Scientists at the University of Sheffield have created a computer model of how bees avoid hitting walls – which could be a breakthrough in the development of autonomous robots.
Researchers from the Department of Computer Science built their computer model to look at how bees use vision to detect the movement of the world around them and avoid crashes.
Bees control their flight using the speed of motion – or optic flow – of the visual world around them, but it is not known how they do this. The only neural circuits so far found in the insect brain can tell the direction of motion, not the speed.
This study suggests how motion-direction detecting circuits could be wired together to also detect motion-speed, which is crucial for controlling bees’ flight.
“Honeybees are excellent navigators and explorers, using vision extensively in these tasks, despite having a brain of only one million neurons,” said Dr Alex Cope, lead researcher on the paper.
“Understanding how bees avoid walls, and what information they can use to navigate, moves us closer to the development of efficient algorithms for navigation and routing – which would greatly enhance the performance of autonomous flying robotics”, he added.
Professor James Marshall, lead investigator on the project, added: “This is the reason why bees are confused by windows – since they are transparent they generate hardly any optic flow as bees approach them.”
Dr Cope and his fellow researchers on the project; Dr Chelsea Sabo, Dr Eleni Vasilaki, Professor Kevin Gurney, and Professor James Marshall, are now using this research to investigate how bees understand which direction they are pointing in and use this knowledge to solve tasks.
The Latest on: Robot development
via Google News
The Latest on: Robot development
- Pandemic boosts demand for cleaning robots in Hong Kong’s shopping malls, offices and hotelson April 13, 2021 at 4:05 pm
New World Development has even invested in Rice Robotics and said in March it would order an extra 60 robots from the company for properties like K11 Musea, its shopping centre in Tsim Sha Tsui. Kim ...
- Delivery Drones and Robots: The Future of Security and Surveillance for Organizations?on April 13, 2021 at 1:00 pm
Increased investment in development of advanced robotic systems, expansion of e-commerce industry, growing commercialization of delivery drones and robots are the key attributes contributing towards ...
- Internet freaks out over NYPD ‘black mirror’ robot dog, but should we be worried?on April 13, 2021 at 12:55 pm
Straight out of an episode of Black Mirror, New York ’s police department first revealed its robot dog unit “Digidog” back in December 2020, and a new video of it in action is again causing a stir.
- Modular mobile robot can take on multiple roles at construction siteon April 13, 2021 at 9:33 am
The development team aims to work on AI simulations of work environments in the future, so that the robot can benefit from thousands of hours of training before arriving at a site. And a Baubot ...
- Equinor supporting inspection robot developmenton April 13, 2021 at 8:52 am
VIENNA, Austria – Equinor plans to deploy autonomous ATEX-certified inspection robots on its oil and gas installations, according to inspection robotics specialist Taurob. The ‘Taurob Inspector,’ the ...
- Agriculture Robots Market to Witness Tremendous Growth in Forecasted Period 2021-2026on April 13, 2021 at 8:49 am
The growing need for high capital investments and the lack of standardization and the safety concerns are estimated to hamper the development of the global agriculture robots market in the near future ...
- Construction Robots Market to Reach US$ 470.61 Mn by 2026; New TMR Report Explores Impact of COVID-19 Outbreakon April 13, 2021 at 8:27 am
Albany, NY -- (SBWIRE) -- 04/13/2021 -- Robotics is a branch of engineering that deals with the development, design, construction, and operating of a robot. Robotics comprises electrical, mechanical, ...
- Medical Robotic Systems Market 2021 Global Technology, Development, Industry Share, Size, Growth, Trends and COVID-19 Impact Analysis 2027on April 12, 2021 at 8:31 am
The market is mushroomed with medical robots that are commercially available to carry out research and development on a large scale so as to introduce innovative technologies in them. With the help of ...
- MIT rapid development system creates robot starfish in hourson April 12, 2021 at 5:01 am
MIT has developed a new system meant to build a robo-starfish for studying underwater marine life quickly. Researchers say that when trying to study marine life, it helps to use a device that ...
- Global 369.9 Mn Delta Robots Market Technological Advancement, Business Development and Top-Vendor Landscape to 2031on April 12, 2021 at 12:43 am
Business tactics focus on the key Delta Robots strategically manufacturers, to define, describe and analyze their growth strategies, sales volume, value, market share, market competition landscape, ...
via Bing News