M adhesive for surgical tools and devices that are subject to repeated autoclave or Sterrad plasma sterilization.
- Havas and Adhesive PR talent launch new influencer agency Yellowon October 12, 2021 at 11:17 am
Ex-Havas talent Tim Rasbash and Adhesive PR’s Mike Maurice have launched an ambassador, advocacy and influencer agency called Yellow.Yellow is independent from Adhesive PR, although the two agencies ...
- After Lockdown Effect and Opportunities to Adhesive Dispersions Marketon October 12, 2021 at 5:09 am
According to new Adhesive Dispersions reports available with Prophecy Market Insights, the Adhesive Dispersions offers in-depth assessment of the growth, size, competitive landscape and other aspects ...
via Bing News