Weaning cars and trucks off of gasoline and diesel made from fossil fuels is a difficult task. One promising solution involves biodiesel, which comes from natural oils and fats, but it is costly. Using a microwave and catalyst-coated beads, scientists have devised a new way to convert waste cooking oil into biodiesel that could make it more affordable.
They report how they did it in ACS’ journal Energy & Fuels.
Biodiesel has many advantages over traditional fuels. It is renewable, biodegradable and emits less carbon dioxide. It can also easily take the place of conventional diesel without the need for carmakers to modify engines. However, producing biodiesel at a low cost remains a challenge. Waste cooking oil is currently the most appealing source because it doesn’t compete with the demand for virgin cooking oil. However, the process to convert it to fuel is complicated and expensive. Aharon Gedanken and colleagues wanted to find a simpler and less expensive method.
The researchers developed silica beads coated with a catalyst and added them to waste cooking oil. Then, they zapped the mixture with a modified microwave oven to spur the reaction of the beads with cooking oil. In just 10 seconds, nearly 100 percent of the oil was converted to fuel. The researchers could also easily recover the beads and reuse them at least 10 times with similar results.
The Latest on: Biodiesel
via Google News
The Latest on: Biodiesel
- Quick adoption in construction & mining: L&T, Komatsu looking for steady biodiesel supplyon June 17, 2022 at 5:45 pm
India’s target for biodiesel production was 200 million litre in 2021, Garg said. But a steady supply of biodiesel conforming to global standards required for heavy off-highway machines was currently ...
- Wolf administration says Pa. is having ‘rolling outages’ of diesel fuel, makes move to allow sales of out-of-state fuelon June 17, 2022 at 2:47 pm
The Wolf administration on Friday acknowledged “rolling outages” of diesel fuel across the state and said it was temporarily dropping a biodiesel requirement — a move that will allow out-of-state ...
- Global Biodiesel Market Analysis Report 2022: Market to Surpass $40 Billion by 2026 - Emergence of New Feedstocks to Propel Biodiesel Productionon June 17, 2022 at 1:31 pm
DUBLIN, June 17, 2022 /PRNewswire/ -- The "Biodiesel - Global Market Trajectory & Analytics" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. Global Biodiesel Market to Reach US$40.2 ...
- Farm to fuel tank: How used cooking oil is fueling biodieselon June 17, 2022 at 10:34 am
Alex Bell shares how Crimson Renewable Energy collects used cooking oil from restaurants and turns it into biodiesel.
- Cargill completes biodiesel plant project in Belgiumon June 17, 2022 at 4:25 am
Cargill has completed its first state-of-the-art advanced biodiesel plant in Ghent, Belgium, which converts waste oils and residues into renewable fuel. The advanced biodiesel produced at the facility ...
- How sustainable green fuels are changing the game for the future?on June 17, 2022 at 3:48 am
Environment-conscious people all across the world have slowly been switching to biofuels, leaving the traditional fuels.
- Cargill completes advanced biodiesel planton June 16, 2022 at 6:47 am
In a move aimed at reducing greenhouse gas emissions and promoting circular fuel possibilities, Cargill has completed its first advanced biodiesel plant in Ghent, Belgium, which converts waste oils ...
- Biodiesel Market Insights, Leading Players, Growth And Business Opportunities By 2029on June 16, 2022 at 3:46 am
The Biodiesel Market Explosion. To Help Businesses Launch Beyond Borders. The Report Presents Statistics and Trends About the Biodiesel Industry Since 2022 And Also Gives Estimates of the Future ...
- Khargone: Over 6,138-litre biodiesel seized, three bookedon June 15, 2022 at 9:14 am
A joint team, comprising food, revenue and weights and measures departments, carried out a raid at a private firm here at Nimrani village in Kasrawad in Khargone district and seized over 6,138 litres ...
- Biodiesel Market Size, Share, Analysis, Growth, Company Profiles, Competitive Landscape and Key Regions Analysis (2022-2029)on June 14, 2022 at 4:28 am
Jun 14, 2022 (The Expresswire) -- Global "Biodiesel Market" research report covers the major industry players including business summary, Biodiesel market size, share, product terms, production ...
via Bing News