Alcohol addiction causes almost 3.8 per cent of deaths worldwide but a study led by QUT researchers offers new hope in the form of a drug already approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
Neuroscientist Professor Selena Bartlett from QUT’s Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation said the drug, pindolol, is an inexpensive approach for treating alcohol dependence once the human clinical trials are conducted.
“Drugs currently used for AUDs (alcohol use disorders) – acamprosate, naltrexone and disulfiram – have limited success – so this is a ground-breaking development with enormous potential,” said Professor Bartlett who is based at the Translational Research Institute.
“In an internationally-significant breakthrough, our study showed pindolol was able to reduce ethanol/alcohol consumption, particularly in relation to binge drinking, a key behaviour observed in human alcohol dependence.”
The study has been published in Addiction Biology, the Journal of the Society for the Study of Addiction.
Researcher Omkar Patkar said the preclinical study is the first step towards fast tracking pindolol into human clinical studies as a treatment option for AUDs.
“Pindolol is an FDA-approved beta blocker already used to treat high blood pressure and angina,” said Mr Patkar.
“Data collected from our study found that pindolol diminishes ethanol intake in animal models of binge-alcohol consumption.
“More research is required but we believe the results from our study show that pindolol represents a novel, safe and ready to test treatment therapy option for managing alcohol dependence in humans.”
Learn more: New, safe and ready treatment for alcohol addiction
The Latest on: Treatment for alcohol addiction
[google_news title=”” keyword=”treatment for alcohol addiction” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Treatment for alcohol addiction
- How alcohol tax increase could impact restaurant industryon March 21, 2023 at 11:58 pm
""We know we have a high rate of DWIs and fatalities in substance abuse, but we also have a massive issue with homelessness and the lack of entities that address treatment for people with mental ...
- States launch mobile addiction clinics to combat fentanyl epidemicon March 21, 2023 at 11:53 pm
Addiction experts say fentanyl is the backbone of drug overdose deaths. Mobile clinics are going straight to the people who may not have otherwise gotten treatment for their addiction.
- Some roadblocks to lifesaving addiction treatment are gone. Now what?on March 21, 2023 at 12:15 pm
The federal government has lifted restrictions on one of the most effective opioid addiction treatment medications. Will mainstream doctors and nurses now treat addiction as a common disease?
- Study suggests interprofessional team training could prove effective in alcohol use disorder prevention and treatmenton March 21, 2023 at 9:50 am
An LSU Health New Orleans study demonstrated the effectiveness of single, focused Interprofessional Education (IPE)-based exercises in preparing young health professions learners to limit or prevent ...
- Donovan: Problem gambling is an addictionon March 21, 2023 at 4:30 am
Problem gambling can be as addictive as drugs or alcohol. Casino games, lottery tickets, horse racing and sports betting are types of gambling that can be fun forms of entertainment ...
- Dublin students launch support app for teenage substance abuseon March 20, 2023 at 2:17 pm
Two Dublin High School students have launched an online platform that provides support for teenagers who may be struggling with alcohol abuse. The website and app, My Alcohol Story, allows users to ...
- Clinical Trial Exploring Psilocybin Therapy As A Treatment For Alcohol Use Disorder Achieves New Milestoneon March 20, 2023 at 5:09 am
Clairvoyant Therapeutics announced that the first clinical trial participant in Finland enrolled in CLA-PSY-201 has received their first dose of the drug along with motivational enhancement therapy.
- Lima Municipal Treatment Court is helping people who struggle with drug and alcohol addictionon March 19, 2023 at 2:39 pm
The Lima Municipal Treatment Court is helping those addicted to drugs or alcohol get the second chance they need. There is two programs in at the Lima municipal court, the ...
- Addiction treatment providers stress need for regulatory changes to meet need in rural Pa.on March 10, 2023 at 2:33 am
Lawmakers heard from addiction specialists and treatment providers in Harrisburg Thursday on the continued impact of the state’s opioid crisis in rural communities.
- Should Americans who abuse alcohol lose the 'license to drink'? Here's how it could work.on March 10, 2023 at 2:15 am
Americans’ relationship to alcohol is a topic of renewed interest, with drinking spiking during the pandemic and louder calls for increasing alcohol taxes to reduce consumption.
via Bing News