Scientists at the University of Sheffield have created a computer model of how bees avoid hitting walls – which could be a breakthrough in the development of autonomous robots.
Researchers from the Department of Computer Science built their computer model to look at how bees use vision to detect the movement of the world around them and avoid crashes.
Bees control their flight using the speed of motion – or optic flow – of the visual world around them, but it is not known how they do this. The only neural circuits so far found in the insect brain can tell the direction of motion, not the speed.
This study suggests how motion-direction detecting circuits could be wired together to also detect motion-speed, which is crucial for controlling bees’ flight.
“Honeybees are excellent navigators and explorers, using vision extensively in these tasks, despite having a brain of only one million neurons,” said Dr Alex Cope, lead researcher on the paper.
“Understanding how bees avoid walls, and what information they can use to navigate, moves us closer to the development of efficient algorithms for navigation and routing – which would greatly enhance the performance of autonomous flying robotics”, he added.
Professor James Marshall, lead investigator on the project, added: “This is the reason why bees are confused by windows – since they are transparent they generate hardly any optic flow as bees approach them.”
Dr Cope and his fellow researchers on the project; Dr Chelsea Sabo, Dr Eleni Vasilaki, Professor Kevin Gurney, and Professor James Marshall, are now using this research to investigate how bees understand which direction they are pointing in and use this knowledge to solve tasks.
The Latest on: Robot development
via Google News
The Latest on: Robot development
- Schnucks first grocer deploying robots chainwideon August 26, 2021 at 3:20 pm
Schnuck Markets, Inc. on Thursday announced an industry-first ...
- Garden Robots Market Size 2021 And Forecast to 2028 | Keyplayers – Franklinrobotics, The Kobi, Grillbot, Harvest Automationon August 26, 2021 at 3:05 pm
In addition, the global Garden Robots Market is expected to grow at a CAGR of about XX % over the next five years, will reach XX Billion US $in 2020, XX Billion US $in 2028 Get | Download Sample Copy ...
- Nuro Building Las Vegas Factory, Test Track For Electric Delivery Robotson August 26, 2021 at 11:00 am
The developer of autonomous driving tech backed by SoftBank is investing $40 million to set up an assembly facility and test track to supply tens of thousands of battery-powered robotic delivery ...
- Nuro is building a factory and test track in Nevada for its autonomous delivery robotson August 26, 2021 at 11:00 am
Nuro, the autonomous delivery startup founded by two ex-Google engineers, announced a dramatic expansion of its physical footprint. The company said it will spend $40 million on the construction of a ...
- Schnuck Markets becomes the first grocer to deploy intelligence robots chainwideon August 26, 2021 at 9:00 am
Schnuck Markets, Inc. announced an industry-first. Their chainwide expansion with Simbe Robotics’ will eventually bring Tally robots to all 111 Schnucks locations across the U.S.
- Investigation points to factory robot as a potential reason for Chevy Bolt fireson August 26, 2021 at 4:07 am
With the push to transition people worldwide from traditional combustion-powered vehicles to electric vehicles, development is happening very quickly for electric vehicles. However, there are some ...
- Global Intelligent Cooking Robot Market 2021 Outlook to 2027 Top Companies in Market, Trends, Growth Factors and Details for Business Developmenton August 25, 2021 at 11:15 pm
Aug 26, 2021 (The Expresswire) -- "Final Report will add the analysis of the impact of COVID-19 on this industry" “Intelligent Cooking Robot Market” share ...
- Are you ready for sentient Disney robots?on August 25, 2021 at 7:42 am
Some of the animatronics at Disney’s parks have been doing their herky-jerky thing since the Nixon administration. The company knows that nostalgia won’t cut it with today’s children.
- 'Tas Global' commercializes world's first hull cleaning robot systemon August 25, 2021 at 6:01 am
"We have commercialized an economical and environment-friendly underwater robot cleaning system for the first in the world." Awarded the new technology representative certification in the mechanics ...
- Shape-Shifting Robots: The Latest Robotic Developmenton August 24, 2021 at 9:23 pm
According to recent robotic industry developments, shape-shifting robots are being prepared with advanced abilities to alter their robotic exoskeletons.
via Bing News